#mer-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by Jaymzz at 08:00:35 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration – June 14th 2018 (Jaymzz, 08:00:45)
    2. meeting information and agenda can be found here: http://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2018-June/008412.html (Jaymzz, 08:00:56)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min) (Jaymzz, 08:01:17)
    1. Please prefix your name/handle with # info (Jaymzz, 08:01:50)
    2. Chris Adams, developer at Jolla (chriadam_, 08:01:58)
    3. James Noori - Sailor @ Jolla (Jaymzz, 08:02:01)
    4. Leszek Lesner, Community & Dev (leszek, 08:02:09)
    5. Lewis Rockliffe, community developer (r0kk3rz, 08:02:10)
    6. Matt Austin, Community/developer (mattaustin, 08:02:15)
    7. Martin Kolman, community & modRana development (M4rtinK, 08:02:24)
    8. jakibaki, community/developer (jakibaki, 08:02:28)
    9. David Llewellyn-Jones, community developer (flypig, 08:02:29)
    10. Louis, Sailfish fan (louisdk, 08:02:36)
    11. Simonas Leleiva @ Jolla (sledges, 08:02:43)
    12. Raine Mäkeläinen, developer @ Jolla (rainemak_, 08:03:27)
    13. Erik Lundin, community (luen, 08:03:28)
    14. Frajo Haider, developer @ Jolla (krnlyng, 08:04:23)
    15. Kaj-Michael Lang, Community dev (oniongarlic, 08:05:39)

  2. Update camera driver on Xperia X to fix white balance issues. (asked by louisdk – 5 min) (Jaymzz, 08:06:13)
    1. Current Sailfish X build is based on an old 8 mpx driver which do have serious white balance issues when using the back camera. As current Open device program adaption using kernel 3.10 utilizes a newer driver featuring 20 mpx support and have better white-balance I'll suggest a driver update to mitigate this issue. (Jaymzz, 08:06:17)
    2. David Greaves, Sailor and Mer guy (lbt, 08:07:53)
    3. Jonatan Walck, community (and late) (jwalck, 08:09:06)
    4. https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/supported-devices-and-functionality/current-platform-functionality-maintained/ (Jaymzz, 08:09:38)
    5. community is encouraged to take a look and develop on the F5121 adaptation which is available on Github if they want to try out the Android 7 and 4.4 kernel (Jaymzz, 08:15:00)
    6. it needs to be doublechecked if currently as we already support 20mpx driver since a while on Android 6 "In terms of better white balance. This can be worked around in the camera app. Making it automatically switch to tungsten WB when activating flash" (sledges, 08:15:55)

  3. Update alien dalvik on Jolla Tablet (asked by louisdk - 10 min) (Jaymzz, 08:17:03)
    1. Current alien dalvik implementation is based on Android 4.4 and should be able to run on Jolla Tablet. Are there any obstacles to this apart from code recompilation? (Jaymzz, 08:17:12)

  4. Some remarks on the gallery interface and design direction of SFOS (asked by ApBBB – 10min) (Jaymzz, 08:21:25)
    1. Newer interfaces (gallery camera) seems to move away from the usual SFOS design paradigm. (Jaymzz, 08:21:40)
    2. The new Gallery design is implemented after we received numerous requests over the past years. It is an overall improvement considering that it is easier to use than the previous one especially if you are new to Sailfish OS UX. It definitely follows our principles with gesture control and it works rather intuitively at that. If you would like to see more improvements and changes, let us know what you think we can improve up (Jaymzz, 08:22:23)
    3. adding 5 more minutes to this topic (Jaymzz, 08:34:09)
    4. regarding ambience selection you'll get a fix in next release (Jaymzz, 08:36:19)

  5. freedesktop standards vs lipstick (asked by tortoisedoc – 15 min) (Jaymzz, 08:37:01)
    1. currently freedesktop standards is partially adhered to by lipstick. Mainly user-defined conifiguration is not prioritized over system defaults, as requested by the spec in an obscure way here ; in particular "The base directory defined by $XDG_DATA_HOME is considered more important than any of the base directories defined by $XDG_DATA_DIRS. ") is currently not adhered to by lipstick, which searches both locations (system & (Jaymzz, 08:37:11)
    2. topic dismissed due to the author's request and unavailability. Will retain the topic on TJC for the next meeting and if the author is unavailable by then topic will be removed. (Jaymzz, 08:39:07)

  6. Has building on top of another distribution been considered as alternative to Mer? (asked by luen – 10 min) (Jaymzz, 08:42:03)
    1. Jolla developers spend a lot of time maintaining middleware packages in the Mer core distribution, but still many of them are very old (the packages, not the developers...). Has it ever been considered to instead piggyback on some more general distribution like Debian or Fedora, which each has thousands of developers who continuously work to keep packages up to date? Would it be feasible to create a niched distribution like (Jaymzz, 08:42:13)
    2. Mer core is open to community contributions and has a clear Maintainer setup. We do have architectural (and legal GPL3) issues wrt to upgrades which need to be factored in though (lbt, 08:45:40)
    3. Feel free to talk to a maintainer about upgrading a package and get some guidance on how to go about it (eg grab a copy of the latest Fedora src and tweak our packaging) (lbt, 08:45:57)
    4. In general we need to be lead by SFOS architectural needs (lbt, 08:46:13)
    5. See https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/Maintainers/blob/master/maintainers.yaml (lbt, 08:46:20)
    6. abranson has volunteered(!) to be the main contact to discuss upgrades with if you can't get a response from a Maintainer (lbt, 08:49:47)
    7. we do have fairly solid CI and QA internally - but not enough community contributions to persuade management to invest in rebuilding the Mer CI/QA. Catch 22 (lbt, 08:51:40)
    8. 5 more minutes added to this topic (Jaymzz, 08:55:07)

  7. Allowing usage of newer versions of PyOtherSide in Jolla Store/RPM validator (asked by M4tinK – 5 min) (Jaymzz, 09:00:16)
    1. https://github.com/sailfishos/sdk-harbour-rpmvalidator/pull/109 (Jaymzz, 09:00:39)
    2. pvuorela to be the master for python 3 and pyotherside. He will check everything later today. (Jaymzz, 09:06:44)
    3. M4rtinK to be an official developer for PyOtherside and Python3; working with pvuorela (lbt, 09:12:19)

  8. General discussion (15 min) (Jaymzz, 09:14:05)
  9. Next meeting time n date (5 min) (Jaymzz, 09:34:51)
    1. Next meeting will be held on Thursday, 28th of June 2018 at 08:00 UTC (Jaymzz, 09:35:57)
    2. for everyone reading the logs: please request more time for your topics than you anticipate. I have asked this before and it was cool for a while but now we are back at having over-time for every topic. Try to ask more than 5 minutes as reading the # info takes longer than that usually (Jaymzz, 09:37:24)

Meeting ended at 09:38:47 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)

People present (lines said)

  1. Jaymzz (90)
  2. lbt (54)
  3. ApBBB (39)
  4. M4rtinK (36)
  5. r0kk3rz (32)
  6. sledges (31)
  7. leszek (28)
  8. abranson (17)
  9. louisdk (10)
  10. luen (10)
  11. chriadam_ (9)
  12. nh1402[m] (8)
  13. flypig (8)
  14. rainemak (7)
  15. krnlyng (4)
  16. pvuorela (3)
  17. merbot (2)
  18. mattaustin (2)
  19. Pekkeli (2)
  20. HeinrichJolla (2)
  21. jwalck (1)
  22. Mr_Doge (1)
  23. phlixi_o (1)
  24. rainemak_ (1)
  25. yofuh (1)
  26. jakibaki (1)
  27. ljo (1)
  28. oniongarlic (1)
  29. m4g0g (1)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.