#sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 17th December 2020

Meeting started by sledges at 08:00:23 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Meeting information and agenda can be found here: (sledges, 08:00:27)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-17th-dec-2020/3499 (sledges, 08:00:39)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info (sledges, 08:00:51)
    1. Simonas Leleiva - privateer for Jolla (sledges, 08:01:07)
    2. Ville Nummela - sailor@Jolla (ViGe, 08:01:32)
    3. Andrew Branson - another privateer for Jolla (abranson, 08:01:39)
    4. Björn Bidar - sailor @ Jolla (Thaodan, 08:01:50)
    5. Vesa-Matti Hartikainen - sailor @ Jolla (veskuh, 08:02:08)
    6. Chris Adams - privateer for Jolla (chriadam, 08:02:55)
    7. Ruben De Smet - developer of Whisperfish and Rust User Group Belgium person. (rubdos, 08:02:56)
    8. Lukas Karas - community, developer (karry_, 08:03:21)
    9. David Llewellyn-Jones - sailor @ Jolla (flypig, 08:03:29)
    10. piggz community porter (piggz, 08:06:37)
    11. : takimata - user/dev (takimata70, 08:08:51)
    12. : ncartron - user (cartron, 08:09:07)
    13. : cartron - user (cartron, 08:09:20)

  2. State of the Jolla Store (10 min -- asked by thigg) (sledges, 08:09:29)
    1. <thigg> Many apps in the store are outdated/not maintained. Is there a strategy for obsolete/unmaintained apps? What are the priorities of Jolla in the store? What are the strategies to progress towards these priorities? Is it important for Jolla to make it easy for developers to publish in the store (compared to openrepos)? This is only a small part of this thread: (sledges, 08:09:35)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/jolla-store-what-is-the-plan/2691/15 (sledges, 08:10:04)
    3. <Jolla> Harbour rules have been strict historically, and we have been gradually working on making it easier to publish apps to Jolla Store. Progress in developer offering has often been dependent on customer projects, but we are planning to open up more APIs to make it possible to publish more apps in Jolla Store that are now only available in OpenRepos. (sledges, 08:11:18)
    4. <Jolla> In general, apps need good quality APIs in both OpenRepos and Jolla Store that stay working between the releases, e.g. there are issues in already allowed libraries like Camera API that should also be fixed. (sledges, 08:11:38)
    5. <Jolla> There will be some polls in the Forum in the near future to help us define the priorities in improving the Jolla Store. (sledges, 08:11:57)
    6. : gmc - community (gmc, 08:15:31)
    7. <sailr> What if Jolla would start an open accessible version control hosting for the jolla store - like github/gitlab/gitea - so that people can send pull requests for the listed apps and the developer just needs to approve them. Furthermore you could see the source code you are running on your device. (sledges, 08:20:50)
    8. Allowing background services to Jolla Store needs many aspects addressed firmly, including but not limited to: a rulebook what a daemon can or cannot do: more indepth (not automated) analysis of its src code, implement framework for user to choose which background services allowed (sledges, 08:29:08)
    9. <ViGe> Starting that series of polls which was mentioned in the answer: (sledges, 08:33:09)
    10. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/what-apis-are-missing-from-harbour/4017 (sledges, 08:33:12)
    11. Teams accounts on Jolla Store proposed as a good idea to address unmaintained apps (sledges, 08:34:27)

  3. Bi-weekly / monthly community updates (10 min -- asked by Nico[m]) (sledges, 08:34:32)
    1. <Nico[m]> Quite a few projects give regular community updates. One popular example is Matrix with "This week in matrix": (sledges, 08:34:41)
    2. https://matrix.org/blog/category/this-week-in-matrix/ (sledges, 08:34:45)
    3. <Nico[m]> another one is Nate Graham from KDE: (sledges, 08:34:48)
    4. https://pointieststick.com/ (sledges, 08:34:51)
    5. and UBPorts seems to have something similar. Such updates give developers and users a way to see, what others are doing, what is currently happening, discover new projects and a goal to have something presentable every few weeks. This usually takes the form of developers submitting updates on Friday (or so) and then a member collecting those updates and posting them as a blog post. (sledges, 08:34:54)
    6. <Nico[m]> I wanted to discuss this idea, if others are interested in such a thing and if Jolla would be willing to post those updates on their blog and maybe even chair the submission process. (sledges, 08:35:12)
    7. <Nico[m]> (Note that this would not replace community meeting, but rather extend them to less developer minded people.) (sledges, 08:35:22)
    8. <Jolla> Thank you for such suggestion, it would certainly be beneficial for community members to know what others are up to. We are going to discuss this further after the festive period. (sledges, 08:35:33)
    9. Damien, community, very late (dcaliste, 08:37:02)
    10. one can add .rss to any URL in the forum to just pull in that blog-like form thread (sledges, 08:40:11)

  4. The state of Rust as (application) programming language for Sailfish OS (10 min -- asked by rubdos) (sledges, 08:48:32)
    1. <rubdos> Sailfish OS 3.4 introduced Rust support. I and others: (sledges, 08:49:28)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/rust-howto-request/3187/22 (sledges, 08:49:31)
    3. <rubdos> would like to know whether Jolla and the community see Rust as a potential programming language, both in general and specifically for application writing. I will join the conversation from the Whisperfish perspective, having done Rust for Sailfish application writing before 3.4. (sledges, 08:49:33)
    4. https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/merge_requests/5 (sledges, 08:49:41)
    5. <Jolla> Sailfish OS apps (focus of the SDK offering, platform apps, etc.) are still mainly developed with Qt C++ and QML, but as general mobile operating system new languages and technologies are welcomed in the ecosystem. (sledges, 08:50:14)
    6. <Jolla> Rust specifically has a lot of potential, and while most of our focus is in improving C++ and QML support, we will also improve Rust support. (sledges, 08:50:27)
    7. (discussing about adventures when building sfos apps with rust, also via sdk, using Whisperfish as reference) (sledges, 08:59:18)

  5. reappearing calenders after each sync (5 min -- asked by apozaf) (sledges, 09:00:17)
    1. any news or fix? Why is that [bug still] in 3.4? (sledges, 09:00:25)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/calendar-bug-for-disabled-calendars-in-3-4-ea/2563 (sledges, 09:00:29)
    3. <Jolla> Yes, we do have a fix, courtesy of our non-resident calendar expert dcaliste. It didn't make it into 3.4 unfortunately, but will be in the next public release. The fix is in an internal repository, so we can't share a link I'm afraid. (sledges, 09:00:47)
    4. <chriadam> people who are interested in contributing to Sailfish OS are more than welcome to join dcaliste and I for our weekly discussions, Tuesdays on #sailfishos channel. Once we are finished with our weekly agenda, I am open to discussing other things with other folks. (sledges, 09:03:19)

  6. Silica components license and source code (15 min -- asked by Karry) (sledges, 09:04:38)
    1. <Karry> QML part of Silica components have BSD license, headers from `sailfishsilica-qt5-devel` package have LGPL license. But sources are not publicly available. (sledges, 09:04:49)
    2. <Karry> What is the license of native part of the components? It is really proprietary? Is Jolla aware of the fact that Silica cannot be used with GPL applications? Is there any plan to change it and publish sources with some OSS license? (sledges, 09:04:59)
    3. Long version: (sledges, 09:05:09)
    4. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/silica-components-license-and-source-code/3561 (sledges, 09:05:10)
    5. <Jolla> Official decision to publish C++ part of Silica under LGPL has unfortunately not been made. We will clean up the headers. (sledges, 09:05:37)
    6. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SystemLibraryException (ViGe, 09:09:33)
    7. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL (piggz, 09:22:30)
    8. <veskuh> Right, so our original plan was to publish these with mixed license. That never happened, and licenses are now incorrecly marked on some of the silica packages. (sledges, 09:24:18)
    9. <veskuh> We are in process of marking correct licenses on any packages where we know there is an error (sledges, 09:24:25)
    10. <community> you can link a GPL app to Silica, because Silica qualifies as System Library (sledges, 09:26:08)
    11. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SystemLibraryException (sledges, 09:26:16)
    12. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL (sledges, 09:26:20)

  7. Wired headset media buttons don't work with Android apps (10 min -- asked by sailr) (sledges, 09:27:03)
    1. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/headset-media-buttons-dont-work-with-android-apps/2428 (sledges, 09:27:11)
    2. <sailr> My [wired] headphones have media buttons (play/pause, volume up, volume down), and they work great with the standard SFOS media player app. (sledges, 09:27:17)
    3. <sailr> However, I want to use them with Android apps such as Spotify, but they don't seem to work. (sledges, 09:27:21)
    4. <sailr> Play/pause button: Does not work at all, including double-press to skip current song and triple-press to rewind. Everything works fine with SFOS media player. (sledges, 09:27:26)
    5. <sailr> Volume up & volume down: Only works when device is "awake" (I have to press the power button to turn on the screen); when playing from the SFOS media player I can also change volume when the device is locked (screen completely off), which is very comfortable. (sledges, 09:27:32)
    6. <sailr> I can't do that when playing media from an Android app, instead I always have to "wake up" the device. (sledges, 09:27:39)
    7. <Jolla> The task for this to work would be to rewrite Sailfish.Media's MediaKeys functionality to MPRIS, that will then also work for Android App Support. (sledges, 09:27:49)

  8. General Discussion (10 min) (sledges, 09:32:32)
    1. fridl - community (fridl, 09:33:50)
    2. a nice active activity over the festive holiday season: (sledges, 09:36:14)
    3. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/sailfish-devember-3-0/3322 (sledges, 09:36:16)

  9. Next meeting time and date (5 min) (sledges, 09:43:19)
    1. Next meeting will be held on Thursday 14th January 2021 at 8:00am UTC: 2021-01-14T08Z (sledges, 09:45:51)

Meeting ended at 09:47:06 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)

People present (lines said)

  1. sledges (125)
  2. rubdos (40)
  3. flypig (21)
  4. piggz (21)
  5. gmc (21)
  6. chriadam (20)
  7. karry_ (16)
  8. ApBBB (15)
  9. dcaliste (13)
  10. abranson (12)
  11. Thaodan (12)
  12. ViGe (11)
  13. cartron (10)
  14. rinigus (7)
  15. veskuh (6)
  16. takimata70 (6)
  17. fridl (5)
  18. sailbot (4)
  19. jpetrell (4)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.