09:00:06 <Jaymzz> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration – 7th March 2019
09:00:06 <merbot> Meeting started Thu Mar  7 09:00:06 2019 UTC.  The chair is Jaymzz. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
09:00:06 <merbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
09:00:19 <Jaymzz> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2019-March/008563.html
09:00:28 <Jaymzz> I am the meeting’s chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please behave, respect the timings and be gentle.
09:00:39 <Jaymzz> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with # info
09:00:48 <Jaymzz> #info James Noori - sailor @ Jolla
09:00:50 <kimmoli> #info Kimmo Lindholm, gentle community member, porting and apps
09:01:22 <ljo> #info Leif-Jöran Olsson, community
09:01:28 <ViGe> #info Ville Nummela - sailor @ Jolla
09:01:33 <Karry> #info Lukas Karas - community, developer
09:03:47 <M4rtinK> #info Martin Kolman - community, modRana developer
09:03:52 <abranson> #info Andrew Branson - sailor
09:04:10 <sledges> #info Simonas Leleiva - privateer @ Jolla
09:05:09 <Jaymzz> Not many people today as we have basically 1 topic to talk about :) moving on
09:05:15 <Jaymzz> #topic Tracking assigned tasks / issues (15 min – asked by Nrde)
09:05:25 <Jaymzz> #info  For now there hasn't really been any follow ups or "tasks lists" on tasks issued on previous meetings. The same issues keep coming up and the "resolution" is almost always the same. Someone who is not present is going to be pinged and information is going to be given out sometime later. In practice the info is maybe given out when someone asks about it the next time. Or it just gets forgotten. Maybe there could be a list of o
09:05:25 <Jaymzz> pen issues from which tasks are crossed out once acceptable outcome has been reached. The list would be automatically assigned to the next meeting, except tasks that have a later "due date". Due date might be "next meeting", "end of may-19", "quarter 2/19".
09:05:57 <Jaymzz> So apparently Nrde is not available atm, but I have made an answer ready that can be accessed via logs later on
09:06:08 <Jaymzz> #info So far we have had a pretty good tracking of these tasks on a personal basis. Meaning that the person who took a task, completed it and heard back either at the next meeting or to the actual creator of the topic. However, it is a good idea to have such a list public for future references and for the community to keep track of the said tasks. Therefore we have created a public text editor for the community so that they can foll
09:06:08 <Jaymzz> ow the progress on different tasks assigned to different people. Here is the link http://meetingwords.com/sailfishos-community-irc
09:06:17 <Jaymzz> #link http://meetingwords.com/sailfishos-community-irc
09:06:25 <Jaymzz> #info this link is going to be placed on the planning page as well as the beginning script of every meeting for ease of following. The page will be updated by the owners of the tasks.
09:07:20 <Jaymzz> Does anyone have any comments? :)
09:07:55 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones, sailor @ jolla and late again
09:08:09 <flypig> Planning page looks good :)
09:08:55 <Jaymzz> great! I'll wait a couple more minutes in case there are more comments on how to make it better etc, then we'll move on to general discussion
09:09:19 <M4rtinK> cool!
09:09:45 <Jaymzz> I'll of course inform everyone through my regular emails about this as well so everyone else is on board.
09:10:20 <Jaymzz> Alright I guess we can move on then.
09:10:25 <flypig> Will it stay public-editable?
09:10:48 <Jaymzz> flypig: Yes, so in case a task is assigned to a community member, they can edit it too.
09:11:11 <Jaymzz> Of course trolls aren't welcome :D but I doubt we'll have such an issue there.
09:11:23 <Coolgeek> will there be any moderator on this ? because spam can occur on it
09:11:29 <M4rtinK> I guess it has snapshots, but I would still worry about spam potentially, unfortunatelly
09:11:44 <Jaymzz> Coolgeek: I'll be the moderator, and will take action accordingly.
09:12:22 <flypig> The risk will become clearer over time.
09:12:29 <Jaymzz> I definitely thought about spams too, and if that happens, we'll have to move to a solution where only a few people can edit the text. Let's see how it goes over time.
09:13:29 <M4rtinK> yeah, let's see how it works in practice
09:13:53 <Jaymzz> #info regarding spams: in case of uncontrollable spammers on that page, we will move to another solution where the public won't have access to editing. Will report back on this.
09:14:12 <M4rtinK> we can still move to something like a text file on github with PR editing if there are huge spam problems
09:14:20 <Jaymzz> exactly
09:14:57 <flypig> Now there just need to be some new tasks on it.
09:15:02 <Jaymzz> Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled on that page.
09:15:06 <M4rtinK> etherpad is definitely more accessible to non-technical users
09:15:24 <Jaymzz> flypig: I think that will happen from next meeting :P
09:15:51 <Jaymzz> M4rtinK: Thought about that too, but this one looked prettier :D lol
09:16:43 <Jaymzz> alright moving on from this topic, let's get back to it again during next meetings if needed.
09:16:48 <Jaymzz> #topic general discussion (15 min)
09:16:58 <Jaymzz> Discuss away, people!
09:17:58 <abranson> Jaymzz: might be good to add that task tracker url to the normal room topic
09:18:13 <pasik> #info Pasi Karkkainen, community
09:18:22 <pasik> any news about sfos 3.0.2 timeline that you can share? :)
09:18:24 <Jaymzz> abranson: great idea, will do that
09:18:29 <M4rtinK> a friend with an XA2 is reporting serious memory leaks due to android apps - anyone else seeing that ?
09:19:05 <Jaymzz> pasik: It is being tested, it isn't far away at all, but can't share any dates unfortunately.
09:19:14 <pasik> Jaymzz: ok, thanks
09:19:25 <M4rtinK> IIRC Android apps with background services are the main cause apparently
09:21:30 <Karry> What is the state of Mer core => SFOS core migration? When it will be possible to register on gitlab and create merge requests to core components?
09:21:43 <Jaymzz> Big silence on M4rtinK's topic :D I personally don't have an answer, but how about other sailors?
09:22:01 <ljo> M4rtinK: Yes, they are all running independent of config setting to start or not.
09:22:06 <Jaymzz> lbt: are you there? you may be able to answer Karry's question
09:22:32 <sledges> lbt is on holiday, back 11th March
09:22:44 <flypig> How do the memory leaks manifest themselves?
09:22:53 <M4rtinK> ljo: IIRC, that setting might be actually broken everywhere, not just on XA2
09:23:18 <Karry> ok, I will ask lbt next meeting :-)
09:23:21 <Jaymzz> Karry: Could you ask this at the next meeting? Feel free to make it a topic on the planning page.
09:23:45 <M4rtinK> still, it shoukd not leak even with many apps running
09:24:14 <Coolgeek> is there any news of making free software closed source part ?
09:24:46 <M4rtinK> flypig: I will have to ask in more detail, but I would assume it will likely trigger OOM killer to start killing stuff due to memory exhaustion
09:25:11 <M4rtinK> Coolgeek: +1
09:25:44 <pvuorela> for those caring about office file formats, could use this chance to advertise work on calligra integration. about to spend some time myself there, but it's a big area and fully open source :)
09:25:53 <Jaymzz> Coolgeek: I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but I'm sure the answer is no as we don't have any news in those areas right now.
09:26:08 <Coolgeek> sorry, my english is broken :(
09:26:22 <M4rtinK> there have been some positive hints after FOSSDEM in regards to open sourcing, would be good to see that to start materializing
09:26:26 <flypig> M4rtinK, I've not experienced that myself, so it would be interesting to have more detail.
09:26:28 <Jaymzz> No need to apologize :)
09:26:48 <Coolgeek> :)
09:27:27 <M4rtinK> flypig: OK, will talk to him ti find out more, possibly adding topic for next meeting
09:27:45 <Coolgeek> another topic : is there any plan to support NFC in alien dalvik on xperia x ?
09:27:58 <M4rtinK> pvuorela: nice & thanks
09:28:19 <Jaymzz> do we have krnlyng here? :) maybe you can take Coolgeek's question
09:28:33 <ljo> M4rtinK: Well, I see it too so it still happens eventhough it should not with many apps. Not sure it oom settings are different, but seems to be very sensitive.
09:29:03 <M4rtinK> pvuorela: the community involvement on the oss documents component is a good example of the benefits of open source fore core SFOS components
09:29:57 <sledges> #info < pvuorela> for those caring about office file formats, could use this chance to advertise work on calligra integration. about to spend some time myself there, but it's a big area and fully open source :)
09:30:55 <Jaymzz> Time is soon up guys, any wrap ups?
09:31:04 <ljo> sledges: +1
09:31:25 <pvuorela> M4rtinK: indeed!
09:31:53 <Jaymzz> Coolgeek: I got news that it is not likely for NFC support to happen for the Xperia X, but it's not 100% yet.
09:32:00 <pvuorela> dcaliste has done lot for pdf support in sailfish-office and now some time ago upgraded the calligra version.
09:32:00 <sledges> #info just a reminder if you want to get involved with calDav/cardDav/PIM, to join the community contributions meeting every Tuesday 08:00 UTC in #sailfishos
09:32:03 <sledges> Karry: ^
09:32:20 <Coolgeek> ok. thx Jaymzz
09:32:45 <M4rtinK> pvuorela: but I still think nit enogh is open to reach a real critical mass to enable much more community involvement & contributions
09:33:13 <Jaymzz> M4rtinK: Got news that a big memory leak has been fixed and will be set for 3.0.2,  it could be the one you are reporting here.
09:33:51 <M4rtinK> unfortunately stilk much too often potential contributors hit roadblocks in the form of closed components
09:34:09 <abranson> M4rtinK: there's a lot more open than people realize though. the camera stack is a lot more accessible now it has a community UI, for example.
09:34:32 <M4rtinK> Jaymzz: thanks! will pass that to my friend & can verify if it helps once 3.0.2 is out :)
09:35:14 <Jaymzz> M4rtinK: Yes, please stress on that it "might" help since I can't verify if what you're reporting is the same memory leak. Hopefully it is.
09:35:37 <Jaymzz> any more questions? we are a bit over time
09:35:38 <M4rtinK> abranson: agreed,stilk woukd be good if one can contribute even to the default apps that most people use
09:36:15 <pvuorela> agree that we could be a lot better, but in sailfish-office it's mostly silica that's not open.
09:36:47 <abranson> M4rtinK: sure, but often those apps are just frontends on an extensive, open, middleware stack. putting a new one on top opens all that up just the same, and can be fairly lightweight
09:36:58 <M4rtinK> abranson: alternative  community camera app is fine but complete replacement of the messaging UI might be lot kess doable
09:37:27 <M4rtinK> *less
09:37:54 <abranson> M4rtinK: might be good to look at that to be more sure about the amount of work involved
09:38:22 <M4rtinK> yeah
09:38:24 <Jaymzz> M4rtinK: Btw, what did you refer to when you said "there have been some positive hints after FOSSDEM in regards to open sourcing" ?
09:39:13 <M4rtinK> also I remeber some trying to work on VOIP onky to hit some closed parts, but that was a while ago already
09:40:34 <M4rtinK> Jaymzz: from reading the FOSDEM meeting logs it seemed like stuff is starting to move on the open sourcing front, related also to the mer+sailfish merge
09:40:55 <Jaymzz> Okay, understood :)
09:41:04 <Jaymzz> Alright this is way over time guys, need to move on
09:41:08 <M4rtinK> I *think* to remeber even oss Silica being mentioned there
09:41:13 <M4rtinK> sure :)
09:41:19 <Jaymzz> #topic next meeting time and date
09:41:34 <Jaymzz> #info Next meeting will be held on March 21st 2019 at 09:00 UTC
09:41:44 <Jaymzz> I guess everyone is fine with that
09:42:21 <Jaymzz> So in that case I thank you all for contributing today, even though it was a short meeting :)
09:42:32 <Jaymzz> See you in 2 weeks!
09:42:42 <Jaymzz> ending the meeting.
09:42:47 <Jaymzz> #endmeeting