08:00:03 <sledges> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration – 2nd October 2019
08:00:03 <merbot> Meeting started Thu Oct  3 08:00:03 2019 UTC.  The chair is sledges. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
08:00:03 <merbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:00:43 <sledges> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2019-October/008878.html
08:00:48 <sledges> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please behave, respect the timings and beehive.
08:00:55 <sledges> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with # info
08:01:03 <sledges> #info Simonas Leleiva – privateer for Jolla
08:01:09 <ced117> #info Cedric Heintz, community member
08:01:16 <ViGe> #info Ville Nummela - Sailor@Jolla
08:01:18 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä, community member
08:01:24 <ljo> #info Leif-Jöran Olsson, community  bee
08:02:03 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones - sailor@jolla
08:02:03 <abranson> #info abranson - privateer @ Jolla
08:03:40 <dcaliste> #info Damien Caliste, community
08:04:24 <IZh> #info Igor Zhbanov, OMP
08:05:08 <Mister_Magister> #info Mister_Magister, community
08:05:38 <sledges> #topic SF Porting on Kingsun EF33 (feature phone)  (10 min - asked by minos)
08:06:08 <Mister_Magister> device is not even ulockable there is nothing to talk about
08:06:10 <sledges> is minos around? doesn't look like
08:06:10 <sledges> #info < minos> The hardware is now available, found on china by Jolla-devices blog, thanks to Khang, local contact. Could it be possible to release a beta version of SF, for that device? Even in a unofficial way? It was shown at MWC 2018, as working prototype... A first porting request was made on Twitter with bad results; it seemed clear that a porting, without aid from Jolla is not possible.
08:06:30 <sledges> #info < jolla> This was just a demonstration case, we aren't working on this so there isn't anything we can share at the moment
08:07:01 <Mister_Magister> we can switch to next topic now
08:07:07 <lbt> #info David Greaved - sailor and Mer guy
08:08:22 <ExTechOp> (should that be Merman?)
08:08:30 <Mister_Magister> sledges: device is not unlockable so even if there was something from jolla side you cannot install it or do anything with that phone
08:08:42 <Mister_Magister> you can info it or something, there is nothing to talk about on this topic
08:09:07 <sledges> giving another 2 mins
08:09:32 <Mister_Magister> at least two people tried to explain him that on twitter but he just won't listen
08:10:08 <sledges> #topic having an exchange on disallowed libraries in harbour and how to improve the failing cases (30 min - asked by dcaliste)
08:10:17 <sledges> #info < dcaliste> see this TJC wiki [1] and the IRC log [2] from 19th September meeting. The idea is to find out why an API is not allowed from Harbour point of view and define tasks for the community to fix the deficiencies. It would be nice if some Jolla members working on SDK can find blockers for libraries mentioned in the TJC wiki.
08:10:23 <sledges> #link https://together.jolla.com/question/213847/status-of-allowed-libraries-in-harbour/
08:10:26 <sledges> #link http://merproject.org/logs/%23mer-meeting/%23mer-meeting.2019-09-19.log.html
08:11:01 <sledges> #info < jolla> For the top 3 (QtLocation, TransferEngine and QtBluetooth) I don't think it makes sense for us to ask for community to help at the moment. Both QtLocation and QtBluetooth are really feasible only after the Qt upgrade. The TransferEngine is a larger topic, and our plans for that are not yet in such shape that we could ask for community contributions.
08:11:15 <sledges> #info < jolla> For MPRIS API, I assume this means org.nemomobile.mpris. The biggest obstacle standing between us and allowing it in harbour is the lack of documentation. Is this something that someone in the community would be willing to work on?
08:11:40 <sledges> #info < jolla> One of the issues raised in the TJC discussion about Mpris is that it's a bit flaky when there are multiple clients using it. If anyone in the community wants to look at this too, that also wouldn't hurt in terms of getting it into harbour.
08:11:52 <sledges> #info < jolla> QtMpris is here for reference:
08:11:59 <sledges> #link https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/qtmpris
08:12:09 <Mister_Magister> creating documentation shouldn't be too hard i think
08:12:46 <piggz[m]> #info piggz porter and stuff
08:13:02 <flypig> Time and effort for someone willing to look at the code. There's already an example there.
08:13:36 <dcaliste> sledges, thank you for taking this initiative into account and come back with sensible propositions for improvements.
08:14:06 <dcaliste> I'm going to modify the TJC wiki for this entry with the proposed actions for improvements.
08:14:11 <binutzu> #info binutzu community
08:14:55 <sledges> dcaliste: anything else on this dcaliste?
08:15:14 <piggz[m]> the nemo permision/policy apis too arent allowed, which would be useful in harbour-advanced-camera ..... tho we have neat workarounds!
08:15:32 <piggz[m]> involving dlysm :D
08:15:46 <Herrie> #info Herrie LuneOS Developer, using Mer components & upstreaming changes
08:17:46 <sledges> piggz[m]: add them to TJC?.. :)
08:17:54 <abranson> piggz[m]: maybe add that to the tjc page mentinoed above if it's not there already
08:18:02 <abranson> lol
08:18:07 <dcaliste> sledges, nothing in particular. I'm just an "organizer" here, trying to find ways for more involment from the community and positive answer from Jolla. I'm already quite happy with the result for MPRIS.
08:18:38 <piggz[m]> sledges/abranson k
08:19:00 <dcaliste> Now, the initiative is in the community hands, propose MR in the open source parts. Even coding skills are not necessary required ;)
08:19:23 <abranson> that one, mpris and the sailfish.media request all relate to the same thing - using the extra buttons like media and camera shutter.
08:19:49 <sledges> dcaliste: essentially a MR to its README.md?
08:20:45 <sledges> \o/ thanks lbt, now ApBBB (and others) can speak to channel without registering
08:20:57 <sledges> ironicly/coincidentally ApBBB isn't here:)
08:21:33 <piggz[m]> i had to password-reset to talk ;)
08:22:28 <flypig> ViGe, any advice on documentation creation for Mpris?
08:22:45 <dcaliste> sledges: indeed, I'm going to develop what the help can take shape of in the TJC entry.
08:22:56 <ViGe> flypig: I believe you are the expert here :)
08:23:01 <sledges> #info TJC to be updated, mpris documentation welcome to README.md https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/qtmpris
08:23:33 <flypig> ha ha. I was just following your advice!
08:24:28 <flypig> What's the situation with DConf. That looks like an easy win.
08:27:16 <ViGe> flypig: I don't know what's the situation with dconf. I guess we have to ask around.
08:28:53 <flypig> ViGe, I probably should have done *before* the meeting. My bad :(
08:28:53 <sledges> ok, dconf could go to TJC/next-meeting, anything else?
08:29:24 * sledges should stop reading others' minds
08:31:45 <sledges> moving on
08:31:50 <sledges> #topic Features that are more or less complete but lack UI to make them usable to all users (5 min - asked by ApBBB)
08:32:04 <sledges> #info < ApBBB> Things like USB tethering or BT tethering are more or less there (can be used with a bit of work or extra apps) but not available out of the box for all users. I am sure there are other features that are at this level (almost ready) and i'd like to ask what is the status and if/when those things are going to be ready out of the box for everyone.
08:32:24 <sledges> #info < ApBBB> PS. If anyone has features in mind that are at this state please add them here:
08:32:34 <sledges> #info Adjusting alarm clock's snooze interval. There is a patch for that: https://openrepos.net/content/slava/clock-settings (made by a Jolla employee @slava )
08:32:42 <dcaliste> DConf was already added to TJC, but we can move it to next meeting, sure.
08:32:45 <sledges> #info ^ We will not need it anymore. Look at strings to translate for SailfishOS 3.2.x.x, there is string "Snooze duration". So we can expect this feature in next OS release.
08:33:07 <sledges> additional features, relaying from ApBBB:
08:34:00 <sledges> #info < ApBBB> creating/deleting security certificates
08:34:21 <sledges> #info < ApBBB> email pgp stuff
08:34:25 <sledges> #info < jolla> Yes, "Snooze duration" is set for the upcoming 3.2.0
08:34:49 <sledges> #info < jolla> USB tethering is basically a skunkworks feature that has not been polished / reviewed in detail. It has known bugs, some architectural issues, and it does not work in all devices. It might also have issues like causing unexpected costs due to not taking mobile data settings etc into account -> It is not ready to be available for everybody out-of-box.
08:35:03 <ExTechOp> A somewhat similar issue is the way to use memory cards: I have been unable to find instructions on what "the right way" to access them is https://together.jolla.com/question/211549/sfos3-instructions-for-sd-cards-from-android/
08:35:41 <sledges> #info < jolla> stylistically, it also clutters up the USB mode selection dialogue, which would need redesign if more modes added
08:37:30 <ljo> 👍
08:38:45 <chriadam> for email pgp stuff, Jaymzz has promised to write a blog post describing how to do that in detail, and to highlight how much work dcaliste did getting that feature integrated
08:38:50 <sledges> ljo: you reminded about the presage rewrite project like this :D (will touch during general discussion)
08:39:55 <ljo> sledges: thx, yes, I am highly aware :)
08:40:38 <sledges> ExTechOp: coderus' android control is said to have a way (a solution to use as interim)
08:41:51 <sledges> #info a jolla blogpost about highlighting community's email pgp work is due
08:42:49 <ExTechOp> sledges Aliandalvik Control, I assume? https://openrepos.net/content/coderus/aliendalvik-control
08:43:12 <sledges> ExTechOp: correct
08:43:52 <ExTechOp> sledges Thanks, will take a look at it
08:43:53 <sledges> no comment on certificates handling as the feature was added just now
08:44:04 <flypig> That article sounds good. Personally looking forward to it.
08:44:11 <sledges> time to move on (we're already using time saved by previous topic:)
08:44:21 <sledges> #topic General discussion (10min)
08:45:03 <sledges> ljo: happy to hear you haven't forgotten about presage text engine rewrite project:)
08:45:41 <Mister_Magister> sledges: have you seen Jaymzz?
08:46:18 <Mister_Magister> is he on vacation or smth
08:46:41 <sledges> he asked me to substitute him this morning, otherwise he is around when possible
08:46:55 <Mister_Magister> hmm can't catch him :/
08:47:56 <sledges> he is sometimes hard to catch
08:48:00 <Mister_Magister> sledges: when will you come back to helping on sfos-porters :P
08:48:15 <ljo> sledges: Not at all, I employed a student to do some initial work on presage rewrite this summer, so now it is time for me to dig in with the gritty details.
08:48:16 <piggz[m]> general/question... did ssl change on build.merproject.org yesterday? webcat is broken for it
08:48:41 <sledges> Mister_Magister: sorry -ETOOMUCHWORK
08:49:01 <sledges> piggz[m]: tried build.sailfishos.org? :)
08:49:32 <piggz[m]> sledges: -ESTUCKINOLDWAYS
08:49:43 <sledges> -ETIMETOMOVEON
08:49:52 <binutzu> What are the odds that Jolla fix the audio routing in android for xa2 family so that voice calls work on messenger apps?
08:50:00 <Mister_Magister> sledges: yeah like whole jolla
08:50:12 <piggz[m]> sledges: oh, it works :)
08:51:09 <Mister_Magister> sledges: funfact i sent cv to jolla :P you are hard to catch too :P
08:51:54 <sledges> not dealing with that
08:52:10 <lbt> piggz[m]: the ssl package will have a log associated with it
08:52:48 <piggz[m]> lbt: sailfishos.lorg is working, so that will do :)
08:53:03 <lbt> oh - you mean the https
08:53:07 <lbt> not the ssl package?
08:53:09 <lbt> :D :D
08:53:13 <sledges> binutzu: we are tracking the TJC as you can see and the work is moving along (no ETA) https://together.jolla.com/question/204004/phonecall-function-in-android-apps-like-whatsapptelegram/
08:53:17 <piggz[m]> yes, https
08:53:39 <Mister_Magister> our obs has a bit little workers ;-;
08:54:40 <binutzu> sledges: ah, thanks! i missed that one
08:54:44 <sledges> ljo: awesome to hear!
08:54:46 <piggz[m]> for info, after spending 8 hours + bisecting mesa, finding the offnding commit and being told it could be the compiler, i am looking forward to a compiler upgrade :)
08:55:08 <sledges> piggz[m]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0
08:55:30 <sledges> lunchtime in Finland is dangerously approaching, any burning issues only :) ?
08:55:36 <sledges> (such as steak)
08:56:04 <sledges> piggz[m]: thanks for the hard work `,:)
08:56:11 <Mister_Magister> piggz[m]: yeah i can't do anything without gcc upgrade
08:56:28 <sledges> #topic Next meeting time & date (5min)
08:56:33 <sledges> keeping it fortnightly, 17th October 2019 at 08:00 UTC
08:56:35 <piggz[m]> sledges: am gonna try rinigus gcc
08:56:36 <sledges> yay or nay?
08:56:37 <Mister_Magister> +!
08:56:54 <Mister_Magister> piggz[m]: that has some problems
08:57:17 <ExTechOp> sledges works for me
08:57:48 <ljo> +1
08:57:52 <sledges> alrighty, thanks muchly!
08:57:52 <sledges> #info Next meeting will be held on 17th October 2019 at 08:00 UTC
08:57:57 <sledges> #endmeeting