07:00:08 <sledges> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 9th September 2021
07:00:08 <sailbot> Meeting started Thu Sep  9 07:00:08 2021 UTC. The chair is sledges. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
07:00:08 <sailbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
07:00:15 <sledges> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here:
07:00:19 <sledges> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-9th-september-2021/7768
07:00:25 <sledges> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Thank you Mr Branson for being the substitute teacher last time. I shall too expect no funny business today, especially from those in the back row :]
07:00:35 <sledges> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info
07:00:59 <sledges> #info Simonas Leleiva -- privateer for Jolla
07:01:03 <Nico> #info Nico, community
07:01:05 <ViGe> #info Ville Nummela - sailor@Jolla
07:01:10 <Thaodan> #info Björn Bidar - sailor @ Jolla
07:01:19 <Dakon> #info Rolf Eike Beer - community
07:01:21 <jpetrell> #info Joona Petrell - sailor @ Jolla
07:01:21 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä - community
07:01:57 <ddobrev> #info Dimitar Dobrev - community
07:02:07 <meegouser> #info meegouser, Community
07:03:36 <fridl> #info fridlmue - community
07:04:21 <Nico> So Jolla is outnumbered, huh? ;p
07:04:38 <lbt> #info David Greaves - sailor @ Jolla
07:04:44 <sledges> "luckily" not by much:))
07:04:45 * lbt steps  up
07:05:26 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones - sailor @ Jolla
07:05:33 <Nico> Well, it is nice to not have overslept for once
07:06:10 <sledges> :) let's begin the class!
07:06:13 <sledges> #topic Is mpris usage [API] going to be allowed in the official store soon? (referencing podqast) (5 min -- asked by thigg)
07:06:34 <sledges> #info <Jolla> MPRIS API is being maturized for inclusion in the official API selection, but the target release is not yet certain. If you are technical you can follow the progress in Github even help provide review feedback to get it matured faster.
07:06:46 <sledges> #link https://github.com/sailfishos/qtmpris/pull/1
07:07:31 <sledges> thigg might have overslept this one:)
07:08:41 <sledges> i'd the answer seems satisfactory, so let's move on, many other topics to cover today
07:09:05 <sledges> #topic "Always on" option (5 min -- asked by bfd_fr)
07:09:15 <sledges> #info <bfd_fr> Some applications require the device to stay always on, not going into dark mode and lock screen, especially GPS/routing applications. Is it possible to add an "always on" button in the top menu?
07:09:59 <sledges> #info <Jolla> Community correctly answered that apps should take care of that themselves (and it already works fine in App Support like Google Maps), for native apps use:
07:10:05 <sledges> #link https://sailfishos.org/develop/docs/nemo-qml-plugins-keepalive/
07:10:15 <sledges> orig. answer:
07:10:16 <sledges> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-19th-august-2021/7534/7
07:10:34 <ddobrev> Not sure if this is related but I've had applications disappear after a while when the phone's been asleep.
07:10:35 <Dakon> maybe a general note about all this "target release is not yet certain" as that happens often for understandable reasons: maybe just provide some hints every 2 month about it "we plan in release +2", "has been shifted back 1 release because of no time/collision with other feature/$problem" (of course giving the underlying reason, not just a placeholder)
07:10:47 <Dakon> I guess that's what annoys people most
07:11:02 <sledges> ddobrev: did their covers turn grey?
07:11:36 <ddobrev> sledges: I don't know what you mean by covers, I mean their tiles disappear from the home screen.
07:11:53 <dcaliste> #info Damien Caliste, community
07:12:30 <Dakon> (that guy needs no introduction *g*)
07:12:43 <sledges> ddobrev: yes, covers=tiles. that'd mean they just closed by themselves as opposed to be killed via out-of-memory. please retest with 4.2.0, as there have been low memory killer improvements (i.e. they will grey out but their tiles will remain:)
07:12:57 * Nico mumbles something about the keepalive C++ API not being documented
07:13:03 <Nico> Maybe I should fix that :D
07:13:04 <ddobrev> I'll try.
07:13:23 <ddobrev> But I've had this happen numerous times with just one cover in total.
07:13:42 <sledges> logs logs logs:)
07:13:59 <ddobrev> OK, I'll make sure to get them next time.
07:14:31 <sledges> Dakon: ok, i'll pass it on to try and be more clear about the reasons and roadmap
07:14:38 <Thaodan> There is this German saying: "Wer schreibt der bleibt" which roughly means only those that provide written evidence get to be heard.
07:14:44 <sledges> Nico: thanks:)
07:15:05 <sledges> let's move to the next one
07:15:09 <sledges> #topic Xperia 10 II headset microphone (5 min -- asked by bfd_fr)
07:15:15 <sledges> #info <bfd_fr> On Xperia 10ii, the current OS version mentions that it is no possible to use a headset with a microphone on the jack connector. This is a huge annoyance, could you please fix is soon? Alternatively or additionally, can we connect a headset with microphone on the USB-C plug?
07:15:27 <sledges> #info <Jolla> Headset's microphone is fixed in the next SFOS release (4.2.0)
07:16:46 <sledges> on the USB-C front I think UI lacks the selection (that's not to say we didn't have a prototype ready for such during one internal hackathon:)
07:17:28 <Nico> You should push the prototype into production (like the USB network sharing) ;p
07:17:33 <Dakon> offer a cli and ship that with the next release, there will be enough people testing it
07:18:05 <sledges> it's good to know USB-C gadgets use seems more in demand than we thought
07:18:36 <sledges> *OTG
07:18:49 <Dakon> seriously: just make a big "I will test broken features" button, maybe hidden after "I get prerelease software" and just ship those things even in production builds, this will get you better testing than anything you can do internally
07:20:10 <ddobrev> Dakon: :D
07:20:15 <meegouser> A "Sailfish Nightly" release channel :D
07:20:20 <sledges> some things can't be decoupled from existing important features that easily. I'd call the whole prerelease somewhat a testbed
07:20:21 <Nico> Which reminds me, the network sharing usb mode is still not installed by default. I wonder what the issues with it are :3
07:20:47 <sledges> Nico: it makes USB selection dialog even more crowded? need to make that optionable
07:21:11 <Nico> I guess it does, but it is very useful during train rides :D
07:21:17 <Nico> I use it a lot
07:21:36 <Nico> An optional package in harbour might work
07:21:37 <Dakon> meegouser: no, I meant just leave unfinished things when they are basically working and scheduled for the next release in the normal update, just disabled, so there is more early testing
07:21:48 <Thaodan> sledges Niko: To me the dialog is fine, 4 options are ok.
07:21:56 <Dakon> whatever works
07:22:10 <sledges> Thaodan: we already suffer from words that get broken by a letter when trying to fit with translations
07:22:19 <sledges> good thing we might have news in the soft-hyphen front soon
07:22:35 <Thaodan> maybe it depends on the language
07:22:49 <Thaodan> For German and English it works fine
07:23:10 <jpetrell> proof of concept quality code done in hackathons often take shortcuts we cannot merge to product code
07:23:18 <jpetrell> production code
07:23:32 <jpetrell> also if you can enable feature on command line means UI side still needs to be developed
07:24:19 <Dakon> sure, I know how that works ;) btdt
07:24:44 <jpetrell> :) 👍
07:24:51 <sledges> been there done that:)
07:25:09 <Thaodan> meegouser: That's what cbeta is basicly ;)
07:25:19 <sledges> gat (got a t-shirt)
07:25:51 <sledges> time to move to the next one (not talking about x10ii mic anymore really:)
07:25:54 <sledges> #topic Is there a list of officially supported Bluetooth devices? (10 min -- asked by bfd_fr)
07:26:02 <sledges> #info <bfd_fr> Some applications require the device to stay always on, not going into dark mode and lock screen, especially GPS/routing applications. Is it possible to add an "always on" button in the top menu?
07:26:20 <sledges> whoops
07:26:21 <sledges> #undo
07:26:21 <sailbot> Removing item from minutes: <MeetBot.items.Info object at 0x7f8a53ccc470>
07:26:49 <sledges> well #topic is the #info actually:)
07:26:54 <sledges> #info <Jolla> There are no officially supported Bluetooth devices, but there could be a wiki page where supported devices were documented. The support varies between devices (e.g. due to the adaptation version differences between old and new devices) so the support page should probably form a table instead of a list.
07:27:32 <piggz> at least i can confirm the parrot ck3100 works much better with 4.2 ... totally broken previously :)
07:27:40 <Nico> I feel like the outbput from MeetBot could be improved, when removing items. Seeing "object at address" is always a bit weird :D
07:27:55 <sledges> heh time to test this parrot over here too
07:28:21 <ddobrev> By the way, it seems to me on topic to express my disappointment with Bluetooth still not supported through the Android layer in 4.2.0.
07:28:35 <ddobrev> And last time you did confirm you had the source code available.
07:28:51 <sledges> Rome wasn't built in a day
07:29:30 <ddobrev> OK then, how many of the 7 hills have you urbanised so far?
07:29:37 <Nico> Excuses! Romans were just inefficient!
07:30:46 <sledges> i'll also express my wish that someone could port Fitbit to Amazfit:) using https://github.com/benallard/galileo
07:31:04 <sledges> *Amazfish
07:31:16 <atlochowski> So what about to make a list of working bluetooth devices? It's a good job for community on forum
07:32:00 <Dakon> the more important part will to link all the bugtracker items where things are actually broken
07:32:22 <flypig> I like the idea of a working BT list. Would it work formatted as a thread though?
07:32:34 <ViGe> atlochowski: I agree. Someone just needs to create a post.
07:32:45 <ViGe> flypig: I think it would work better as a wiki kind of post
07:33:12 <flypig> Yes, I think you're right.
07:33:40 <atlochowski> wiki kind of post is a good idea
07:37:17 <sledges> ok, i'll move to next topic unless someone quickly creates a forum wiki post as placeholder to link here :)
07:37:51 <Dakon> just post it as a reply to the post where you announce the minutes
07:38:08 <sledges> that's plan B
07:38:51 <sledges> movin' on up
07:38:52 <sledges> #topic Support for easily installing Google Play Services (20 min -- asked by ddobrev)
07:39:06 <sledges> #info <ddobrev> Unfortunately, many applications depend on Google Play Services. Even if we as individual users don't particularly like such, they're often forced upon us by others. This is why it's crucial that Sailfish supports them. I'm aware of the legal obstructions, but I have some thoughts that I think can lead to a both safe and useful solution.
07:39:24 <sledges> #info <Jolla> There are hooks to a script when starting App Support to e.g. add extra mounts to /system partition, however we would strongly discourage using GMS as that defeats the purpose of using Sailfish OS. Naturally, we cannot provide further extensions to facilitate this. We encourage to use MicroG:
07:39:44 <sledges> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/alternative-to-google-services-and-signature-spoofing/1728
07:39:56 <sledges> #info <Jolla> P. S.: there have been notions that Google Maps cannot run without GMS or MicroG. That is not true: Google Maps runs just fine without Google Play Services and without MicroG, as opposed to this video (which is still very useful for installing MicroG):
07:40:03 <ddobrev> Why do you think it defeats the purpose? Privacy?
07:40:04 <sledges> #link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K05m3EJJ9A
07:40:27 <sledges> ddobrev: yes and if one wants android, should use android:)
07:40:31 <sledges> imho
07:40:43 <ddobrev> Indeed, GMaps doesn't need the services, it just "recommends" them.
07:41:02 <ddobrev> Fortunately, rarely.
07:41:02 <sledges> and one cannot sign in to google account even with microg installed
07:41:15 <sledges> but latest google maps now remembers your history locations even without signing in!
07:41:29 <ExTechOp> (Has someone tried Google Chat, does it require full Google Play Services?)
07:41:47 <ddobrev> sledges: really? Any way to delete them?
07:41:55 <sledges> yes, click (x) at each end
07:42:25 <ddobrev> Each end in what, some list?
07:42:56 <sledges> yes, history list
07:43:07 <sledges> appears when tapped on "Search"
07:43:11 <sledges> for destinations
07:43:23 <ddobrev> How recently have they added this? I don't remember seeing it.
07:43:33 <sledges> ~6months ago
07:43:57 <ddobrev> So I should've seen it, hmm. I guess I haven't paid attention.
07:44:03 <ddobrev> Thank you for mentioning.
07:44:15 <sledges> ddobrev: so what is your proposal?:)
07:44:25 <ddobrev> Back to the topic: does that link for MicroG contain instructions for Sailfish?
07:44:40 <Nico> I thought everyone was using Pure Maps nowadays anyway
07:44:58 <ddobrev> Not accurate enough, missing many locations.
07:45:15 <ddobrev> The author intends to add HERE but so far still intends.
07:46:26 <ddobrev> sledges: so, I don't need gulag services per se.
07:46:35 <ddobrev> But rather their functionality.
07:46:39 <ExTechOp> Getting MicroG working on SFOS is not quite trivial, the best instructions I've seen were by DrYak: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/microg-in-sfos-3-4-0-22-24/2594
07:46:45 <ddobrev> If MicroG is good enough, then fine by me.
07:47:07 <Thaodan> ddobrev: That depends on the backend. osmscout-server works quite good for me.
07:47:11 <ddobrev> ExTechOp: excellent, thank you!
07:47:40 <ddobrev> Thaodan: I haven't used complemented my pure maps with it, I'll try.
07:48:02 <ddobrev> sledges: so, what ExTechOp brought up has been my point to begin with.
07:48:19 <atlochowski> sledges can you make this post wiki? https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/list-of-working-bluetooth-devices/8042
07:48:24 <ddobrev> Whether it's the gulag services or MicroG, it's too difficult to install.
07:48:54 <sledges> atlochowski: done
07:49:02 <ddobrev> For example, Genymotion simply accepts a dropped zip with them.
07:49:04 <ddobrev> And it works.
07:49:14 <Thaodan> ddobrev: Gulag is a rather unfitting word.. Please refrain from using it.
07:49:21 <sledges> ddobrev: MicroG can be installed without opening cmdline once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K05m3EJJ9A
07:50:05 <ddobrev> Thaodan: it's rather fitting for what they're becoming or maybe even have become.
07:51:20 <Nico> It doesn't read well in the logs though
07:51:59 <sledges> agreed
07:52:23 <sledges> so, have we heard your "I have some thoughts that I think can lead to a both safe and useful solution" ddobrev? :)
07:52:46 <ddobrev> Not yet so here we go:
07:53:01 <meegouser> Here WeGo > Google Maps any day.
07:53:13 <sledges> ah, the post by DrYak is good enough for now? I appreciate that installing MicroG on ever-evolving App Support is a moving target
07:53:33 <sledges> and truly the video by Leszek shows that MicroG can be installed without developer mode
07:53:34 <ddobrev> Add whatever infrastructue is necessary beneath so that we have the equivalent of drag-dropping the package in Genymotion.
07:54:02 <ddobrev> And then don't announce it in order not to get in that legal trouble you've mentioned at the forums.
07:54:12 <ddobrev> The community will find out about it soon enough.
07:54:23 <sledges> what is Genymotion? any links?
07:54:32 <ddobrev> Of course, if MicroG is that reliable and easy to install, it won't be necessary.
07:54:39 <ddobrev> It's an emulator for Android.
07:54:52 <ddobrev> https://www.genymotion.com/
07:55:15 <ddobrev> A few more words about their process since I thought it was famous enough:
07:55:51 <ddobrev> There are downloads of the services, as you know. The same ones used for Sailfish itself by people who've tried.
07:55:56 <ddobrev> Zip files.
07:55:59 <sledges> #info ddobrev's proposal to Jolla, in case MicroG is unsatifactory
07:56:03 <sledges> #info <ddobrev> Add whatever infrastructue is necessary beneath so that we have the equivalent of drag-dropping the package in Genymotion.
07:56:14 <sledges> #link https://www.genymotion.com
07:56:23 <ddobrev> Then one creates his emulator, starts it and drops the zip within.
07:57:03 <ddobrev> Genymotion asks whether one's certain to flash it and after confirmation it does, requires restarting and after it everything works.
07:57:07 <ddobrev> The store, etc.
07:57:11 <Thaodan> My thought is why? Its Google it's the thing people want to avoid with sfos.
07:57:39 <ddobrev> This is why I said: if MicroG is realiable and easy enough, then there's no point.
07:57:49 <Thaodan> This sounds like it has some logic that takes care of the installation.
07:58:02 <Thaodan> ddobrev: MicroG still uses Google Services
07:58:03 <ddobrev> There's definitely the question, though, why people in the forums have tried the services to begin with in this case.
07:58:19 <ddobrev> *reliable
07:59:01 <ddobrev> Thaodan: their web-site says it's a reimplementation. Do you mean it still reaches the same remote servers etc?
07:59:33 <sledges> MicroG website says the like of:
07:59:36 <sledges> "Service Core (GmsCore) is a library app, providing the functionality required to run apps that use Google Play Services or Google Maps Android API (v2)."
08:00:30 <sledges> and logging into google account doesn't work with MicroG
08:01:39 <sledges> thanks ddobrev for the input, we need to carry on
08:02:06 <sledges> I'd reply in BG, but my irssi is not on UTF-8 env now x)
08:02:15 <sledges> #topic JTAG access to Jolla1 storage (5 min -- asked by Dakon)
08:02:23 <ddobrev> sledges: could you post the easy (from the video, presumably) instructions for MicroG in a visible place then?
08:02:31 <ddobrev> So that everyone can see them?
08:02:53 <sledges> ddobrev: MicroG and GMS are purely community driven efforts
08:03:05 <sledges> #info <Dakon> as my initial attempt did not result in any useful information
08:03:10 <sledges> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-24th-june-2021/6707/10
08:03:17 <sledges> #info <Dakon> here a more detailed question: please tell me which connectors allow JTAG access to the internal storage of a Jolla 1, and which adapter/settings/etc. is needed to download the eMMC contents.
08:03:31 <sledges> #info <Jolla> Jolla 1 support has been discontinued. The problem is that we really shouldn't spend any time on products that are out of support as we have enough work in supporting the fleet of devices we continue to push out software for, and the new ones we want to bring out.
08:03:42 <sledges> #info <Jolla> For example in this case a competent engineer would be digging the relevant bits of the specs and that requires effort that is instead needed on their other developments.
08:03:52 <sledges> #info <Jolla> We also can't just share or publish the whole specs as they may be under NDA, and at minimum we would need to dig out relevant docs and have legal check on if we can share them or not.
08:04:08 <sledges> #info <Jolla> At some point of product's life manufacturer will have to cut the product out of support and that's what we have done with Jolla 1. That unfortunately means that we will not be spending effort to find answers to difficult questions and as these are very detailed questions near to HW, we can't unfortunately now provide you with satisfactory answers.
08:04:41 <Nico> *not?
08:04:56 <sledges> <!-- end of response:) -->
08:05:06 <Nico> Ah, I misread it, makes sense
08:06:33 * sledges (with community hat on) *cough* reverse engineer *cough* :)
08:06:49 <Dakon> I wonder who else if not the HW manufacturer will be able to dig that information out. So much to the praise of the community.
08:07:05 <ExTechOp> Just out of curiosity, how many Jolla 1 users were there remaining at the time support was terminated, I believe you would have some kind of numbers how many units were visiting the store?
08:07:56 <Dakon> since it was still tested with 3.4 I bet some engineer would have to fix something around that timeframe and would remember how to find the docs
08:08:43 <sledges> ExTechOp: i'm not certain such info could be disclosed
08:08:49 <ExTechOp> (I know my original Jolla 1 was pretty dead at the time, battery replacements were no longer available)
08:09:20 <sledges> I just ordered HTC Desire 310D and another aftermarket battery replacements for Jolla 1 here
08:09:40 <Nico> I stopped using my J1 1 or 2 years before the end, because the emmc was getting unreliable as well as the battery needing another replacement
08:10:24 <Dakon> I bought a Sony 10 II to be able to use Sailfosh, but just in the process of doing the backup the J1 died
08:10:24 <meegouser> Weren't there around 10,000 Jolla 1s in use in late 2018, as written in a Blog post ("#StillUsingJolla)? Mine certainly still is still my daily driver :)
08:11:09 <Dakon> and for fun fact the Jolla backup does not include all the Android stuff you have on the device, so it's pretty useless
08:11:18 <sledges> my retirement-aged parents still have Jolla 1 each to keep in touch during pandemic:) hence the need of new batterie
08:12:05 <meegouser> ExTechOp: That's not true, there still are compatible batts out there, and new.
08:12:14 <Dakon> I have 2 working batteries here, you can have them for free together with another working J1 once I got my data from the broken one
08:12:35 <Thaodan> sledges: I think we are out of time are we?
08:12:42 <atlochowski> Bluetooth wiki post is ready so please share your expierience with Bluetooth devices https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/list-of-working-bluetooth-devices/8042
08:12:45 <sledges> waiting for conclusion from Dakon
08:12:53 <ExTechOp> meegouser Could well be, but at that time I was unable to find them, and I've since gone the Xperia route
08:12:55 <sledges> thanks atlochowski
08:13:33 <Dakon> sledges: conclusion: again a non-answer, and I'm expected to give up here because noone will be able to help me if not the HW vendor
08:13:39 <Nico> Maybe you can give Dakon access to the relevant doc under NDA and sledges then gets 2 free batteries? :D
08:13:57 <sledges> Dakon: thanks for the offer, but like I said, replacement batteries are on the way (received one called X-longer for HTC Desire 310, seems to hold up well)
08:14:26 <Dakon> offer is open for anyone else as well ;)
08:14:31 <lbt> I'm just wondering what the goal of this is?
08:14:31 <sledges> Dakon: ask around low level forums, JTAG is not a myriad of pins, should be able to reverse enginner the test points
08:14:46 <sledges> lbt: Dakon wants to recover his precious user data from a dead Jolla 1
08:15:23 <Dakon> especially the Threema stuff, afterwards it can rest in p(eace|ieces) for good
08:15:29 <lbt> just checking that this is not really a big community project as such - more an individual task
08:16:14 <Dakon> JTAG are not many pins, but there are quite a lot of connectors on the board as seen on the pictures and I would like to know on which ones to start
08:16:30 <Dakon> can't be that secret not to tell that, especially for a dead HW platform
08:16:32 <sledges> Dakon: should send photos to such forums, they might be able to infer a cluser
08:16:49 <Dakon> thx anyway
08:16:54 <sledges> Dakon: if ODM finds out a breach of NDA, it's not a good thing
08:17:14 <sledges> s/cluser/cluster/
08:17:19 <sledges> ok, let's move ahead
08:17:23 <sledges> #topic VoLTE update (5 min -- asked by marxistvegan)
08:17:26 <sledges> #info <marxistvegan> It has been discussed that VoLTE is in the works, just want to get an update on the development.
08:17:31 <sledges> #info <Jolla> We are progressing slowly, but there is no news to share at this point. Stay tuned.
08:18:12 <meegouser> Dakon: maybe give Qisda a holler, since they've produced it. :D
08:18:27 <Nico> How can I stay tuned, if my xperia X doesn't have FM radio support? ;p
08:18:35 * sledges DABs
08:18:38 <lbt> :D
08:19:16 <fridl> Is Jolla somehow in connection with ubports and/or sysmocom on that toppic?
08:19:30 <fridl> to join efforts?
08:19:36 <Nico> I guess we will get VoLTE before that is the only option for calls in Finnland
08:20:50 <sledges> fridl: I believe the same answer applies to your question too
08:21:38 <sledges> marxistvegan isn't about, let's move to General discussion
08:21:41 <sledges> #topic General discussion (15 min)
08:21:57 <sledges> any simpressions on 4.2.0 EA so far?:)
08:22:14 <ExTechOp> Just installed it this morning, at least it boots.
08:22:21 <sledges> woo!
08:22:35 <Nico> Yes, browser doesn't have a working close button and the tabs view opens slowly
08:22:46 <Nico> But I complained to mal about that yesterday already ;p
08:23:15 <meegouser> sledges: I read that Russian network providers are in plans to shut off their 3G networks in 2023-2025, has there been some more reliable info e.g. from Rostelecom concerning 3G sunset dates? Since Russia / the Russian Post are the biggest customer at the moment, I presume that their needs regarding VoLTE (which would very likely be a necessity in a 2G/4G landscape) dictate the priority this feature has at the moment.
08:23:16 <ExTechOp> This "Android subsystem self-reports isLowRamDevice()" issue seems to still be there: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/android-subsystem-self-reports-islowramdevice/6957
08:23:19 <Nico> But I am at least working on a solution: https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser/pull/905
08:23:23 <sledges> maybe can be addressed in 4.3.0 (as it's aleady in the works ;)
08:23:30 <fridl> Is it normal in 4.2 on the X10II to have the systemd journal spammed with :'kernel: sec_ts 1-0048: [sec_input] sec_ts_read_event: event buffer is empty' and `kernel: binder: 6472 RLIMIT_NICE not set`? (don't want to have it debugged, just want to know if im the only one observing that)
08:23:30 <sledges> #link https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/1435857287638306817
08:23:34 <peperjohnny> the android networking situation seems to have improved quite a bit. Haven't seen any network drops yet =)
08:24:42 <Nico> Link for slow tabs: https://matrix.neko.dev/_matrix/media/r0/download/neko.dev/gvEaWkiDlNTvtUPPAbMrCKJt
08:24:48 <ddobrev> Talking about networking, fix the VPN already.
08:24:54 <ddobrev> It keeps detaching.
08:25:08 <Nico> sledges: Patiently waiting for 4.3, it will finally fix tracker on my phone (if it includes the tracker3 upgrade)
08:25:16 <ddobrev> Which is by itself normal for VPN-s but it doesn't auto–reconnect afterwards.
08:25:30 <ddobrev> As if you can't always save the credentials.
08:26:10 <ddobrev> And of course the fact that the screen for reconnecting is a dialogue - lost as soon as another app's opened, for example to copy the credentials from.
08:26:42 <ddobrev> I have to use a text editor as an intermediary, to add insult to injury.
08:28:27 <sledges> meegouser: noted!
08:28:38 <meegouser> good.
08:29:18 <sledges> ExTechOp: thanks for re-pinging, may not have bubbled up the priorities list yet
08:29:32 <sledges> fridl: kernel needs to be made more quiet there, patches very welcome
08:29:37 <sledges> (loglevel?)
08:29:51 <sledges> i'm sure it ennoys aosp sony devs too
08:29:52 <sledges> *annoys
08:30:13 <sledges> (ennoys - near anagram of sony:)
08:30:53 <fridl> sledges: thanks for the answer. I didn't change the loglevel, but it prevents me from giving meaningful logs to Jolla, as they are cropped due to to many lines i think.
08:31:18 <sledges> fridl: grep -v "sec_ts"
08:31:35 <sledges> oh, and binder and NICE too:)
08:31:54 <ExTechOp> ddobrev The VPN interface also has issues that the GUI data entry doesn't allow using all options (like setting the MTU for some 3G connections) that would be needed
08:31:56 <sledges> peperjohnny: great, even when returning from mobile data to your home wifi coverage?
08:32:42 <ddobrev> ExTechOp: so there's definitely work needed.
08:32:48 <sledges> #undo
08:32:48 <sailbot> Removing item from minutes: <MeetBot.items.Link object at 0x7f8a52929d30>
08:32:48 <fridl> sledges: still the log is cut of in total i think as it reaches some length limit. Therefore the 5 to 10 min I want to capture are not at all in the log. (where it should be from boot i think.)
08:32:50 <sledges> #link https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/1435882933991219204
08:33:04 <peperjohnny> sledges: yup works reasonably well
08:33:04 <sledges> fridl: gzip?
08:33:07 <sledges> nice!
08:34:05 <sledges> Nico: yep, tracker is currently slated for 4.3 inclusion (things might still change but looking positive)
08:34:39 <Nico> How do you guys even get all those fancy pictures all the time? Do you send out a Sailor with a camera or is the answer more boring? :D
08:34:50 <sledges> ddobrev: a link to forum bug or to create one please?
08:35:05 <Nico> sledges: Awesome! I specifically kept these files so that I can test, if the update fixes it :3
08:35:11 <sledges> #link https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser/pull/905
08:35:26 <meegouser> sledges: Since you noted my question, where will potential new info be disclosed at? :)
08:35:48 <ddobrev> sledges: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/vpn-credentials-lost-when-switching-networks/6307/2
08:35:51 <sledges> meegouser: keep pinging us here for updates first:)
08:36:04 <meegouser> alright.
08:36:10 <ddobrev> With the clarification that switching networks isn't the only reason.
08:36:13 <fridl> sledges: i think thats not the issue. When i do journalctl -ab it says that the log has like 2 min of length, even if the phone is up much longer, when I try to interact with it in my 'testcase'. I think it has a lengt limit of 1500 lines or something? And they are filled up. Could that be? (So everything older than like 2 min is lost i think.)
08:36:18 <sledges> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/vpn-credentials-lost-when-switching-networks/6307/2
08:36:30 <ddobrev> Often it drops while staying connected to the same network.
08:36:30 <sledges> #info slow browser tabs:
08:36:32 <sledges> #link https://matrix.neko.dev/_matrix/media/r0/download/neko.dev/gvEaWkiDlNTvtUPPAbMrCKJt
08:36:48 <ddobrev> sledges: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/vpn-login-credentials-are-also-not-saved-using-pia-vpn/4064/12 too.
08:37:03 <Nico> There is a forum post btw, sledges: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/4-2-0-19-browser-tabs-page-opens-very-slowly-with-hundreds-of-tabs/7859
08:37:22 <sledges> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/4-2-0-19-browser-tabs-page-opens-very-slowly-with-hundreds-of-tabs/7859
08:37:55 <ExTechOp> SFOS has "always" had issues when networks changing, specially Android software won't properly switch over to a new network connection if eg. you walk out of wifi range
08:38:28 <sledges> yet the latter has improved as peperjohnny backs up
08:38:39 <flypig> Nico, did you create those tabs after the update, or were they carried over?
08:38:42 <fridl> sledges: however, if it is not only me seeing that its already good to know. Wanted to help debugging https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/4-2-0-19-4-1-0-24-xperia-10ii-losing-cellular-network-after-call/7106 with continuation in Ticket #38217 for logs. But as they are cropped i can't get meaningful systemd-journal. Thanks for the Info.
08:38:46 <Nico> At least so far 4.2 in general seems to be an improvement with only slight UX annoyances, that might be fixed in the future
08:38:52 <Nico> flypig: carried over
08:39:02 <Nico> Even I don't open 500 tabs in a day
08:39:20 <flypig> Haha :)
08:39:20 <Nico> (On my phone at least)
08:39:25 <flypig> And did you have private tabs open too?
08:39:27 <meegouser> Since CEO Sami noted that Jolla has been profitable, are all requested Jolla Tablet refunds paid out by now?
08:39:57 <Nico> flypig: No, not at the time and I think I didn't even open a private tab at all before noticing it
08:40:38 <flypig> Nico, okay, thanks for clarifying. I ask because the image snapshot of the pages has changed size.
08:41:02 <flypig> I don't know whether this affects things or not, but it's just useful to know for trying to reproduce.
08:41:07 <sledges> fridl: change your /etc/systemd/journald.conf file from volatile to persistent storage
08:41:37 <fridl> sledges: thats what I searched for. Thanks!
08:41:37 <ExTechOp> My experience is that commercial Android software (like Tiima or Easybreak) have issues with network connectivity when SFOS networks change, even if you stop/start wifi/mobile data, and/or restart the Android subsystem. Sometimes the only solution I've found is phone restart.
08:41:48 <Nico> I'll probably try to connect a profiler at some point (if I can figure out how to with the browser), if you don't figure out the issue before me :3
08:41:59 <sledges> np
08:42:05 <flypig> Nico, any info you can share will be useful. Thanks!
08:42:10 <Nico> I think especially youtube videos might make the preview slower to load
08:42:42 <sledges> i think we should start putting the foot on the brakes, any other burning [platform] issues?:)
08:42:45 <flypig> Nico, in theory I don't think that should make a difference, but I'll bear it in mind.
08:43:54 <sledges> a'ight, thanks indeed for the feedback!
08:43:56 <sledges> #topic Next meeting time and date (5 min)
08:44:02 <sledges> Proposing Thursday 30th September at 7am UTC
08:44:15 <sledges> back to odd weeks:)
08:44:33 <Nico> Well, I can't make that, but I guess I'll be there the meeting after that one ;p
08:44:39 <ddobrev> sledges: about burning, https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/release-notes-verla-4-2-0/7092/108 sounds worrisome, have you been able to find anything before the release to all users?
08:44:59 <meegouser> sledges: Any word on my question above? :D
08:45:27 <sledges> 3 weeks away, so fridl can make it:)
08:46:14 <ExTechOp> sledges The time seems workable
08:46:39 <fridl> sledges: as I expect unfortunately a short 'not possible' for my question it would be ok to have the meeting without me ;-P And still don't know if I'm back then from holidays.
08:49:14 <sledges> ddobrev: android connectivity improved, but still random and not 100% eradicated as per that post and other experiences. text prediction selection freezes (not the phone), and is being looked at, hopes for a fix still in 4.2, battery life not degraded in our testings and daily, must be user-use-case-specific
08:49:35 <ddobrev> OK, thank you.
08:50:27 <sledges> meegouser: i need to ask about that:)
08:50:41 <sledges> fridl: have good holidays weeks on end!
08:50:43 <sledges> #info Next meeting will be held on Thursday 30th September 2021 at 7:00am UTC:  2021-09-30T07Z
08:50:49 <sledges> thanks everyone:)
08:50:51 <sledges> #endmeeting