#sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 28th April 2022

Meeting started by flypig at 07:00:41 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Meeting information and agenda can be found here: (flypig, 07:00:48)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-28th-april-2022/11173 (flypig, 07:00:53)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info (flypig, 07:01:15)
    1. Otto Mäkelä, community (ExTechOp, 07:01:23)
    2. pherjung, community (pherjung, 07:01:30)
    3. David Llewellyn-Jones, sailor @ jolla (flypig, 07:02:26)
    4. Sebix, community (sebix[m], 07:03:04)
    5. Simonas Leleiva, privateer (sledges, 07:03:05)
    6. Andrew Branson, slightly in hospital (abr, 07:05:07)
    7. Frajo Haider, developer at jolla (krnlyng, 07:06:47)
    8. thigg, comunity dev, lurking (thilo[m], 07:07:25)

  2. Poll users for Sailfish OS upgrade experience (10min -- asked by direc85) (flypig, 07:07:57)
    1. <direc85> As users tend to write more about issues than successes about a Sailfish OS release in its release notes thread (Vanha Rauma is the prime example), the majority about posts tend to be negative. (flypig, 07:08:06)
    2. <direc85> This can be off-putting to cautious users, as the thread seems to be mostly about issues. (flypig, 07:08:16)
    3. <direc85> To combat this, and to help everyone get more realistic picture about a software update, I suggest that a standard poll is added to release notes to see how the update went. (flypig, 07:08:23)
    4. <direc85> It should probably separate the early access phase and the final release, so two polls could possibly be held side by side. (flypig, 07:08:32)
    5. <direc85> As an example, Manjaro Linux, which I use, has this practice. (flypig, 07:08:39)
    6. <direc85> I like to pop in and leave a vote after an update, and from my own experience, it works well for both the community and the devs. (flypig, 07:08:45)
    7. https://forum.manjaro.org/t/stable-update-2022-04-15-kernels-mesa-nvidia-budgie-pipewire-libreoffice-kde-frameworks-wine/108422 (flypig, 07:08:52)
    8. <Jolla> Thank you for this suggestion. There's plenty to agree with in what you write, and since we didn't want to delay until the meeting today, we went ahead and implemented your great idea. (flypig, 07:09:31)
    9. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/release-notes-vanha-rauma-4-4-0/10656#how-did-the-upgrade-go-61 (flypig, 07:09:37)
    10. <Jolla> The current poll shows the following results: 79% no issues; 16% small issues; 5% serious issues. It's not a direct comparison, since the wording is different, but these results aren't dissimilar to those in the Manjaro poll (88%, 5%, 7%). (flypig, 07:09:43)
    11. <Jolla> We'll continue to post a similar poll for future releases. We'd be interested to hear about your thoughts on the poll results. (flypig, 07:09:55)
    12. <Jolla> It raises also the question about whether there are other great ideas like this that would be worth considering. (flypig, 07:10:02)
    13. <sebix[m]> openSUSE Tumbleweed (Rolling Release Distro) has something very similar (flypig, 07:11:24)
    14. https://review.tumbleweed.boombatower.com/ (flypig, 07:11:29)
    15. Björn Bidar - Sailor @ Jolla (Thaodan, 07:14:05)
    16. Nico, late community member (Nico, 07:14:08)
    17. Damien Caliste, community (dcaliste, 07:14:52)

  3. Toggle-able option to add digits row in keyboards (5 min -- asked by remote) (flypig, 07:20:28)
    1. <remote> Last 3 phones are 21:9, so having digits row is convenient. (flypig, 07:20:35)
    2. <remote> 3d party solutions (not for every language) exist, manual patching (tedious, resets every update) exists. (flypig, 07:20:47)
    3. <remote> But I don't see why this can't be implemented in stock. (flypig, 07:20:56)
    4. <Jolla> Thanks for this suggestion. We've created a task on our Bugzilla related to this so we can discuss it further internally. We're considering ways to improve the keyboard right now and will add this to the mix. (flypig, 07:21:35)
    5. <Jolla> However, we don't have any immediate plans to implement it for an upcoming release. (flypig, 07:21:46)
    6. <Jolla> Would you be able to share links to the 3rd party solutions that you mention? We'd be interested generally in opinions from the community about how best to improve the keyboard. (flypig, 07:21:52)
    7. https://openrepos.net/content/adel/multi-keyboard-layouts (flypig, 07:23:19)
    8. https://github.com/ichthyosaurus/sailfish-public-patch-sources (flypig, 07:26:02)
    9. https://coderus.openrepos.net/pm2/project/widespacebar-llelectronics (flypig, 07:26:12)

  4. Bug roundup (15 mins -- asked by pherjung) (flypig, 07:29:11)
    1. <Jolla> The Community Bug Coordination team have been herding bugs beautifully this week. (flypig, 07:29:30)
    2. <Jolla> The idea here is for us to go through the bugs they've highlighted to try to get movement on them. (flypig, 07:29:50)
    3. 1. The following have been tagged as tracked or fixed: (flypig, 07:30:26)
    4. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/10916 (flypig, 07:30:31)
    5. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/1181 (flypig, 07:30:34)
    6. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/10741 (flypig, 07:30:40)
    7. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/10894 (flypig, 07:30:43)
    8. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/8944 (flypig, 07:30:45)
    9. 2. I've asked internally about the following in case they're already fixed. Depending on the result, I'll either mark them as tracked or fixed. (flypig, 07:30:52)
    10. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/8294 (flypig, 07:30:58)
    11. 3. I've posted a reply on this topic to try to get more info, and tagged the related bug report as tracked. (flypig, 07:31:04)
    12. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/10848 (flypig, 07:31:11)
    13. 4. Asked internally and Thaodan, who worked on the change, has replied to this bug: (flypig, 07:31:15)
    14. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/10930 (flypig, 07:31:20)
    15. 5. It looks like this issue here is due to lack of VoLTE. I've posted a reply, but I think there's no appropriate way to flag the bug. (flypig, 07:31:25)
    16. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/1593 (flypig, 07:31:31)
    17. 6. I've requested the OP to mark this bug as "solved". I'm not sure it makes sense to flag it as either tracked, or fixed though. What do you think? (flypig, 07:31:35)
    18. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/9149 (flypig, 07:31:42)
    19. 7. I'm not sure what the right approach is for this bug. It seems to be related to failed updates, which are notoriously hard to debug. (flypig, 07:31:47)
    20. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/10792 (flypig, 07:31:51)
    21. ACTION: flypig to request a "pending" tag be added. (flypig, 07:42:06)
    22. Bugs which have been considered, but are neither tracked nor fixed, will get a pending tag. (flypig, 07:42:24)
    23. Nico suggested to consider adding tags to categorise bugs to the forum. (flypig, 07:51:05)

  5. Status of VoLTE (10-15min -- asked by Solrac) (flypig, 07:52:04)
    1. <Solrac> There have been some concerns with the implementation of VoLTE, specially now that it is starting to become mandatory in some countries (most notably in the US). (flypig, 07:52:11)
    2. <Solrac> Unfortunately, it has already been stated that older devices will not recieve VoLTE support, which brings up another concern that I'd like to ask about as well. (flypig, 07:52:19)
    3. <Solrac> What might be the state of VoLTE at the moment? Might there be a roadmap? (flypig, 07:52:29)
    4. <Solrac> Is it planned to arrive with 4.5, or would it be an update for 4.4, or would it be a simple package update? (flypig, 07:52:36)
    5. <Solrac> And would be only implemented for officially supported devices, or will it be possible to implement it in community builds (for porting to other devices) (flypig, 07:52:43)
    6. <Jolla> Thank you for the question. This topic was last discussed in the community meeting on 9th December, so this is a good opportunity to revisit it. (flypig, 07:53:02)
    7. <Jolla> As we stated there "The initial target is to enable VoLTE for Sony Xperia 10 II and III". (flypig, 07:53:11)
    8. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-9th-december-2021/9310/5 (flypig, 07:53:17)
    9. <Jolla> On the Vanha Rauma blog post we detailed that development of the new telephony adaptation needed for VoLTE is progressing. (flypig, 07:53:23)
    10. <Jolla> There we also posted a video of the VoLTE prototype demonstrating simultaneous data and calls, which is definitely worth a look if you've not seen it already. (flypig, 07:53:30)
    11. https://blog.jolla.com/vanharauma/ (flypig, 07:53:37)
    12. https://youtu.be/c2E69IAAvzc (flypig, 07:53:39)
    13. <Jolla> However, beyond the fact that we still plan to bring VoLTE support this year, we don't have a public roadmap for it. (flypig, 07:53:43)
    14. <Jolla> Concerning community builds, this will very much depend on the specifics of the devices in question. Rest assured, as soon as we have more to say publicly, we will make it known loudly. (flypig, 07:53:50)
    15. <Nico> Will all the VoLTE stuff be open-source for people to take a stab at it to port it elsewhere? I think it would be encouraging to some if that was known, because then they could easily say they can port it to their own devices without needing to play with a black box. (flypig, 08:02:15)

  6. General discussion (20 min) (flypig, 08:05:23)
    1. Much interest for the Xperia 10 III release of Sailfish OS. (flypig, 08:27:18)

  7. Next meeting time and date (5 min) (flypig, 08:31:24)
    1. Next meeting will be held on Thursday 12th May 2022 at 07:00am UTC: 2022-05-12T0700Z (flypig, 08:32:36)

Meeting ended at 08:33:22 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. flypig to request a "pending" tag be added.

Action items, by person

  1. flypig
    1. flypig to request a "pending" tag be added.

People present (lines said)

  1. flypig (158)
  2. Nico (36)
  3. pherjung (26)
  4. thilo[m] (18)
  5. Thaodan (18)
  6. ExTechOp (8)
  7. dcaliste (6)
  8. sebix[m] (5)
  9. abr (4)
  10. sailbot (2)
  11. sleepnicely[m] (2)
  12. sledges (1)
  13. krnlyng (1)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.