#sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 1st September 2022

Meeting started by flypig at 07:00:08 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Meeting information and agenda can be found here: (flypig, 07:00:16)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-1st-september-2022/12698 (flypig, 07:00:21)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info (flypig, 07:00:42)
    1. Otto Mäkelä, community (ExTechOp, 07:00:46)
    2. Ville Nummela, sailor @ jolla (ViGe, 07:00:56)
    3. David Llewellyn-Jones, another sailor @ jolla (flypig, 07:01:06)
    4. Björ Bidar, yet another sailor @ jolla (Thaodan, 07:02:19)
    5. Raine Mäkeläinen sailor @ Jolla (rainemak, 07:02:23)
    6. Nico, noisy community (Nico, 07:02:50)
    7. sebix, community (sebix[m], 07:03:03)
    8. Andrew Branson, sailor (abr, 07:03:17)
    9. Jacek Jagosz, community (JacekJagosz[m], 07:05:49)

  2. Update: What are the upcoming planned changes for harbour validation? (10 mins -- asked by jolla) (flypig, 07:07:59)
    1. <jolla> There have been some interesting looking PRs merged into the harbour validator recently. (flypig, 07:08:04)
    2. <jolla> Does this mean we can now use more things in the Jolla Store? Will this affect Sailjail permissions too? (flypig, 07:08:11)
    3. <ViGe> The plan is simply to allow as many new APIs as possible [from 4.5.0], given the limits we have on time and resources. (flypig, 07:17:56)
    4. <ViGe> Because we lack the resources, we had to lower the bar a little bit in order to get the APIs in. (flypig, 07:19:00)
    5. <ViGe> While the new APIs will have their documentation in https://sailfishos.org/develop/docs/, you will find out that for most of the new APIS the documentation is quite empty, at least in the beginning. (flypig, 07:19:04)
    6. <ViGe> Some of the APIs are still not 100% stable, so we can't really promise that we won't make API breaking changes to them in the future. (flypig, 07:19:08)
    7. <ViGe> So far, we have in the pipeline Sailfish Secrets and Crypto, QtLocation, Sailfish Media, Sailfish Contacts, Sailfish Accounts and Sailfish Telephony. And hopefully we can add some more. (flypig, 07:19:11)
    8. <ViGe> This will affect Sailjail permissions as well - the permissions needed to use the new APIs will be allowed. (flypig, 07:19:14)
    9. Which APIs end up Harbour allow is one thing and other thing is that more APIs will appear in the https://sailfishos.org/develop/docs/ . For some APIs there may not be connection between documentation available and Harbour allowed. (rainemak, 07:20:07)

  3. Do new SFOS versions use the newest device configurations from Sony? (5 min -- asked by JacekJagosz) (flypig, 07:21:25)
    1. <JacekJagosz> While investigating this issue: (flypig, 07:21:34)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/xperia-10-iii-uses-performance-governor-for-gold-cores-where-it-probably-shouldnt/12695 (flypig, 07:21:38)
    3. <JacekJagosz> I traced it back to Sony's Lena config, where CPU cores were improperly configured. (flypig, 07:21:47)
    4. <JacekJagosz> I discussed it there, and my pull request to fix it was merged immediately: (flypig, 07:21:56)
    5. https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/device-sony-lena/pull/21 (flypig, 07:22:14)
    6. <JacekJagosz> So my question then is, will next SFOS version use this fixed config? (flypig, 07:22:18)
    7. <JacekJagosz> Does new version always use newest config (that was available during development), or is it updated only when there was something really important in there? (flypig, 07:22:25)
    8. <Jolla> Thank you for your excellent work in fixing the issue JacekJagosz. (flypig, 07:22:55)
    9. <Jolla> As can be seen on the pull request, Thaodan reviewed your changes and concluded that they needed to be pushed into the r-mr1 branch of Sony’s repositories in order fot them to be integrated with Xperia 10 III devices running Sailfish OS. (flypig, 07:23:02)
    10. <Jolla> (the branch name represent the Android Version name) (flypig, 07:23:13)
    11. <Jolla> Sony went ahead and did this on 24th August, so we’re now in a position to integrate this with Sailfish OS, which we hope to do for the next release (but we can’t guarantee it at this stage). (flypig, 07:23:21)
    12. My changes fixed Sony's CPU configuration (JacekJagosz[m], 07:27:19)
    13. dr_gogeta86 - community (dr_gogeta86, 07:29:49)
    14. <JacekJagosz[m]> [The changes] should result in lower power consumption (flypig, 07:33:16)

  4. Open PR discussion (10 min -- asked by jolla) (flypig, 07:39:23)
    1. <jolla> Any open PRs to discuss? (flypig, 07:39:28)
    2. No open PRs to discuss today. (flypig, 07:43:19)

  5. Update: Untracked bug reports (5 min -- asked by pherjung) (flypig, 07:43:21)
    1. <jolla> The Community Bug Coordination Team have done a superb job once again this fortnight. (flypig, 07:43:28)
    2. <Jolla> - 9 new bugs added to our internal database and tagged as "tracked" (flypig, 07:43:33)
    3. <Jolla> - 4 bugs marked as "fixed" (flypig, 07:43:37)
    4. <Jolla> - 1 bug moved to the "General" category. (flypig, 07:43:41)
    5. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/introducing-new-tool-bugger-the-inofficial-sfos-bug-reporting-tool/12787 (Nico, 07:44:53)

  6. General discussion (20 min) (flypig, 07:50:31)
    1. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/10iii-crashes-with-beep-when-plugged-into-docking-station/12481 I've just this morning figured out this dramatic crash happens also to a freshly booted Xperia 10III (ExTechOp, 07:50:49)
    2. : fridlmue, community (fridl, 07:53:29)
    3. The Bug Coordination Team have worked on a nice app for easy submission of bugs. (flypig, 08:12:56)
    4. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/introducing-new-tool-bugger-the-inofficial-sfos-bug-reporting-tool/12787 (flypig, 08:12:58)

  7. Next meeting time and date (5 min) (flypig, 08:14:47)
    1. <Thaodan> provided extra info on GitHub (flypig, 08:16:34)
    2. https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/device-sony-lena/pull/22 (flypig, 08:16:38)
    3. Next meeting will be held on Thursday 15th September 2022 at 07:00am UTC: 2022-09-15T0700Z (flypig, 08:16:48)

Meeting ended at 08:16:58 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)

People present (lines said)

  1. flypig (112)
  2. Nico (37)
  3. Thaodan (26)
  4. JacekJagosz[m] (20)
  5. ViGe (13)
  6. ExTechOp (11)
  7. rainemak (7)
  8. abr (7)
  9. sebix[m] (5)
  10. sailbot (3)
  11. fridl (3)
  12. dr_gogeta86 (2)
  13. Crabster (1)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.