08:01:15 <flypig> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 8th December 2022
08:01:15 <sailbot> Meeting started Thu Dec  8 08:01:15 2022 UTC. The chair is flypig. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
08:01:15 <sailbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:01:25 <flypig> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here:
08:01:32 <flypig> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-8th-december-2022/13611
08:01:39 <flypig> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order.
08:01:44 <flypig> Please respect the timings, don't be reckless with other people's hearts, don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. And wear sunscreen.
08:01:49 <flypig> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info
08:02:00 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones, Sailor @ Jolla and chairperson
08:02:05 <Thaodan> #info Björn Bidar, sailor @ Jolla.
08:02:07 <ExTechOp> Good morning, everyone!
08:02:16 <flypig> Good morning ExTechOp.
08:02:21 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä, community
08:04:16 <ExTechOp> (oh dear, is this all?)
08:04:45 <ViGe> #info Ville Nummela, sailor@Jolla
08:05:03 <flypig> It is surprisingly quiet. No one else from the community today?
08:05:50 <flypig> Maybe everyone is just being shy? If you'd like to announce yourself later during the meeting, please feel free.
08:06:39 <flypig> For info, this will likely be the last meeting of the year. With a final result of 3-1 to the sailors.
08:06:54 <flypig> Let's continue to our first topic.
08:06:55 <flypig> #topic Log collection continued (and Bugger! enhancements) (10 mins -- asked by nephros)
08:07:03 <flypig> #info <nephros> The last meeting raised the point of possibly enhancing the Bugger! tool to help in collecting logs.
08:07:19 <flypig> #info <nephros> Specifically: "<thilo[m]>: If someone could contribute a poc to bugger, i think that would help".
08:07:24 <flypig> #link https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2022/sailfishos-meeting.2022-11-24-08.01.html
08:07:30 <flypig> #info <nephros> The Bugger! development Team ;) has listened and the latest beta introduces a PoC of a "plug-in" system based on systemd units.
08:07:38 <flypig> #info <nephros> Rudimentary documentation is available and builds of the 0.10.x beta are available at the Chum Testing repo.
08:07:42 <flypig> #link https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/bugger/blob/logcollect/README_logcollect.md
08:07:45 <flypig> #link https://build.merproject.org/package/show/sailfishos:chum:testing/bugger
08:07:51 <flypig> #info <nephros> This meeting topic is more a FYI and a request for feedback from anyone interested, and an invitation to improve that topic at the Bugger development repo.
08:07:57 <flypig> #link https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/bugger/
08:08:30 <flypig> #info Some screenshots of the log gathering pages:
08:08:33 <flypig> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-8th-december-2022/13611/5
08:08:59 <flypig> Unfortunately nephros is probably unable to make it, but here's our prepared answer and then we can discuss further.
08:09:02 <flypig> #info <Jolla> We had a play around with your PoC and discussed it internally and were impressed. There were a few points raised during the discussion we wanted to share.
08:09:10 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 1. It would be good if the logs could be checked before being uploaded, or uploaded in a non-public way, to avoid private data being shared accidentally.
08:09:18 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 2. It would be good to have the logs uploaded in a way that allows users to share it only with Jolla, since some users feel more comfortable with that.
08:09:25 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 3. Can the app be made available from the Jolla Store?
08:09:30 <flypig> #info <Jolla> Overall, we felt it looks very promising.
08:09:45 <flypig> That's the prepared answer. Did anyone get a chance to try out the app?
08:10:07 <pherjung[m]> #info pherjung, community
08:10:16 <pherjung[m]> Sorry I'm a bit late
08:10:29 <flypig> No problem pherjung[m], it's good to have you here.
08:12:03 <Thaodan> Personally I think that this isn't a good candicate as a store app, sure it might help gather sum up a bug report even in the sandbox but it sounds like it might be best as a system app with more permisions.
08:13:44 <flypig> Are there other thoughts on that? Should this be built in to the OS, and if it were, could we still support nephros's plugin system?
08:16:11 <Thaodan> I think possibly, it could be a good way to collect logs for different systems inside Sailfish OS.
08:17:34 <flypig> Well, until it's integrated into the OS, I think Bugger may become the new standard for log collection. I have to say, I thought the app worked really well, my main concern was about sharing private data.
08:17:43 <flypig> Does anyone know of a pastebin-like service that supports passwords, say?
08:18:21 <Thaodan> Most are annoymous, the app could provide a feature to sanitize logs.
08:19:30 <flypig> Could you elaborate Thaodan? I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable if the sanitisation was automated (i.e. I'd want to check the logs by hand).
08:19:39 <flypig> But open to being convinced :)
08:20:46 <Thaodan> There are several apps that sanitize there logs by removing data such as ip addresses or login names. I think pastebin services are just not a replacement for email.
08:21:09 <Thaodan> If we enable emails inside the foru, you could report a sailfish os bug from the bugger app.
08:21:18 <ViGe> I agreen with flypig. Any automated sanitizer could easily miss logs added by some random app, which is e.g. forwarding messages to watch and logging the messages while at it. I wouldn't want my messages ending up in such logs.
08:22:05 <Thaodan> Not saying it is perfect, just saying that is more about the medium where logs end up in and what kind of logs the user posts.
08:22:59 <flypig> I just tried Paste.ee which is interesting: it encrypts the paste and you have to provide the "decryption" key. Here's an example:
08:23:07 <flypig> Encrypted: https://paste.ee/p/h7lNm
08:23:08 <ViGe> Yeah, I'm also not saying that such sanitization feature would be useless. Just that one shouldn't rely only on it.
08:23:13 <flypig> Unencrypted: https://paste.ee/p/h7lNm#tW2_iCb8wUEkRFXZQDaFYYrIw4YNQRvS
08:23:37 <Thaodan> Why a paste service? That doesn't sound like a good idea for everything..
08:24:55 <pherjung[m]> An option could be added in Bugger to give the user the choice to send the logs over mail or over a pastebin service
08:25:14 <flypig> I'd say a paste service is an easy way to share the data: large amounts of data, short URL, can be time-limited etc.
08:25:28 <flypig> (I'm not saying it's the best way, just highlighting its benefits)
08:26:12 <Thaodan> I think sending an email to the Sailfish OS forum sounds like a very good idea.
08:26:26 <flypig> pherjung[m], that would be a nice addition. It would even be a convenient way to check logs, if I could send them to myself first.
08:26:29 <Thaodan> It would easy up the bug reporting porces greatly.
08:26:44 <Thaodan> *process
08:27:26 <flypig> I think currently Bugger! uses the forum API to post the report. Correct me if I'm mistaken pherjung[m]?
08:29:44 <flypig> We should move on to the next topic, unless anyone has anything else they'd like to add?
08:30:01 <pherjung[m]> I created an issue https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/bugger/issues/29
08:30:25 <flypig> Very nice, thank you pherjung[m]. That's worth adding to the minutes.
08:30:39 <pherjung[m]> flypig: not sure it uses the API
08:30:49 <flypig> #info pherjung[m] created a ticket to add sending of logs by email.
08:30:52 <flypig> #link https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/bugger/issues/29
08:31:25 <flypig> pherjung[m], oh, that's my mistake then. I should have checked the code.
08:31:29 <dcaliste> #info Damien Caliste, community
08:31:37 <dcaliste> Sorry for the late coming.
08:31:51 <flypig> Thanks for joining us dcaliste, glad you could.
08:32:11 <flypig> Let's move on to the next topic.
08:32:24 <flypig> #topic Xperia 10 iii Camera API progress. (5 mins. -- asked by nerd7473)
08:32:32 <flypig> #info <nerd7473 (Matrix)> I am curious what the timeline looks like for enabling the other cameras and the color filters within the camera app.
08:32:57 <flypig> A short, pithy question. Here's our (also hopefully short and pithy) prepared answer.
08:32:59 <flypig> #info <Jolla> We've started working on it, but it’s still at an early stage, so there are no public PRs or commits just yet.
08:33:04 <flypig> #info <Jolla> We plan to make public PRs that others can contribute to, with the hope that this can be done in the new year, but as always, we can't give any guaranteed timelines at this stage.
08:33:32 <flypig> Do you have any comments you'd like to add nerd7473[m]
08:33:36 <flypig> ?
08:34:07 <dcaliste> A noob question: does AOSP on 10ii provides the new Camera2 API also ?
08:35:16 <Thaodan> dcaliste:  yes
08:35:39 <Thaodan> Camera2 Api is present since ca. Android 8.
08:36:02 <dcaliste> Great, so the new code should work there also. What is the repo to look over to ? mediadroid ?
08:36:03 <flypig> Android 5.0 (API level 21) and higher apparently.
08:36:17 <Thaodan> THe API just works much different to AP1 which is why it takes so long.
08:36:53 <Thaodan> flypig: At least for Sony Aosp it is Android 8 since that depends on how good the camera hal below is.
08:37:29 <flypig> Thanks Thaodan.
08:37:45 <flypig> dcaliste, apparently yes, droidmedia.
08:37:46 <flypig> https://github.com/sailfishos/droidmedia/blob/master/droidmediacamera.h
08:38:06 <Thaodan> droidmedia and gst-droid
08:39:39 <flypig> Unfortunately it seems nerd7473[m] wasn't able to join today. Shall we move on?
08:40:54 <flypig> We have bug reports, pull requests and general discussion to go, so let's continue.
08:40:57 <flypig> #topic Untracked bug reports (5 mins -- asked by pherjung)
08:41:08 <flypig> This is our usual summary.
08:41:09 <flypig> #info <Jolla> Thank you once again to the Community Bug Coordination Team. Here's a summary of what changed as a result of your efforts:
08:41:15 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 5 high quality bug reports recorded internally and tagged as "tracked";
08:41:18 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 2 feature requests recorded internally and tagged as "tracked";
08:41:22 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 1 bug tagged as "tracked" with a fix in the pipeline;
08:41:25 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 5 bug report marked as "pending" more info;
08:41:30 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 1 bug report tagged as "fixed";
08:41:35 <flypig> #info <Jolla> 1 closed as being by design rather than bug.
08:41:48 <flypig> Thanks for your and the team's efforts again pherjung[m].
08:43:26 <Zhiz0id> Hey, hello!
08:43:57 <Zhiz0id> How long it takes to test and approve an app in harbour?
08:44:44 <pherjung[m]> There a lot of bugs report which only need to be tagged correctly. How should we do for the next meeting? How many should we provide?
08:45:15 <pherjung[m]> *There are
08:45:26 <flypig> pherjung[m], perhaps you could provide me with a separate list (whenever it's convenient for you) and I can look at that separately?
08:45:54 <flypig> Zhiz0id, I saw you asked a question in matrix, but I didn't see it appear on IRC. Was that just me, did others receive it?
08:46:03 <pherjung[m]> What I already do, but what is the maximum I could provide?
08:47:05 <flypig> pherjung[m], it helps me a lot if you can stick to the usual limit (~10) for the meetings, otherwise I get overwhelmed. But if you provide me with a separate "just needs tags" list I can do that without the meeting deadline to worry about.
08:47:16 <flypig> If that makes sense?
08:47:31 <Zhiz0id> flypig: no idea, but I sent my Q to irc only (sorry for a wrong channel, asked on #sailfishos also)
08:47:36 <pherjung[m]> Great
08:48:10 <flypig> No worries Zhiz0id. For the sake of the minutes and/or others, would you mind repeating your query please?
08:49:05 <Zhiz0id> flypig: my Q not related to your meeting, just coincidence and wrong timing, sorry again :)
08:49:23 <flypig> Ah, I see. Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding Zhiz0id.
08:49:48 <flypig> Okay, let's move on to the next topic then.
08:49:56 <flypig> Thanks again pherjung[m].
08:49:57 <flypig> #topic Open PR discussion (10 mins -- asked by jolla)
08:50:10 <flypig> #info <jolla> Any open PRs to discuss?
08:50:33 <flypig> We didn't have any submitted in advance, but please feel free to raise any now.
08:54:25 <dcaliste> I don't know if nephros is still interested in pushing this one : https://github.com/sailfishos/buteo-sync-plugin-carddav/pull/2 ?
08:55:07 <flypig> That does look like a very small change.
08:55:49 <flypig> Can you think of any downsides to it dcaliste?
08:56:18 <flypig> (or anyone else)
08:56:37 <dcaliste> Not really, but I'm not very accustomed to CardDAV and how contactsd is storing additional fields.
08:57:31 <flypig> If I get the chance I'll test it out. Thanks for raising it dcaliste.
08:58:11 <flypig> I was also wondering if anyone knows the status of this PR?
08:58:12 <flypig> #link https://github.com/sailfishos/util-linux/pull/2
08:58:19 <flypig> Which relates to this feature request:
08:58:22 <flypig> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/install-and-use-systemds-fstrim-timer/7634
08:59:25 <Thaodan> I haven't looked into
08:59:46 <Thaodan> it is hard to interact with that particular person
08:59:54 <flypig> Sorry, the actual relevant PR is now this one it seems:
08:59:56 <flypig> #link https://github.com/sailfishos/util-linux/pull/3
09:00:57 <flypig> Okay, thanks Thaodan.
09:00:57 <flypig> It might be easiest to merge it in and tidy things up in a commit on top.
09:02:03 <flypig> Alright, let's move to general discussion.
09:02:17 <flypig> #topic General discussion (10 min)
09:05:33 <ExTechOp> Do we have any ideas at this time on when the next SFOS release will be?
09:06:39 <flypig> That's a very good question ExTechOp.
09:07:00 <flypig> I can tell you that there's been no official timeline announced.
09:09:27 <dcaliste> ExTechOp, from an external point of view, I still didn't see any 'upgrade-4.5' branches in the repo, which is a good indication that the project has been branched to create a stable release from the on going development.
09:10:36 <flypig> dcaliste, is that something that you'd be likely to highlight in your repository roundup, when you see it?
09:10:49 <dcaliste> Yes, sure ;)
09:11:30 <flypig> I'm not saying you necessarily should, just asking!
09:11:57 <dcaliste> Well, sometime I can miss it also…
09:12:38 <flypig> Yes, I guess github isn't overt about new branches, you have to look for them.
09:13:46 <flypig> Okay, we hit time on General Discussion. Shall we wrap up?
09:13:53 <dcaliste> Exactly, in the "repo" page, the repository is marked as updated within the last XX hours / days, but when you look at the "insight" tab for this repo, there is nothing for that period. So you should look at the "branch" tab to actually look for some activity there.
09:15:11 <flypig> GitHub can be a bit of a maze. Thanks for the tip dcaliste, worth adding to the minutes I think.
09:15:49 <flypig> #info dcaliste's advice when looking for fresh branches:
09:15:56 <flypig> #info <dcaliste> in the "repo" page, the repository is marked as updated within the last XX hours / days, but when you look at the "insight" tab for this repo, there is nothing for that period. So you should look at the "branch" tab to actually look for some activity there.
09:17:21 <flypig> Okay, let's move on.
09:17:28 <flypig> #topic Next meeting time and date (5 min)
09:17:33 <flypig> Proposing Wednesday 11th January at 08:00am UTC
09:18:04 <flypig> That's rather a big gap, but Christmas breaks hit the times in between.
09:18:38 <flypig> Any objections?
09:18:42 <ExTechOp> Wednesday instead of Thursday from now on?
09:18:49 <ExTechOp> But this works for me.
09:19:03 <flypig> Ah, that's an error on my part. It's supposed to be Thursday.
09:19:38 <flypig> Proposing Thursday 12th January at 08:00am UTC
09:19:59 <flypig> I must have been tired when I calculated that date :(
09:20:01 <ExTechOp> Thursday 2023-01-12, still works 4 me.
09:20:07 <dcaliste> Good for me.
09:20:19 <flypig> Okay, that's great :) Let's go with that then.
09:20:23 <flypig> #info Next meeting will be held on Thursday 12th January 2023 at 08:00am UTC: 2023-01-11T0800Z
09:20:44 <flypig> That's it for today. I hope everyone has a wonderful break over Christmas!
09:20:57 <ExTechOp> Thanks everyone, see you next year!
09:21:28 <Thaodan> flypig: the topic didn't change
09:21:42 <flypig> #endmeeting