12:05:13 <Stskeeps> #startmeeting Release management sync meeting 21/2/2012
12:05:13 <MerBot> Meeting started Tue Feb 21 12:05:13 2012 UTC.  The chair is Stskeeps. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
12:05:13 <MerBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
12:06:52 <Stskeeps> so, i think we're doing quite well on way to the next release
12:07:29 <Stskeeps> we have deloyed sb2-obs patches to community obs and we have seen no visibile regressions from the cross compilation switchover
12:07:46 <phaeron> hello
12:07:58 <phaeron> I have to leave in ~10 minutes
12:07:59 <Stskeeps> there will be a prerelease (or 0.0.4) soon
12:08:00 <Stskeeps> ok
12:08:01 <Stskeeps> http://mer.bfst.de/meetings/mer-meeting/2012/mer-meeting.2012-02-21-12.05.log.txt
12:08:42 <Stskeeps> there is still however some fallout in other non-mer targets with the patches and we're working on it
12:08:57 <Stskeeps> and showing bugs that wasn't visible before
12:09:46 <Stskeeps> any other statuses?
12:09:46 <Sage_> o/
12:10:04 <lbt> Mer c.obs is mainly deployed with new Mer-OBS, Mer MDS and a simple worker but some nasty issues remain - http/https redirect Abandonded this for now.
12:10:27 <lbt> SDK images built - enter-chroot approach seems fine. looking at lxc and VMs now Packaging done in a branch - https://build.pub.meego.com/project/monitor?project=home%3Albt%3Abranches%3AMer%3ATools%3ATesting local mic builds work - working on IMG to get them done in an easily downloadable area
12:10:44 <Stskeeps> :nod:
12:10:51 <lbt> I think I'll push that to Testing now
12:10:55 <Stskeeps> we should start modifying guides to be using platform SDK as well
12:10:59 <Stskeeps> like image creation and other things
12:10:59 <lbt> yes
12:11:12 <lbt> Plan was to do some bugfixes using SDK but .... OBS got in the way
12:11:19 <Stskeeps> yeah
12:11:28 <lbt> so I think that's what I'll do next
12:11:40 <lbt> use SDK to hit some small bugs and write up
12:11:42 <Stskeeps> i'm hoping for next release friday
12:11:47 <lbt> hmm
12:11:52 <Stskeeps> too early?
12:11:53 <Stskeeps> monday betteR?
12:12:08 <Stskeeps> next actual release that is, not prerelease
12:12:10 <lbt> I haven't done sb2 builds in SDK
12:12:26 <lbt> and we kinda wanted the SDK at the same time
12:12:44 <Stskeeps> yeah, true, but we need more infra for that
12:12:45 <lbt> but maybe leave the SDK as it's still alpha
12:12:47 * Sage_ would suggest pushing forward one week
12:12:49 <lbt> or release it as that
12:12:57 <Sage_> if you want to do more stuff
12:13:05 <Sage_> it is already so much late :/
12:13:15 <Stskeeps> i'd prefer to release it as that, ie, mic, osc, basics working
12:13:16 <lbt> how important is it to co-release SDK though
12:13:23 <lbt> yeah - me too
12:13:24 <Stskeeps> it doesn't have to be co-released
12:13:28 <lbt> early/often
12:13:31 <Stskeeps> but it would be good to have some kind of version
12:13:43 <lbt> I also haven't used it as a dirty build environment
12:13:49 <Sage_> Push SDK out with next release?
12:13:51 <lbt> just osc build inside sdk
12:14:01 <lbt> Sage_: yeah - announce it as alpha
12:14:08 <lbt> and say what we've tested
12:14:10 <Stskeeps> friday or monday?
12:14:14 <lbt> monday
12:14:21 <Stskeeps> i'd like it to be ready for next nemo release too
12:14:22 <Stskeeps> ok
12:14:38 <lbt> phaeron: IMG is looking good isn't it?
12:15:19 <lbt> he may have gone
12:15:21 <lbt> I think it is
12:15:31 <lbt> I am slightly blocked on infra atm
12:15:51 <lbt> we are a bit stretched
12:16:31 <Stskeeps> in terms of people or in resources
12:16:38 <lbt> vgrade will buy another EX5
12:16:41 <lbt> HW
12:16:49 <Stskeeps> k
12:16:51 <lbt> we have 20+VMs on 2 hosts
12:17:07 <lbt> so I've started the chat with H
12:17:19 <Stskeeps> etzner, let's not confuse the abbreviations
12:17:19 <Stskeeps> :P
12:17:24 <Sage_> :)
12:17:25 <lbt> just FYI for this update really
12:17:28 <lbt> sorry
12:17:43 <lbt> phone
12:17:50 <Stskeeps> so, i guess people's tasks are filled up for this week?
12:17:52 <phaeron> lbt: yes IMG is ready to create rootfs using new mic
12:17:53 <lbt> back
12:18:10 <phaeron> and working on it to use the sdk based kvm
12:18:14 <lbt> mdfe_: http://mer.bfst.de/meetings/mer-meeting/2012/mer-meeting.2012-02-21-12.05.log.txt
12:18:16 <phaeron> eta today or tomorrow
12:18:28 <Stskeeps> next week i'd like us to look saner at Mer's BOSS
12:18:39 <lbt> Stskeeps: yeah, depends on IMG too
12:18:40 <Stskeeps> and set up a more stable contribution and testing process
12:19:17 <Stskeeps> as well as automated releases
12:19:23 <Stskeeps> ideally ;)
12:19:28 <lbt> the BOSS bit is on my near-term list
12:19:32 <Stskeeps> http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Process
12:19:36 * phaeron thinks Stskeeps is optimistic
12:19:39 <phaeron> :D
12:19:47 <lbt> hey Stskeeps, aren't I supposed to do the next release?
12:19:56 <lbt> following your docs?
12:19:58 <lbt> *g*
12:20:44 <lbt> anyhow.... new subject
12:20:49 <lbt> https://bugs.merproject.org/show_bug.cgi?id=174
12:21:01 <lbt> use /usr/* and not /bin /lib
12:21:21 <lbt> told Sage_ to bring it up here
12:21:21 <Stskeeps> it's a large, invasive task
12:21:25 <lbt> is it?
12:21:27 <Stskeeps> yes, it is
12:21:30 <lbt> why?
12:21:33 <Stskeeps> there's packages installing into /lib
12:21:42 <lbt> assuming /bin -> /usr/bin is a symlink
12:21:45 <Stskeeps> mm
12:21:56 <Stskeeps> also, for no reason whatsoever, there's packages that install into both with same filename..
12:21:57 <lbt> it becomes an rpmlint warning issue
12:22:02 <lbt> Stskeeps: bug
12:22:22 <lbt> like I say in the bug
12:22:33 <lbt> we should adopt the policy, make rpmlint warn
12:22:34 <phaeron> lbt: imager succeeds now in :Testing
12:22:43 <lbt> clean up and then make it mandatory
12:22:54 <lbt> *if* we agree with it :)
12:22:55 <phaeron> and now gtg
12:23:03 <lbt> phaeron: thanks .. l8r
12:23:04 <Stskeeps> cya
12:23:20 <Stskeeps> lbt: so you want to rpmlint warn when something is installed into /lib /bin /sbin ?
12:23:38 <lbt> seems like a sane pre-req to the policy
12:23:44 <Sage_> http://pastie.org/3426665
12:23:47 <lbt> to allow us to phase it in
12:23:51 <Sage_> ^ all those package needs changes
12:24:03 <lbt> the point is that we're about to do some boss automation
12:24:07 <Stskeeps> Sage_: at least..
12:24:11 <lbt> and that's going to involve writing checks
12:24:13 <Sage_> Stskeeps: :nod:
12:24:34 <lbt> so if we agree policies like this early then we write a few checks, once
12:24:58 <Stskeeps> ok, i have no objections to this
12:25:19 <phaeron> one last thing before I go
12:25:24 <lbt> OK - that's good - the implementation must, of course, not cause isssues
12:25:25 <Sage_> I don't either but I think it is larger task than lbt thinks.
12:25:29 <Stskeeps> yeah
12:25:30 <lbt> Sage_: always is
12:25:34 <Sage_> lbt: :)
12:25:38 <phaeron> we needed updated mic which has Sage_'s patches already in
12:25:45 <lbt> Sage_: your rpm depend may be a pita
12:25:57 <Sage_> lbt: well that as well :/
12:26:17 <lbt> phaeron: OK - should they be merged to our git
12:26:29 <Sage_> lbt: those patches are in mic upstream
12:26:32 <lbt> Sage_: do you know what patches he means
12:26:34 <lbt> OK
12:26:52 <lbt> so if we pull latest we're good ?
12:27:04 <Sage_> lbt: latest master yes, latest release needs one patch
12:27:16 <Sage_> latest release is 0.6 and it needs this patch https://github.com/jfding/mic/commit/5abead0efc7b0f84c83c9445b565c794dbf54e8a
12:27:28 <lbt> OK
12:27:32 <Stskeeps> one small comment
12:27:44 <lbt> I have to go out after this meeting so may be doing it later anyhow
12:27:45 <Stskeeps> https://bugs.merproject.org/show_bug.cgi?id=179 was rated low priority
12:27:55 <Stskeeps> if something is released, not CI checking it is major
12:28:11 <Stskeeps> as it might regress and be a mess to figure out where it went wrong
12:28:22 <lbt> my fault - I wasn't sure of the status of MIPS yet
12:28:38 <Stskeeps> just for future reference, so it needs bumping to medium/high
12:28:41 <lbt> I actually thought it couldn't be released since we have no CI of it
12:28:50 <Stskeeps> it is actually on stable condition right now
12:28:51 <lbt> high
12:29:01 <Stskeeps> ok
12:29:26 <lbt> done
12:30:09 <lbt> I made a few things "low" (predicting the chat with andre__ actually)
12:31:44 <lbt> nb ... not sure if it's this meeting or Mer AB or something ... RasPi is going to be out soon
12:31:57 <lbt> we should have a vendor/port/project ready
12:32:13 <Stskeeps> it has to be tied together with qt5 work
12:32:35 <Stskeeps> as qt4.8.0 in default conf won't work with their gles stack
12:32:44 <lbt> OK - so it's one of my tasks as part of my RasPi role
12:32:57 <lbt> so keeping a Mer/RasPi page updated is important
12:33:10 <lbt> so that sounds like a Mer/Qt5 status
12:33:20 <Stskeeps> we should help ahma along
12:33:56 <Stskeeps> https://bugs.merproject.org/show_bug.cgi?id=181 maybe should be medium instead, i'll take this one on me
12:34:02 <Stskeeps> it should be easy to rpm query all the rpms
12:34:06 <lbt> OK - I'll ask him for Mer/Qt5 status then
12:34:18 <Stskeeps> qtonpi release image is coming out too
12:34:23 <lbt> Stskeeps: hmm
12:34:42 <lbt> I would hate to see a hodge-podge approach to data management in Mer
12:35:01 <lbt> so just noting that this is part of a bigger issue
12:35:13 <Stskeeps> :nod:
12:35:26 <lbt> and like the fakeobs quick hacks.... you get stuck with them
12:35:33 <lbt> (like arch iirc)
12:35:47 <lbt> that's the only reason it's low
12:36:01 <lbt> "do it right, even if we have to wait a couple of weeks"
12:36:01 <Stskeeps> :nod:
12:36:15 <Stskeeps> you're right, fakeobs improvements should be on my list before that
12:36:58 <lbt> I actually wanted to use MDS to deliver releases too  - as mentioned with sonach this AM
12:37:11 <lbt> is that feasible (not having seen the code for any of it)
12:38:32 <Stskeeps> that's feasible and where i wanted it to go
12:38:44 <lbt> good
12:39:01 <lbt> the other thing is some kind of filters - by arch/release
12:39:09 <lbt> I'm sure you have that too
12:40:25 <Stskeeps> :nod:
12:40:50 <Stskeeps> it's important we can do stable releases hence the BOSS focus next week
12:40:53 <Stskeeps> i do too much manual work for it
12:41:23 <lbt> I was only partly kidding about me doing the next one - we did agree that :)
12:41:51 <Stskeeps> yeah, i know
12:42:14 <Stskeeps> still, it's the manual work before a release
12:42:17 <Stskeeps> picking up changes, etc
12:42:52 <lbt> yeah - this is kinda where I'd have liked to get more BOSS webui stuff working
12:43:21 <lbt> but realistically that's not on the cards w/o a lot more human resource
12:43:36 <Stskeeps> :nod:
12:44:19 <lbt> so, I think that's all I have
12:44:34 <Stskeeps> so, next release on monday then
12:44:42 <Stskeeps> i think the release content itself is quite good already
12:44:47 <lbt> OK
12:44:51 <Stskeeps> #info next release on monday
12:44:54 <Sage_> when next prerelease will be then?
12:45:02 <Stskeeps> as soon as it finishes building
12:45:07 <lbt> could you put up a checklist kinda page
12:45:08 <Sage_> Wondering if the release after taht would be on thursday?
12:45:11 <lbt> real rough
12:45:29 <lbt> on what you need to do - don't overthink it - just add to it as you go along
12:45:43 <Sage_> Vendors really need more time between prerelease and release than day or two ;)
12:45:48 <Stskeeps> :nod:
12:46:23 <Sage_> IMO first prerelease should be out on Monday
12:46:25 <Stskeeps> Sage_: i'm not convinced we'll have more releases after that one, but yes, in case, it'd be thursday
12:46:27 <lbt> eg I'd like to see us make a decision on a date and then see a triage-like meeting to mark some bugs as release blockers
12:46:46 <Stskeeps> i'm not delaying this full release any further than to monday
12:46:50 <Stskeeps> it's already too late :)
12:46:57 <Sage_> :)
12:47:01 <lbt> np - I'm talking about futures
12:47:02 <Sage_> fair enough
12:47:31 <Stskeeps> http://pastie.org/3426770 is expected changes
12:47:57 <Stskeeps> so there will be a prerelease with that content as soon as i can
12:48:06 <Sage_> k
12:48:15 <lbt> ok
12:48:28 <lbt> that's the stuff we need to share better
12:48:41 <Stskeeps> yes, and ideally it would be BOSS showing this
12:48:53 <Stskeeps> and producing the prerelease too
12:49:00 <lbt> yup
12:49:36 <Stskeeps> #info next full release on monday
12:49:51 <Stskeeps> #info next prerelease with content http://pastie.org/3426770 ASAP (due to CVE bug in libpng)
12:51:03 <Stskeeps> on documentation side, i'd like it to be possible to read from start, platform sdk install, entering sdk, grabbing/making .ks, to image creation step in wiki
12:51:06 <Stskeeps> by monday
12:51:41 <lbt> that's not a problem
12:52:05 <lbt> mic works fine in the sdk (at least it self-hosts the sdk....)
12:52:32 <Stskeeps> next week we also start working with generating target sysroots for use with sb2 as well, i think
12:52:37 <Stskeeps> on platform sdk side
12:53:15 <Stskeeps> mic can do that
12:53:56 <Stskeeps> okay, anything else?
12:54:24 <lbt> Bug 188 - Document image production using SDK
12:54:52 <Stskeeps> :nod:
12:55:30 <Stskeeps> okay, thank you all for coming
12:55:34 <Stskeeps> #endmeeting