07:00:02 <ViGe> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 27th April 2023
07:00:02 <sailbot> Meeting started Thu Apr 27 07:00:02 2023 UTC. The chair is ViGe. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
07:00:02 <sailbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
07:00:06 <ViGe> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here:
07:00:09 <ViGe> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-27th-april-2023/15398
07:00:14 <ViGe> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order.
07:00:19 <ViGe> We only have one question, so there is no rush, but let's still try to respect the timings so we can get to lunch in time.
07:00:25 <ViGe> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info
07:00:43 <ViGe> #info Ville Nummela, sailor@Jolla, chairperson today
07:00:55 <Thaodan> #info Björn Bidar, Sailor @ Jolla
07:01:54 <rainemak> #info Raine Mäkeläinen, Sailor @ Jolla
07:02:33 <sledges> #info Simonas Leleiva, privateer for Jolla
07:03:11 <jpwalden> #info JP Walden, Sailor @ Jolla
07:04:17 <thilo[m]> #info thigg - community
07:04:43 <ViGe> I was just thinking that we are having a sailor meeting instead of community meeting :)
07:04:56 <thilo[m]> Unfortunatley only here for 20 minutes
07:05:25 <Nico> #info Nico, community
07:05:31 <pherjung[m]> #info pherjung, community
07:05:34 <thilo[m]> Ha! Not alone
07:05:37 <ViGe> #topic nfc support on android (10 min -- asked by thigg)
07:05:45 <Nico> Smh, I was hoping to just lurk since I am busy on the side :p
07:05:48 <ViGe> #info <thigg> Jolla stated earlier that nfc support for android apps is possible but not planned to be implemented yet.
07:05:51 <ViGe> #info <thigg> Is this still the case?
07:05:54 <ViGe> #info <thigg> If not: is nfc easier to do than bluetooth for android?
07:05:57 <ViGe> #info <thigg> I imagine that bluetooth may cause problems if the latency goes up too high, but this might not really be a problem for nfc.
07:06:00 <ViGe> #info <thigg> Thus maybe simpler solutions are doable?
07:06:03 <ViGe> #info <thigg> Would it be possible to e.g.
07:06:05 <ViGe> #info <thigg> Proxy the nfc data stream into a fake nfc device on android?
07:06:12 <ViGe> And the answer:
07:06:15 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> NFC support is in our roadmap, but currently we do not have any schedule to release.
07:06:23 <ViGe> That was all of it
07:06:51 <thilo[m]> Okay, no specific ideas about how this could be done and if it is easier than bluetooth?
07:07:24 <thilo[m]> Just for context: just been in paris and been annoyed that i couldnt use my phone to buy tickets
07:07:38 <ViGe> sorry, there aren't any additional details to share
07:08:22 <thilo[m]> Hm sad. Thus also no pointers for the community if we want to experiment a bit...
07:08:24 <Thaodan> I'm not an NFC guy but bluetooth is connection based the device is connected to one source at a time until disconnect. NFC uses short cycles to exchange data e.g. when the token comes in range of the sensor.
07:08:43 <Thaodan> This alone makes it easier I assume.
07:08:59 <thilo[m]> Thaodan: Yes, thats what i thought might make it easier
07:09:01 <thilo[m]> Yes
07:10:58 <thilo[m]> However thanks for the answer. I am sure you'll share things when you got something to share
07:11:42 <thilo[m]> I would like to play around with this, but i honestly dont think that would make it through my priorities ;)
07:12:26 <flypig> thilo[m], out of interest were there other options in Paris? Or are the only options NFC and paper ticket?
07:12:56 <thilo[m]> Nfc, a plastic card and paper ticket, and paper tickets are about to be removed
07:13:14 <thilo[m]> And they are more expensive
07:13:24 <Thaodan> It's the same in finland.
07:13:29 <thilo[m]> The nfc card was not so easy to get
07:13:34 <Thaodan> e.g. Tampere
07:13:44 <Thaodan> but you can pay with nfc credit cards.
07:14:19 <Nico> I switched to nfc cards, because I need to bring an ID with my ticket anyway, so it makes more sense to put my card next to my id instead of bringing my phone with possibly an empty battery :D
07:14:25 <thilo[m]> Thaodan: Didnt see this planned for paris
07:14:31 <Nico> (But I also have a monthly subscription for Germany)
07:14:55 <Thaodan> thilo[m]: I hope for you, it makes everything easier for tourists..
07:15:10 <thilo[m]> Yeah, its certanly workable on a daily basis. For short trips it would be very convenient just to use the phone
07:15:23 <piggz[m]> #info piggz - community
07:15:33 <ViGe> Time to move on
07:15:40 <ViGe> #topic Open PR discussion (5 mins -- asked by jolla)
07:15:43 <ViGe> ##info <jolla> Any open PRs to discuss?
07:15:47 <thilo[m]> Yes, thanks
07:15:53 <thilo[m]> I also need to go, bye
07:15:53 <ViGe> #info <jolla> Any open PRs to discuss?
07:16:01 <ViGe> thilo[m]: bye!
07:17:38 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones - community and desynchronised
07:19:23 <ViGe> Clearly there are no open PRs
07:20:06 <ViGe> #topic Untracked bug reports (5 min -- asked by pherjung)
07:20:08 <ViGe> #info <pherjung> Untracked bug reports... (see the forum)
07:20:11 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> Thank you again for all of your work in checking and collating bug reports.
07:20:14 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> As a result, we now have:
07:20:17 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> - 8 bug reports now recorded internally and tagged as "tracked".
07:20:20 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> - 2 bug reports moved to feature request category
07:20:38 <pherjung[m]> \o/
07:21:20 <flypig> Great work all round :D
07:22:37 <flypig> pherjung[m], I'm curious to know how long your internal untracked bug list is. Is it approaching zero?
07:22:52 <pherjung[m]> As soon as I get more time (I'm a bit rushed at work right now), I need to find a process to automate the closing of various superficial bug reports.
07:23:10 <pherjung[m]> flypig: Well, not really…
07:23:16 <flypig> :D
07:23:19 <pherjung[m]> https://tree.taiga.io/project/thigg-sfos-bug-mod/kanban
07:24:00 <ViGe> :-o
07:24:22 <ViGe> really neat though
07:24:26 <pherjung[m]> With the aim of closing useless/fixed bug reports, the main idea is to write an automatic comment and close automatically if no one responds.
07:24:48 <ViGe> that would be great
07:25:07 <ViGe> #topic General discussion (20 min)
07:25:08 <pherjung[m]> It started with ~ 900 bug reports
07:25:14 <flypig> That kanban  really highlights the effort that goes in to the process. Very impressive.
07:25:35 <ViGe> we can continue discussing the bug process in general discussion as well :)
07:25:52 <flypig> In a couple of weeks I'll be doing a presentation to my work colleagues about Sailfish OS. Any suggestions for topics to cover?
07:26:16 <pherjung[m]> how easily you can hack it ! Like Patchmanager, etc.
07:26:34 <dcaliste> What are the topics they are interested in ?
07:26:35 <piggz> thought id mention that qt5.15 and kf5 is making great progress, and there is a large amount of kf5 libs already packaged, see https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/qt5/blob/main/packages.kf5 :)
07:26:37 <pherjung[m]> The amazing work and effort brought by Rinigus and Piggz with the upgraded QT version
07:26:53 <piggz> pherjung[m]: :)
07:28:15 <flypig> I'll definitely cover "hacking" it (that will suit the audience nicely). Thanks for the suggestion!
07:28:51 <flypig> What's your end-goal piggz? A replacement set of packages that work with Silica?
07:28:59 <ViGe> I'm quite tempted to try angelfish at some point, so far I haven't found the time to install it yet
07:30:50 <piggz> flypig: i think currently we see it as an alternative set of APIs, no planned silica integration, but grrowing the choice for devs and users to build and run current plasma mobile apps, and giving another option to devs who want to develop cross platform/distro
07:31:19 <piggz> ideally, a keen contributor would write a style plugin that looked kinda silica-ish ... but only on the look level
07:31:33 <piggz> maybe later, jolla could build something against them?
07:32:22 <flypig> Thanks! Great stuff. Are there any plasma apps to try out yet? Or is there still work to be done before then?
07:32:50 <piggz> yes, angelfish and ktrip are working
07:33:16 <piggz> more will come as more of the libs are packaged .... cough .... if anyone else wants to contribute ;)
07:33:29 <flypig> Ah, yes, thanks; ViGe, I hadn't appreciated the relation.
07:33:50 <flypig> https://github.com/sailfish-os-apps/angelfish
07:33:58 <flypig> This one^^?
07:34:05 <dcaliste> piggz, when I find time I would like to try to compile silica on top of Qt5.15 and see if Jolla would be interested to provide a silica-qt5.15 package in parallel to the standard system one.
07:34:33 <ViGe> flypig: no! I was talking about the browser... :-D
07:35:10 <flypig> Oops, sorry. But this one is correct? https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/ktrip
07:35:21 <flypig> https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/angelfish
07:38:29 <flypig> It would be interesting to know how easy/hard it is to make that transition to 5.15 dcaliste.
07:39:32 <Thaodan> Is 5.15-kde btw. KDE kinda ha a Qt 5.15 lts
07:39:52 <dcaliste> Indeed, I'm eager to test. I need to setup my SDK with the work of piggz and rinigus.
07:39:56 <rinigus> Thaodan: yes, we pull it from KDE repos
07:41:08 <rinigus> except qtwebengine - that one is direct as kde doesn't provide it. although Qt is releasing webengine more frequently
07:41:19 <flypig> My train is landing. Thanks for an informative meeting as always ViGe and all!
07:41:43 <ViGe> flypig: cheers!
07:42:11 <dcaliste> Enjoy your day flypig.
07:43:44 <rinigus> flypig: as for end goal with this qt effort - its not defined yet. :) have to discuss it in community and decide what do we want from it
07:44:48 <ViGe> Time to start wrapping up
07:45:02 <ViGe> #topic Next meeting time and date (5 min)
07:45:08 <ViGe> Proposing Thursday 11th May at 07:00am UTC
07:49:11 <ViGe> No objections, so...
07:49:14 <ViGe> #info Next meeting will be held on Thursday 11th May 2023 at 07:00am UTC: 2023-05-11T0700Z
07:49:25 <ViGe> Thanks for the meeting everyone!
07:49:39 <piggz> dcaliste: there are instuctions on the wiki for setting up sdk ... though i need to tweak some URLs now everything is in chum
07:50:08 <ViGe> #endmeeting