11:03:55 <Stskeeps> #startmeeting Nemo Steering Group Meeting
11:03:55 <MerBot> Meeting started Tue Jan  3 11:03:55 2012 UTC.  The chair is Stskeeps. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
11:03:55 <MerBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
11:04:31 <Stskeeps> welcome to the first steering group meeting in the new year :)
11:04:44 <veskuh> :)
11:05:17 <jukkaeklund> hi!
11:05:41 <Stskeeps> after last steering group meeting we released 0.20111208.2.NEMO.2011-12-22.1
11:05:46 <Sage> o/
11:05:49 <Stskeeps> which was met with quite good reviews, as far as i could see
11:05:58 <jukkaeklund> yes, very much
11:06:08 <veskuh> #info Good feedback for Nemo #12-22
11:06:21 <veskuh> (a bit more minutes)
11:06:22 <Stskeeps> #link http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20111208.2.NEMO.2011-12-22.1/
11:06:54 <Stskeeps> we had another round of bug triage, managing to get through all nonprioritized bugs yesterday,
11:07:15 <Stskeeps> #link http://mer.bfst.de/meetings/mer-meeting/2012/mer-meeting.2012-01-02-08.04.html
11:09:12 <alterego> Happy New Year :)
11:09:36 <Stskeeps> you too
11:10:22 <Stskeeps> welcome harha as well :)
11:10:30 <harha> Thanks
11:10:40 <Stskeeps> so, what are we doing currently? we're working on the toolchain upgrade and fixing up last packages, so we can validate it with nemo images
11:11:16 <Stskeeps> ie, fixing up things in nemo as the linker is more strict now
11:11:29 <iekku> hi
11:11:31 <Stskeeps> which should yield better app launch times too
11:12:09 <jukkaeklund> Q: will you check that nemo remains binary compatible with harmattan?
11:12:30 <jukkaeklund> meaning at least same level as before
11:12:42 <alterego> I think we can probably do that :)
11:13:00 <alterego> Biggest issue will probably when we want to use a newer version of Qt ..
11:13:04 <Stskeeps> given that gcc c++ abi isn't changing, we should be on a decent side
11:13:05 <jukkaeklund> yep
11:13:21 <veskuh> It would be really important from app developer perspective since harmattan sdk is the only user friendly tool available for app development
11:13:36 <jukkaeklund> though Qt is already newer isn't it
11:13:37 <veskuh> ..Nokia QtSDK to be more precise
11:13:43 <alterego> Yesa
11:13:49 <Stskeeps> jukkaeklund: right, we're about to embark on 4.8.0 and things still seem to work
11:13:49 <alterego> s/a//
11:13:58 <Stskeeps> (harmattan's 4.7)
11:14:06 <jukkaeklund> which sounds good
11:14:19 <veskuh> between 4.7 and 4.8 there is not too much changes. 5 is different story
11:14:28 <harha> Good, but Vesku has valid point anyway ..
11:14:45 <harha> About QtSDK
11:15:02 <Stskeeps> i'm waiting a bit to see what QtOnPi guys has in mind for SDK, as that will drive Mer direction too
11:15:08 <jukkaeklund> yeah
11:15:14 <Stskeeps> as those are people who are intimately involved with the qt sdk
11:15:34 <harha> ok
11:15:48 <Stskeeps> with the SB2 work that has been done with OBS, we can probably start offering a nice platform SDK as well
11:16:28 <veskuh> Stskeeps: that would be nice, I still haven't got local builds from C-OBS decently working
11:16:39 <veskuh> SB2 would be much nicer
11:16:39 <Stskeeps> status on this is that all packages in Mer build at this moment, so we'll switch to this once the next release are out the door likely
11:18:08 <w00t> alterego: Qt is forwards-compatible (meaning you can take apps built for 4.7 and run them on 4.8 but not backwards (4.8 may not run on 4.7)
11:18:35 <alterego> w00t: ah, right :)
11:19:02 <w00t> we already run 4.8 RC, I'll probably try (again) to get 4.8 final done tonight in mer
11:19:12 <Stskeeps> on development pace side, i'm testing out phaeron's patch for OBS that allows us to get results on integration much faster, ie, one central package modification won't cause a full rebuild anymore
11:19:16 <jukkaeklund> w00t, cool
11:19:36 <Stskeeps> so there'll be faster response on nemo BOSS process and on mer contributions
11:19:51 <jukkaeklund> would that help with getting smaller zypper updates also..?
11:19:52 <veskuh> Stskeeps: And a lot less load on machinery I suppose
11:19:56 <Stskeeps> veskuh: that too
11:20:15 <Sage> jukkaeklund: yes
11:20:17 <Stskeeps> jukkaeklund: we can possibly add delta rpms from one mer release to another
11:20:22 <Stskeeps> as well
11:20:41 <jukkaeklund> dudes, you are making my day :)
11:20:58 <Stskeeps> let me file an architectual bug about that
11:21:18 <alterego> delta RPMs, whacky.
11:21:46 <Sage> ok, I just finished fixing the Project:MTF:Tracker packages against the new Mer prelease so we should get test images out soon.
11:22:07 <veskuh> Sage and that is with new toolchain?
11:22:15 <Sage> yes
11:22:46 <veskuh> #info test image of Nemo with new toolchain and latest Mer coming soon
11:23:17 <veskuh> #info I did a tutorial of using QtSDK to build apps for Nemo
11:23:21 <veskuh> #link http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo/GettingStartedUsingQtSDK
11:23:32 <jukkaeklund> veskuh, that was great thanks
11:23:46 <alterego> Cool
11:24:03 <Stskeeps> btw, qtonpi is rpm based
11:24:23 <veskuh> #info I have 2 more tutorials on TODO list that I'll do unless somebody does them first
11:24:24 <Stskeeps> and we already agreed to collaborate on shared packaging type if possible
11:24:28 <veskuh> #info 1) Getting started in using Community OBS for building packages for Nemo
11:24:39 <veskuh> #info 2) Getting started in fixing bugs in existing software packages of Nemo
11:25:14 <veskuh> Stskeeps: great
11:27:47 <Stskeeps> and again, remember there's a meetup/devroom in FOSDEM, we'll have nice talks about Maliit, Qt5 UIs, Mer, Tizen, SyncEvolution, KDE Mobile, Qt Quick, QtOnPi and Nemo Mobile :)
11:28:31 <Stskeeps> oh, and OpenMoko Freerunner (GTA04)
11:29:09 <jukkaeklund> I am going!
11:29:12 <Sage> o/
11:29:18 <jukkaeklund> BTW, what is the Nemo topic specifically?
11:29:54 <Stskeeps> provided Sage shows up, how to contribute to the project and brief intro
11:29:58 <Stskeeps> it's small 15 min talks so
11:30:20 * dm8tbr waves
11:30:26 <jukkaeklund> would it make sense to have (app) developer oriented talk also?
11:30:40 <Stskeeps> i think we have that a bit with qt quick
11:30:54 <Stskeeps> there's still space, so any ideas for extra content welcome though, if someone wants to volunteer
11:30:55 <jukkaeklund> basically what veskuh has been blogging
11:35:47 <veskuh> I've also worked on rebasing of Helium on QtComponents. Runs quite fine on my HeliumReborn fork and I'll try merge to upstream soon.
11:35:54 <veskuh> #link http://veskuh.blogspot.com/2011/12/heliumreborn-for-nemo.html
11:36:17 <jukkaeklund> do I hear multi touch..
11:36:31 <veskuh> jukkaeklund: No solution for that yet. There I'd need help
11:36:38 <jukkaeklund> stskeeps, I'll write you a proposal for talk if that's ok
11:36:48 <Stskeeps> jukkaeklund: ok, ideally get me it before 7th, or at least a title
11:37:44 <jukkaeklund> sure
11:37:49 <jukkaeklund> can do :)
11:39:52 <jukkaeklund> on FOSDEM, let's have a F2F meeting at some time since many of us will be there?
11:40:13 <Stskeeps> :nod:
11:43:50 <jukkaeklund> another q: status of apps.formeego.org discovery app?
11:44:03 <jukkaeklund> help needed?
11:45:44 <Stskeeps> hmm, that was on lbt on that last time
11:46:22 <veskuh> Problem was that Harmattan has cool ui but uses wrong backend, and old meego one used meego-ux
11:46:44 <jukkaeklund> yep
11:46:45 <veskuh> so in real life almost new app needed
11:47:10 <jukkaeklund> UI looked nice
11:47:32 <lbt> veskuh is correct
11:48:13 <jukkaeklund> this also relates to http://wiki.qt-project.org/Software_Catalog
11:49:19 <jukkaeklund> reference app would be good
11:56:28 <Stskeeps> okay, think we can wrap up then
11:56:32 <Stskeeps> thank you all for coming
11:56:35 <Stskeeps> #endmeeting