08:01:41 <Jaymzz> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration – 8th August 2019
08:01:41 <merbot> Meeting started Thu Aug  8 08:01:41 2019 UTC.  The chair is Jaymzz. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
08:01:41 <merbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:01:56 <Jaymzz> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2019-August/008827.html
08:02:07 <Jaymzz> I am the meeting’s chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please behave, respect the timings and be gentle.
08:02:16 <Jaymzz> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with # info
08:02:23 <Jaymzz> #info James Noori - sailor @ Jolla
08:03:26 <abranson> #info Andrew Branson - sailor
08:03:38 <vknecht> #info Vincent Knecht - community
08:03:56 <Jaymzz> Wonder if the holiday season is over yet :P no topics for today and I assume not many attendees either
08:04:42 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Makela - community
08:06:10 <Jaymzz> I am right to assume that this is a record low number of people here? XD
08:07:29 <Jaymzz> vknecht: ExTechOp: Do you guys have anything to discuss for today? if not, I think there's no point continuing the meeting, instead we can have it again in 2 weeks time when people are back from their vacations :)
08:08:13 <vknecht> nothing in particular, was thinking general discussion could be interesting :-)
08:09:07 <phlixi_o> usually there is an email along the lines of "no, topics, meeting postponed to next week". Or maybe this just means SFOS is final, everything is done and complete. nothing more to do :D
08:09:55 <vknecht> can say that there's some progress on aosp8-based community port for loire, suzu and kugo work tho still no BT/USB connectivity, and high battery usage
08:10:01 <Jaymzz> phlixi_o yeah but since the last meeting was held a month ago, I thought there will be some general discussion happening today anyway, but not many people showed up.
08:10:28 <Jaymzz> #topic general discussion
08:10:29 <vknecht> but it's too technical for these meetings I was told :-)
08:10:30 <ExTechOp> Not a lot. Ceterum Censeo, I could mention Hangouts support: https://together.jolla.com/question/210066/is-anyone-working-on-proper-hangouts-support/
08:10:49 <Jaymzz> #info vknecht can say that there's some progress on aosp8-based community port for loire, suzu and kugo work tho still no BT/USB connectivity, and high battery usage
08:11:36 <Jaymzz> vknecht: It is, especially now with so few people XD
08:12:56 <Jaymzz> ExTechOp: That also would need more people to discuss as I understood. The link is basically a request to build support for hangouts right?
08:14:39 <ExTechOp> Yes, comments include a pointer to an implementation that worked with earlier OS versions.
08:15:36 <Jaymzz> Yeah noticed that. Hopefully "Hangish" gets updated. Has anyone made any attempts to contact the developer?
08:16:06 <ExTechOp> I tried, no response in a week.
08:16:42 <Jaymzz> Ah, it's summer time. Everything slows down as people tend not to be stuck at their desks. Give it a bit more time and send a friendly reminder if there still were no responses
08:17:16 <abranson> I was talking to that guy occasionally. He gave up development on that, and I think he even gave up sfos development entirely
08:17:38 <Jaymzz> oh no :( okay then case closed on Hangish
08:17:54 <abranson> it was getting harder to maintain though I think. google really started tightening things and it broke every other week towards the end
08:18:03 <abranson> that's the trouble with reverse engineered stuff...
08:18:16 <Jaymzz> true.
08:18:51 <Jaymzz> And based on that, I think it'd be super hard to have another client in the future.
08:20:31 <Jaymzz> Anything else to bring up?
08:20:32 <ExTechOp> It seems the war (Hangouts vs. other closed-source stuff) has since quieted down, on desktop Linux I run a slightly kludgy Hangouts client under Pidgin (and it hasn't been updated for >year now, and still works)
08:20:51 <ExTechOp> But yes, I can see why no volunteers to maintain software like that
08:21:15 <Jaymzz> Exactly.
08:21:19 <vknecht> maybe some news about 3.1 target on OBS ? :-)
08:21:45 <Jaymzz> abranson: got anything for vknecht? :)
08:23:14 <abranson> I don't know about that, what's the problem?
08:23:48 <vknecht> iiuc common doesn't build yet, so it's not available
08:24:42 <Jaymzz> I personally an not involved, but I assume it'll hit OBS sooner than later as the update is released to the public.
08:24:47 <Jaymzz> am*
08:25:22 <vknecht> ok, guess we'll have the psa in porters channel when it's ok :-)
08:25:35 <Jaymzz> yes for sure you will
08:25:49 <abranson> vknecht: which project is it?
08:26:53 <vknecht> don't know the details, but I guess https://build.merproject.org/project/show/nemo:testing:hw:common
08:29:09 <abranson> well that's all disabled. i'll try to find out what's going on with that.
08:30:30 <vknecht> thanks
08:30:40 <ExTechOp> Another thing I could ask about is SIP/voip native integration, which has been sitting around for quite many years and was at one point on the roadmap https://together.jolla.com/question/415/sip-voip-native-integration/
08:31:56 <Jaymzz> That one is pretty unfortunate, as there always are stuff that are at a higher priority for us and our customers. But we have said that we will make it happen when the time comes. The unfortunate part is that I have no ETA
08:32:32 <kimmoli> abranson: all on testing:hw:common needs to be disabled
08:33:15 <kimmoli> when a new target is added, that is enabled until it is all ok, then disabled. this is to keep old version repos there
08:33:16 <abranson> ExTechOp: I think the last time that came up, there was an invitation for anyone in the community who wanted to work on that to get access to the sources they need. It's pretty far along, but isn't a trivial task.
08:33:38 <abranson> kimmoli: so is there a problem with it?
08:33:54 <abranson> because the 3.1.0 target seems to be present
08:34:17 <kimmoli> no one has added it to testing:hw:common  thenb
08:34:43 <ExTechOp> abranson I don't think that information ended up on the together.jolla.com thread, could it be added there?
08:35:41 <abranson> ExTechOp: i'm guessing, I don't know for sure
08:36:00 <kimmoli> hmh. according to meta, is there and it is enabled https://build.merproject.org/project/meta/nemo:testing:hw:common
08:36:19 <vilpan> hi, I hope this fits into the meeting format being collaboration. What's the process to propose a new national keyboard layout for inclusion? As the source repo doesn't seem publicly accessible, I've proposed it on the devel list (https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2019-May/008603.html), but that hasn't gotten any attention yet. A 4.5 year old request on TJC is also linked from the ML post.
08:36:19 <vilpan> Anything else I should do?
08:37:14 <abranson> kimmoli: maybe it's just not been re-enabled to build since that was added
08:37:30 <abranson> tbh I should pin down whoever does that and ask them where it's up to
08:38:52 <chriadam> vilpan: talk to pvuorela and sledges -- but pvuorela is on vacation currently
08:39:43 <kimmoli> mal: testing:hw:common has enabled, but it hasn't been never built?
08:39:50 <vilpan> chriadam: ok, thanks. I presume by "talk" you mean just ping them on IRC? :)
08:40:23 <Jaymzz> Yes ^^
08:42:05 <chriadam> yes
08:43:53 <Jaymzz> Anything else to bring up?
08:45:08 <vknecht> no :-)
08:45:26 <chriadam> regarding SIP, I think there are some architectural concerns around telepathy which we need to resolve one way or the other.
08:45:52 <chriadam> related also to VoLTE support etc IIRC.
08:46:45 <Jaymzz> #info chriadam regarding SIP (and VoLTE), I think there are some architectural concerns around telepathy which we need to resolve one way or the other.
08:47:37 <Jaymzz> Alright moving on guys, it'd going over time :)
08:47:48 <Jaymzz> #topic next meeting time and date (5 min)
08:47:58 <Jaymzz> #info Next meeting will be held on August 22nd 2019 at 08:00 UTC
08:48:27 <chriadam> +1
08:48:39 <abranson> +1
08:48:42 <chriadam> good to have regular meetings even if no predetermined topics are raised, IMO
08:48:48 <Jaymzz> We held a great meeting even though we were so few this time. So thanks to everyone who attended. I'll send out the minutes, and please announce your topics on the planning page :)
08:48:54 <Jaymzz> chriadam: Definitely :)
08:49:00 <abranson> chriadam: very much so
08:49:10 <vknecht> +1
08:49:15 <ExTechOp> +1
08:49:32 <Jaymzz> Alright, cheers everyone. See you in 2 weeks right here.
08:49:38 <Jaymzz> #endmeeting