09:00:22 <Jaymzz> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration – 23rd of January 2020
09:00:22 <merbot`> Meeting started Thu Jan 23 09:00:22 2020 UTC.  The chair is Jaymzz. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
09:00:22 <merbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
09:00:45 <Jaymzz> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2020-January/009053.html
09:00:54 <Jaymzz> I am the meeting’s chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please behave, respect the timings and be gentle.
09:01:08 <Jaymzz> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with # info
09:01:18 <Jaymzz> #info James Noori - sailor @ Jolla
09:01:35 <orangecat> #info orangecat - community
09:02:46 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä - community
09:03:15 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones - sailor @ jolla
09:07:14 <Jaymzz> Not that many today :)
09:07:37 <Jaymzz> #topic 100 paper cuts in SFOS 3  (20 min – asked by orangecat)
09:07:49 <Jaymzz> #info In the community, we gathered around 100 paper cuts and small usability bugs that can greatly enhance the user experience of SFOS. Is Jolla planning to fix these bugs? Any ETA? Can we have insights of how to follow the progress of paper bugs fixes (or bugs in general) ? And finally, will Jolla be interested in proposing a bug bounty program to get help in fixing non-priority/paper/usability bugs?
09:08:05 <Jaymzz> orangecat: good that you're available. Here comes the answer:
09:08:21 <Jaymzz> #info Our development is very grateful on the provided list. It gives valuable and factual information on problems that harm the experience on Sailfish OS. We appoint a large part of our development effort towards optimizing and maintaining Sailfish OS - in relation to just implementing new features. This information that community has provided is a major factor where we want to invest time. The provided list is included in our plan
09:08:22 <Jaymzz> ning and prioritized among other problems identified in our internal testing. in addition we will study if we can find an easy and efficient way on reporting the progress related to problems identified by community.
09:10:42 <orangecat> Thanks
09:10:58 <Jaymzz> Anything to add? :)
09:11:08 <Jaymzz> from anyone
09:11:15 <orangecat> Many in the community would be happy to be informed so often about progress in the bug fixing
09:11:46 <orangecat> Maybe a monthly developer blog post in the forum?
09:12:29 <Jaymzz> Sounds like a great idea! I need to check with our team and see if that would be something we can allocate resources to.
09:13:06 <orangecat> That would be great, thanks.
09:13:33 <Jaymzz> No worries :)
09:13:44 <Jaymzz> Anything else on this? we have plenty of time left
09:13:57 <orangecat> Some of the bugs of Sailfish X are related to Jolla's default applications (email, calendar). In particular, reliability bugs can hinder the trust on these apps (ex. impossible to select an account for contacts. Calendar may fail to sync if closed or not connected to internet).
09:14:13 <orangecat> Any plans for major updates of theses apps in the coming future?
09:16:25 <Jaymzz> We have these apps in our plans, yes. No ETA as to when we shall solve these issues, but surely, as stated in the answer we gave above, we certainly will invest time in these issues to deliver a better user experience
09:17:18 <pvuorela> i think in general it's more of a gradual thing than major updates. calendar and email are constantly getting work done.
09:17:50 <Jaymzz> yeah
09:18:07 <orangecat> If I'm not mistaken, those apps are open sourced?
09:18:22 <abranson> those core apps have been getting a few updates lately. plus every update has a list of TJC issues fixed at the end. 3.2.1 had such issues fixed in some core apps.
09:18:38 <pvuorela> orangecat: apps themselves are not, but the middleware is.
09:19:34 <abranson> https://together.jolla.com/question/217843/release-notes-321-nuuksio-released/#217843-tjc-issues-reported-by-the-community-and-fixed-in-this-update
09:19:51 <orangecat> Thanks
09:19:58 <pvuorela> apps being mostly just the ui layer.
09:20:12 <pvuorela> fixes welcome :)
09:20:18 <abranson> maybe more could be made of those fixes than a list of links
09:20:48 <orangecat> I had a few UI modifications ideas (e.g., unified inbox for read in email), but didn't know where to contribute.
09:21:14 <pvuorela> yea, the ui side is more problematic.
09:22:30 <abranson> one thing that's worked very well is when someone makes an alternative UI to use the same middleware. Like pvuorela said, most of the functionality is in the open source middleware for many of the apps, and a community app can cram a lot more features in than the jolla app - which should try to be a simple as possible.
09:23:20 <abranson> piggz' advanced camera app is exactly that, and it meant we could implement and test camera features that might take a lot longer to appear in the official app
09:24:34 <orangecat> One of these is keyboard layouts. They are simple QML files but are not allowed in the Jolla's store. Is there any plans to change that?
09:26:35 <pvuorela> no plans, the layout api is developed keyboard internal. however if there's clear demand for additional layouts, they can be considered to be included.
09:28:10 <Jaymzz> orangecat: anything else? time is up :)
09:28:21 <orangecat> It's good with me, thanks for all your answers
09:28:30 <Jaymzz> You're welcome!
09:28:30 <pvuorela> oh and btw, some issues from the list are already fixed :)
09:29:06 <Jaymzz> Cool, moving on to general discussion then
09:29:16 <Jaymzz> #topic general discussion (15 min)
09:29:45 <orangecat> Then, I might asked the forbidden question: ETA for next release ? :)
09:30:37 <Jaymzz> And I may give you the usual answer, "it's ready when it's ready" :D
09:31:57 <Jaymzz> jokes aside, we tend not to give ETAs on releases as there can always be unnoticed issues that we have to fix before the release that come up right on the intended date of publishing the update. That way we avoid announcing delays etc.
09:32:02 <r0kk3rz> oops i forgot
09:32:14 <orangecat> It is :) I've been using SFOS X for 3 months as my only mobile device and quite happy about it. Thanks for your work.
09:32:33 <r0kk3rz> next update is always SoonTM
09:32:34 <Jaymzz> orangecat: cheers! :) glad you're happy with it
09:32:49 <Jaymzz> r0kk3rz: you got it ;)
09:33:07 <ExTechOp> Has anyone done things using the accelerometer as an UI feature, eg. shaking the phone to switch on the flashlight?
09:33:41 <abranson> that could be annoying on a bumpy road!
09:34:24 <r0kk3rz> i think there have been some devices with gesture hybris sensors like that
09:34:35 <r0kk3rz> hybrid*
09:35:12 <ExTechOp> I've tried it on Android devices (at least Lenovo/Motorola) and the shaking required is so brisk that you would suffer a concussion if your whole vehicle shook like that, but it's a handy feature in the dark :-D
09:35:30 <Jaymzz> Yeah Motorola devices :) started from the first Moto X and still continues to this day on many Moto devices
09:36:20 <ExTechOp> Is the accelerometer something that would be available for people tinkering with Patchmanager stuff?
09:36:45 <ExTechOp> UI tweaks like this would seem to be what they mostlu do.
09:36:49 <ExTechOp> *mostly
09:37:00 <r0kk3rz> not sure about patchmanager
09:37:18 <r0kk3rz> its not really a ui tweak as such
09:38:35 <r0kk3rz> but if you want, come chat with porters about it in #sailfishos-porters
09:39:17 <Jaymzz> 5 min left
09:39:53 <orangecat> I have a personal question for Jolla
09:40:09 <Jaymzz> shoot
09:40:20 <orangecat> Do many Jolla's employees use a SFOS mobile device as their main or work phone?
09:40:36 <Jaymzz> Short answer: yes
09:40:50 <orangecat> A few years ago, Facebook forced its employeed to use Android as to detected and fix bugs or add improvement more quickly
09:43:10 <Jaymzz> There is no force. It is about believing in what you are working on and have a passion towards. All of the sailors working at Jolla have a huge passion towards Sailfish OS and its future. Therefore using our own product becomes a joy. OF course there are sailors (including me) who have an Android device next to their Sailfish, even iOS devices like iPads etc, but that (mostly) is to keep up with what's available on the market and ho
09:43:10 <Jaymzz> w we can compete.
09:43:44 <Jaymzz> My answer could be much longer than this as there are a ton of other reasons and examples, but that should be enough for now :D
09:43:58 <orangecat> Perfect, thanks
09:44:13 <abranson> of course we all use Sailfish. because it's the best one :D
09:44:21 <Jaymzz> hear hear
09:44:25 <Jaymzz> ;)
09:46:00 <Jaymzz> Alright people
09:46:03 <Jaymzz> time is up
09:46:20 <Jaymzz> #topic next meeting time and date (5 min)
09:46:31 <Jaymzz> #info Next meeting will be held on Feb 6th 2020 at 09:00 UTC
09:46:42 <Jaymzz> As usual, in 2 weeks time :)
09:47:06 <Jaymzz> Please announce your topics in advance on the planning page: https://together.jolla.com/question/54157/sailfishos-open-source-collaboration-meeting-planning/
09:47:34 <Jaymzz> I shall now end the meeting. Thanks all for attending and discussing! Meeting minutes will be sent your way shortly.
09:47:39 <Jaymzz> Until next time :)
09:47:45 <Jaymzz> #endmeeting