11:03:01 <Stskeeps> #startmeeting Release management 17/4/2012
11:03:01 <MerBot> Meeting started Tue Apr 17 11:03:01 2012 UTC.  The chair is Stskeeps. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
11:03:01 <MerBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
11:03:14 <lbt> hi
11:03:24 <Stskeeps> lo
11:03:28 <vgrade> \o
11:04:04 <Stskeeps> so we're +1 day over the time for a functioning prerelease, due to 'build' script errors on community OBS we have to deal with properly
11:04:05 <Sage> o/
11:04:13 <Stskeeps> lbt: got your paste with current release content
11:04:14 <Stskeeps> ?
11:05:13 <lbt> looking
11:05:58 <lbt> http://pastie.org/3796769
11:06:23 <Stskeeps> so a nice solid release, with a bunch of CVE and bugs fixed
11:07:26 <Stskeeps> release planning wise: the #active crowd might be interested in 4.8.1 as it carries bugfixes for calligra
11:07:29 <Stskeeps> qt, thati s
11:08:07 <Stskeeps> qt5 base is pretty much ready to merge at this point
11:09:27 <Stskeeps> in next release (as in, not the one we're preparing at the moment), i'd like to drop nss dependency in eglibc, and do a lot of the housekeeping tasks
11:09:42 <Stskeeps> drop packages into architectual domains (i'll do a post on that), etc
11:11:13 <Sage> sounds good
11:11:35 <Stskeeps> on the automatic testing side, we've rearchitected 'eat', so we can easier test enable images
11:11:36 <Sage> btw, can the xorg thing go in with this release alraedy?
11:11:50 <Stskeeps> content is locked from my pov for this release
11:11:54 <Sage> as well as python?
11:11:56 <Stskeeps> except for fixes to make release happen
11:12:01 <Sage> ok
11:12:04 <Sage> fair enough
11:14:00 <Stskeeps> in other news, SB2 documentation should come out today or tomorrow, with the new release
11:14:05 <Stskeeps> to see how the engine behind it works
11:14:51 <Stskeeps> lbt: can you summarize your OBS deployment activities?
11:15:05 <lbt> Spent a couple of weeks on OBS doing docs, minor patches and automated deployment/testing.
11:15:28 <lbt> All been pretty much local. Been pretty frustrating at times (eg wasting too much time setting up a caching proxy to make OBS installs on a VM fast enough to be useful).
11:15:41 <lbt> Still, I now have a release process for OBS and build which includes testing.
11:15:49 <Stskeeps> :nod: how do you plan on publishing those scripts, out of curiousity?
11:15:52 <lbt> so that's discrete fe/be
11:15:55 <Stskeeps> if they're useful outside your lan, that is
11:16:20 <lbt> I think they are
11:16:46 <lbt> I suspect a simple git repo for the scripts would be enough
11:16:57 <lbt> slaine was using them already
11:17:33 <Stskeeps> ok
11:17:42 <lbt> scp config setup-obs$vm:. ssh $vm setup-obs <role>
11:18:17 <Stskeeps> that'd be useful
11:18:23 <lbt> I'll probably add boss to the process too
11:18:34 <lbt> the script is designed to be documentation too
11:19:33 <Stskeeps> since you have automated OBS setup, would you perhaps take on task of playing with the copy project backend call and see how it's functioning?
11:19:38 <lbt> it should be good enough for production use
11:19:45 <Stskeeps> just some basic evaluation of it
11:19:55 <lbt> yes - I may need some pointers to the patch
11:20:13 <lbt> or I'll just grep the logs and ml
11:20:16 <Stskeeps> no patch, it's in mainline, but you have to talk to backend directly, instead of api
11:20:50 <lbt> I can release from various branches too so it should make testing easier
11:21:14 <lbt> and I'd like to replicate this VM network on meego.com or merproject.org
11:21:26 <Stskeeps> makes sense
11:21:53 <lbt> I also need to get some of the patches upstream
11:22:02 <lbt> their head is way in front
11:23:14 <lbt> also I'm not sure how we handle the sb2 changes
11:23:29 <Stskeeps> i'm working on a rebased version that conforms to upstream preferences
11:23:39 <lbt> I don't think we can 'support' old Mer/OBS releases easily
11:23:41 <Stskeeps> and we can't merge before the other approach also has merged
11:24:38 <Stskeeps> your automated VM scripts may help me in this matter
11:25:11 <lbt> we need to have some test builds too
11:25:24 <Stskeeps> :nod:
11:25:42 <lbt> can you copypac the ones yo did this am to https://build.pub.meego.com/project/show?project=Mer%3AOBS%3ATestBuilds
11:25:53 <lbt> and we can think about developing that
11:26:24 <Stskeeps> yes, makes sense
11:26:32 <lbt> further out this may also depend on MDS being able to deliver old releases
11:27:13 <lbt> I'm not doing it right now ... but I was going to add BOSS config to the VM deployment to report on all the build results
11:27:20 <Stskeeps> :nod:
11:27:52 <lbt> anyhow ... that's what's had me buried for the last weeks
11:28:09 <Stskeeps> sounds useful
11:28:25 <lbt> mmm ... feels like it should have taken less time
11:28:46 <Stskeeps> doing things right takes time
11:28:49 <lbt> OTOH I seem to have tripped over (and fixed) every bug going
11:28:55 <Stskeeps> and this will be useful in the future
11:29:58 <lbt> oh... including cobs worker death ... 99.9% fixed I think
11:30:27 <lbt> pubworker06 lost one
11:32:18 <Stskeeps> right, anybody has anything else?
11:32:29 <Stskeeps> i'll be absent 26-27 april, just FYI
11:32:38 <vgrade> I've been looking at tizen ivi, built the ref ux ontop of Mer/nemo, tested on Exo plan to run on Panda. Also started a spreadsheet of packages and versions to compare against Mer core with a view to GENIVI
11:32:43 <lbt> I think we need a meeting on packaging policy
11:33:03 <Stskeeps> vgrade: that sounds useful indeed
11:33:19 <lbt> vgrade: nice
11:33:46 <Stskeeps> i'm fairly sure there's one or more companies interested in having some derviation of mer core genivi certified
11:34:09 <vgrade> nod
11:34:19 <vgrade> if they can afford the stamp
11:35:00 <Stskeeps> yeah
11:35:38 <vgrade> good info to have in the spreadsheet for our legal side also, Re Aaron plan
11:35:54 <Stskeeps> that's true, it would be useful to compare to the OIN list
11:37:22 <vgrade> yes, i'll add another section
11:38:55 <Stskeeps> right, thank you all for coming
11:39:11 <lbt> sec
11:39:32 <lbt> One thing that's coming up is to review the CI/BOSS process
11:39:50 <lbt> I think that should start on the friday post-release as it could be disruptive
11:40:10 <lbt> I think the boss/ruote version installed is old
11:40:22 <Stskeeps> right, but we still need to write the process :)
11:40:46 <lbt> I just wanted to extend the current one to do image builds first
11:40:57 <lbt> and bring the infra up to date
11:41:26 <Stskeeps> just remember that our DBC are just localdep
11:41:30 <Stskeeps> you can't do full images on that
11:42:16 <lbt> right, I had forgotten that dependency
11:42:27 <lbt> hence copyproj
11:42:29 <Stskeeps> yes
11:42:41 <Stskeeps> i think we can plan a gerrit downtime, boss/ruote upgrade on friday
11:42:59 <Stskeeps> and have a meeting to plan the new process?
11:43:08 <lbt> OK by me
11:43:14 <Stskeeps> will you lead that one?
11:43:21 <lbt> sure
11:43:33 <lbt> and ... packaging policy meeting?
11:43:34 <Stskeeps> i have network work being done on thursday, so i hope i'll be online by friday again
11:43:42 <Stskeeps> ok
11:43:56 <Stskeeps> my priority is that we can lump as much as possible into rpmlint and boss checks
11:44:16 <lbt> I think we should plan a day or half-day when we make that a focus in #mer
11:44:22 <Stskeeps> :nod:
11:44:25 <lbt> rather than here
11:44:26 <Stskeeps> workshops, as such
11:44:30 <lbt> yes
11:44:43 <lbt> middle of next week?
11:45:01 <Stskeeps> i'm gone 26-27 april, but wednesday is usually ok for me
11:45:11 <lbt> OK - I'll put a note to ml for wed 25th
11:45:45 <lbt> maybe do the process thing in the pm too - since we'll be in that space mentally
11:45:59 <lbt> Sage: does that work for you too ?
11:48:05 <lbt> wait for ml responses then
11:48:11 <lbt> I'm done :)
11:48:19 <Stskeeps> alright, wrapping up
11:48:26 <Stskeeps> thank you all for coming
11:48:27 <Stskeeps> #endmeeting