#sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 27th October 2022

Meeting started by flypig at 07:00:12 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Meeting information and agenda can be found here: (flypig, 07:00:19)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-27th-october-2022/13252 (flypig, 07:00:23)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info (flypig, 07:00:39)
    1. Otto Mäkelä, community (ExTechOp, 07:00:49)
    2. sebix, community (sebix[m], 07:01:06)
    3. poetaster Mark, community (poetaster, 07:01:07)
    4. David Llewellyn-Jones, sailor @ jolla & meeting chair (flypig, 07:01:21)
    5. Jacek Jagosz, community (JacekJagosz[m], 07:02:01)
    6. Björn Bidar, Sailor @ Jolla (Thaodan, 07:02:47)
    7. Simonas Leleiva -- privateer for Jolla (sledges, 07:03:29)
    8. Ville Nummela, sailor @ Jolla (ViGe, 07:05:58)

  2. What is the progress on camera fixes on newer devices? (10 mins -- asked by JacekJagosz) (flypig, 07:06:26)
    1. <JacekJagosz> Currently there are 2 issues with cameras on SFOS. (flypig, 07:06:33)
    2. <JacekJagosz> 1st is "Camera App crashes when trying to record a video" which affected not just X10 III, but also Volla 22/GS5. (flypig, 07:06:38)
    3. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/4-4-0-64-xperia-10-iii-camera-app-crashes-when-trying-to-record-a-video/12118/ (flypig, 07:06:42)
    4. <JacekJagosz> It got fixed by extending firejail whitelist and limiting maximum resolution. (flypig, 07:06:47)
    5. https://github.com/HelloVolla/droid-config-halium-mimameid/commit/79cc6086200fe8bc5da54797c0d7e5c61aaa060e (flypig, 07:06:52)
    6. https://github.com/HelloVolla/droid-config-halium-mimameid/commit/99d333a9be49e3c897125fb95ab95018dd97e0b6 (flypig, 07:06:55)
    7. <JacekJagosz> Could the solution be the same on the 10 III, and not a problem with Sony's adaptation? (flypig, 07:07:02)
    8. https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/bug_tracker/issues/761 (flypig, 07:07:08)
    9. <JacekJagosz> Another issue is that 2 cameras on 10 III are inaccessible, because of no Camera2API support on SFOS. I know you wanted someone from community to work on it, but so far no one has stepped up. (flypig, 07:07:12)
    10. <JacekJagosz> Has there been any progress on any of those? Because from a user's perspective there is none, and not working camera is not great in a new mobile phone. (flypig, 07:07:21)
    11. <Jolla> First, for video recording, we appreciate the input, and for highlighting that it might be connected to the similar issue on the Volla. (flypig, 07:07:49)
    12. <Jolla> We currently believe that on the Xperia 10 III it's an issue with the upstream adaptation. (flypig, 07:07:57)
    13. <Jolla> However, we have an internal issue about it and are liaising with Sony, and if there's any progress we'll aim to share it on the forum. (flypig, 07:08:02)
    14. <Jolla> Second, concerning the Camera2 API. We realise full support for all three cameras is important for users, but as you point out, there's not yet been any publicly visible progress. (flypig, 07:08:11)
    15. <Jolla> In the longer term this might make a good Sailmates project. (flypig, 07:08:22)
    16. <Jolla> In the shorter term, we were hoping for someone from the community to take the initiative, even just to create a minimal non-working PR to crystalise effort. We'd welcome thoughts on this. (flypig, 07:08:26)

  3. state of harbour for app submitters (10 mins -- asked by thigg) (flypig, 07:20:21)
    1. <thigg> - Does jolla track metrics about the duration for approval/feedback in harbour? (flypig, 07:20:27)
    2. <thigg> - It seems sometimes approval takes multiple weeks, are there plans to change this? (flypig, 07:20:35)
    3. <thigg> - Is there any priority on / are there plans for the dashboard for app submitters in harbour? (e.g. history of app downloads). (flypig, 07:20:40)
    4. <thigg> - What would be the preferred way for third party tools to interact with harbour (e.g. do statistics ourselfs). They would need to authenticate. Is there an easy way for scripts to do that? (flypig, 07:20:47)
    5. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/harbour-dashboard-stats-data-gatherer/12520 (flypig, 07:20:58)
    6. <Jolla> There are several parts to your question; I'll try to answer them all. (flypig, 07:21:09)
    7. <Jolla> 1. We don't routinely collect app review statistics, but I did a quick check and over the last two months the average (mean) approval time for apps submitted to harbour was under four days. (flypig, 07:21:15)
    8. <Jolla> 2. Typically we would expect app review to be handled within 1 week. If you've not received feedback after a week, please send me (flypig) a direct message via the forum and I will follow it up for you. (flypig, 07:21:26)
    9. <Jolla> 3. There have unfortunately been a few apps which have taken longer than this. Your Flood to Java app was one of these, and for this we apologise. (flypig, 07:21:38)
    10. <Jolla> This usually happens because of additional checks needed to review the app, or due to special requests made by the developer. (flypig, 07:21:46)
    11. <Jolla> 4. Apps are reviewed in the order they're submitted, unless there's some specific reason why this can't be done (e.g. a special request from the developer). (flypig, 07:21:54)
    12. <Jolla> 5. There are no current plans to make the harbour API available for wider use, but we note your request for one and will keep it in mind! (flypig, 07:22:03)
    13. Anton Thomasson - very late, peeking in from hackathon at work (attah_pine, 07:24:53)
    14. fridlmue - community. Also very late... (fridl, 07:31:44)

  4. Can libudev be allowed to be linked against for harbour apps? (10 mins -- asked by @poetaster) (flypig, 07:32:44)
    1. <poetaster> In the main, to support building the Godot game dev env. (flypig, 07:32:51)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/harbour-is-libudev-really-need-to-be-depricated-in-harbour/13304 (flypig, 07:32:57)
    3. https://github.com/sailfishos/sdk-harbour-rpmvalidator/issues/168 (flypig, 07:33:00)
    4. <poetaster> I'm not sure how often it's used since the peripherals for cellphones are not that many :) Nevertheless, for game development and considering future, hopefully, tablets, conceivable for game controller support. (flypig, 07:33:07)
    5. <poetaster> And Godot is fun. (flypig, 07:33:18)
    6. <Jolla> Thanks for your question poetaster, as well as for both your and sashikknox’s work on the Godot Engine. We love a bit of Flappy Bird (current best L3 51) and would love to see more native Sailfish OS games. (flypig, 07:33:29)
    7. <Jolla> We’ve been considering allowing libudev linking for some time, but it requires more than just a new line in allowed_libraries.conf. (flypig, 07:33:43)
    8. <Jolla> Controller access will need to be added to either an existing permission or a new permission. (flypig, 07:33:50)
    9. <Jolla> At this point, we can’t guarantee that libudev can be supported, but we’d welcome input on its potential uses, and how best to handle permissions for it. (flypig, 07:33:58)
    10. https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_JoystickOpen (Thaodan, 07:44:10)
    11. SDL info (flypig, 07:47:42)
    12. https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_JoystickOpen (flypig, 07:47:44)
    13. Joystick drivers (flypig, 07:47:58)
    14. hhttps://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/blob/a6018ae57fb26140777f43c13a6599d710183c86/src/joystick/SDL_joystick.c#L524 (flypig, 07:48:08)
    15. https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/ is upstream (Thaodan, 07:48:12)
    16. <poetaster> I can't overstate the value of godot for attracting another strata of developers. (flypig, 07:49:16)

  5. Ownership and secret engineering project status (10 mins -- asked by attah) (flypig, 07:49:24)
    1. <attah> How are things going? Should we be worried? Updates on ownership were estimated for summer i seem to recall, so i can't help to think it didn't go exactly according to plan. (flypig, 07:49:30)
    2. <attah> On the upside, development activity on the open parts seems to have picked up speed again, so presumably the secret engineering project has concluded. Is there anything you can share about that? (flypig, 07:49:40)
    3. <Jolla> It is true indeed that the ownership restructuring in regards the Russian-owned Jolla shares has taken longer than estimated previously but it is under execution and will be fully completed by the end of the year. (flypig, 07:49:57)
    4. <Jolla> As a result, Jolla will have 0% Russian ownership. For clarity, business to Russia was already stopped in 2021. (flypig, 07:50:06)

  6. Open PR discussion (5 mins -- asked by jolla) (flypig, 08:04:59)
    1. <jolla> Any open PRs to discuss? (flypig, 08:05:02)

  7. Untracked bug reports (5 min -- asked by pherjung) (flypig, 08:08:33)
    1. <pherjung> The Community Bug Coordination Team have done a superb job once again this fortnight. (flypig, 08:08:40)
    2. <Jolla> 7 high quality bug reports now recorded internally and tagged as "tracked". (flypig, 08:08:44)
    3. <Jolla> 1 bug reports tagged as "fixed". (flypig, 08:08:49)
    4. <Jolla> 2 marked as duplicates and closed. (flypig, 08:08:53)
    5. <Jolla> 1 bug (12885) left unchanged in case there’s any more discussion on it. (flypig, 08:09:03)

  8. General discussion (15 min) (flypig, 08:11:27)
    1. https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/7 (Thaodan, 08:13:43)
    2. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/110 (Thaodan, 08:13:54)
    3. (re Sailjail joypad access) <Thaodan> "just allowing the use of /dev/input/js* might be a good workaround for now." (flypig, 08:15:28)
    4. the Wayland protocol mentioned earlier the might exist, is wip right now: (Thaodan, 08:17:35)
    5. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/110 (Thaodan, 08:17:46)
    6. <Thaodan> "Awesome-SailfishOS is a worthwhile read" (flypig, 08:28:17)
    7. https://github.com/sailfishos-community (flypig, 08:28:24)
    8. https://github.com/sailfishos-community/awesome-sailfishos (Thaodan, 08:28:35)
    9. https://github.com/sailfishos-community/equivalentsinsailfish (Thaodan, 08:28:45)

  9. Next meeting time and date (5 min) (flypig, 08:29:57)
    1. Next meeting will be held on Thursday 10th November 2022 at 08:00am UTC: 2022-11-10T0800Z (flypig, 08:31:34)

Meeting ended at 08:31:51 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)

People present (lines said)

  1. flypig (136)
  2. Thaodan (58)
  3. poetaster (27)
  4. attah_pine (13)
  5. JacekJagosz[m] (8)
  6. ViGe (6)
  7. pvuorela (6)
  8. thilo[m] (5)
  9. ExTechOp (3)
  10. sailbot (2)
  11. fridl (2)
  12. sebix[m] (1)
  13. sledges (1)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.