#sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 5th August 2021

Meeting started by sledges at 07:00:25 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Meeting information and agenda can be found here: (sledges, 07:00:42)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-5th-august-2021/7159 (sledges, 07:00:44)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info (sledges, 07:00:58)
    1. Simonas Leleiva -- privateer for Jolla (sledges, 07:01:05)
    2. fridlmue - community (fridl, 07:02:19)
    3. Joona Petrell - sailor @ Jolla (jpetrell, 07:02:22)
    4. Otto Makela -- community (ExTechOp, 07:02:25)
    5. David Llewellyn-Jones - sailor @ jolla (flypig, 07:02:46)
    6. Lukáš Karas - community developer (karry, 07:03:15)
    7. thigg - community dev (thilo[m], 07:05:54)

  2. Status of allowed APIs and restrictions to the store (12.5 min -- asked by ApBBB) (sledges, 07:06:15)
    1. <ApBBB> In the past there has been a discussion about all the things that are not allowed in the store and APIs needed. We also made a poll "API Priority poll, take II": (sledges, 07:06:32)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/api-priority-poll-take-ii/4159 (sledges, 07:06:36)
    3. <ApBBB> to prioritize things. Is there any status update on that or parts of that. SFOS is held back by all these restrictions and the sooner we get rid of them the better for the end user. (sledges, 07:06:47)
    4. <Jolla> The API priority poll was made by Jolla chief Ville Nummela to get feedback from community about the biggest omissions in the Sailfish OS API offering. We have lately put considerably more effort on APIs, which you should gradually start to see in the upcoming releases. Stay tuned. :) (sledges, 07:07:08)
    5. https://github.com/sailfishos/sdk-harbour-rpmvalidator/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed (sledges, 07:08:23)
    6. https://sailfishos.org/#DX (sledges, 07:13:24)
    7. Damien Caliste, community, sorry to be late (dcaliste, 07:15:53)
    8. good mentions of the most promising native Matrix app: (sledges, 07:21:02)
    9. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/sailtrix-matrix-client-supporting-end-to-end-encryption/7199 (sledges, 07:21:04)

  3. Different bug patch release strategy for 10 II? (10 min -- asked by EA3ICN) (sledges, 07:21:39)
    1. <EA3ICN> Would it be possible to release bug fixes in smaller but more frequent batches in order not to wait for the full next release of the OS? Hot fixes seem to be the norm in other projects, is there a reason why these are not used in SFOS? (sledges, 07:21:50)
    2. <Jolla> We are now consciously putting effort in making more regular releases to avoid bigger gaps between the updates. (sledges, 07:23:33)
    3. <Jolla> We used hotfixes repo for the whole OS in the past (see `ssu lr`), however nowadays we instead choose well tested stable OS releases, after proper integration. Which unfortunately does not leave room for patching up individual devices. (sledges, 07:23:59)

  4. implement the fuctionality of ‘Personal Ringtones’ by coderus into Sailfish OS by default (30 min -- asked by tobset) (sledges, 07:33:42)
    1. <tobset> playing individual ringtones for specific contacts is a core functionality of a (smart)phone for at least 18 years. (sledges, 07:33:50)
    2. <tobset> Since coderus stopped maintaining 'Personal Ringtones', no aarch64 support is in sight. (So my X10 II matches my old 6310...and we’re back in 2002 ;) (sledges, 07:34:13)
    3. The rest of the description: (sledges, 07:34:18)
    4. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-5th-august-2021/7159/4 (sledges, 07:34:21)
    5. <Jolla> Contact-specific ringtones would indeed be a very cool feature. Getting Personal Ringtones to work on aarch64 probably only requires a recompilation, unfortunately looks like the playback implementation (voicecall plugin) is only stored in the personal-ringtones git repository in binary format. (sledges, 07:35:11)
    6. <Jolla> Upstreaming would require integrating the functionality to platform's dedicated voicecall ringtone plugin, contact libraries, sound settings, audio policy definitions, which is a bit of work. (sledges, 07:35:28)
    7. https://github.com/sailfishos/voicecall ?? (flypig, 07:44:49)
    8. https://github.com/sailfishos/voicecall/blob/master/plugins/ngf/src/ngfringtoneplugin.cpp (sledges, 07:50:24)

  5. General discussion (30 min) (sledges, 07:51:58)
  6. Next meeting time and date (5 min) (sledges, 08:28:52)
    1. Next meeting will be held on Thursday 19th August 2021 at 7:00am UTC: 2021-08-05T07Z (sledges, 08:31:32)

Meeting ended at 08:31:41 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)

People present (lines said)

  1. sledges (76)
  2. flypig (45)
  3. ExTechOp (20)
  4. ApBBB (17)
  5. thilo[m] (15)
  6. dcaliste (15)
  7. jpetrell (14)
  8. rinigus (13)
  9. abr (12)
  10. Cy8aer[m] (11)
  11. fridl (9)
  12. piggz (9)
  13. karry (5)
  14. lqramen (5)
  15. sailbot (2)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.