07:00:09 <ViGe> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 25th May 2023
07:00:09 <sailbot> Meeting started Thu May 25 07:00:09 2023 UTC. The chair is ViGe. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
07:00:09 <sailbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
07:00:14 <ViGe> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here:
07:00:17 <ViGe> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-25th-may-2023/15609
07:00:23 <ViGe> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please respect the timings and bee-hive.
07:00:27 <ViGe> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info
07:00:45 <ViGe> #info Ville Nummela - sailor@Jolla, chairperson today
07:00:52 <Solrac[m]> #info LSolrac, community
07:00:55 <pherjung[m]> #info pherjung, community
07:01:12 <tuplasuhveli[m]> #info tuplasuhveli, community
07:01:15 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones, community
07:01:32 <rainemak> #info Raine Mäkeläinen - sailor@jolla
07:01:48 <Crabster> #info Crabster - lurker
07:04:14 <ViGe> Looks like the community wins this round
07:04:47 <flypig> 🎉
07:04:55 <Solrac[m]> 🎉
07:05:07 <ViGe> We only have one question this time.
07:05:12 <ViGe> #topic Will Xperia 10 IV receive an official port? (5 min -- asked by Martin Book)
07:05:19 <ViGe> #info <Martin Book> This topic has been brought up before.
07:05:22 <ViGe> #info <Martin Book> It would just be good to know if there are any news on what the next supported device will be.
07:05:26 <ViGe> #info <Martin Book> Is it plausable, possible or probable that the Xperia 10 IV will reveive an official port?
07:05:29 <ViGe> #info <Martin Book> Is there a designated place on the forum or elsewhere where one can find information about this, or could such a place be created?
07:05:32 <ViGe> #info <Martin Book> I know of quite a few people who have a 10IV and are waiting to install Sailfish on it.
07:05:35 <ViGe> #info <Martin Book> Should we just wait for any news to be published on the blog?
07:05:39 <ViGe> #info <Martin Book> Thanks!
07:05:47 <ViGe> And here's the answer:
07:05:53 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> We have done some preliminary work on this topic, but if this will result in an official release is yet to be decided.
07:05:58 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> The work that we have done can be found from https://github.com/mer-hybris?q=murray&type=all&language=&sort=
07:06:03 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> We invite the community to contribute in order to make it a better chance to get the official port out.
07:06:48 <Solrac[m]> 👏
07:07:14 <ViGe> That was the answer. Originally only 2 minutes of discussion time was requested for this topic, but since we don't have any other questions, I think we can go on a bit longer than that if needed
07:07:43 <flypig> Is there already a community port for it? (I'm guessing not, as it's not mentioned in the list)
07:07:55 <flypig> https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-hardware-adaptations/14081
07:07:59 <ViGe> Not that I'm aware of
07:09:45 <karry> #info Lukáš Karas, community developer ...sorry to be late
07:09:48 <karry> Is there any list of things that are missing? What is not working yet?
07:09:50 <dcaliste> How do you estimate the work for the port that remains to be done ? In broad terms, like large, medium, many tiny tasks…
07:10:46 <Solrac[m]> I think it can also help to let the comunity know what part might take longer and/or would like the community's help  as well
07:11:33 <ViGe> Unfortunately we don't have the people who have been working on this here today. My understanding is that the work is in really early stages still, but I don't know the details.
07:13:42 <flypig> The fact there are official repos is a very positive sign, in my book :)
07:13:49 <Solrac[m]> Aye!
07:13:59 <Solrac[m]> I was convinced this device would be skipped
07:14:17 <ViGe> I supposed we could move on to the next topic - we can continue this one on the general discussion as well
07:14:25 <ViGe> #topic Untracked bug reports (5 min -- asked by pherjung)
07:14:30 <ViGe> #info <pherjung> Untracked bug reports (seehttps://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-25th-may-2023/15609/2)
07:14:36 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> The Community Bug Coordination Team have done a superb job once again this fortnight.
07:14:39 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> As a result of their work, we now have:
07:14:42 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> 7 high quality bug reports now recorded internally and tagged as "tracked".
07:14:46 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> 1 marked as duplicates and closed.
07:14:49 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> 1 moved to Feature Requests
07:14:53 <ViGe> #info <Jolla> 1 closed as not a bug
07:15:46 <flypig> More 🎉 😁
07:16:10 <pherjung[m]> Sometimes I see some sailors commenting bugs report and mention they added to the internal bug tracker. Unfortunately, they sometimes forgot to tag as tracked and I have no right to do it
07:16:16 <ViGe> flypig: more what?
07:16:31 <pherjung[m]> More sorted bug reports \o/
07:16:40 <ViGe> pherjung[m]: just ping me and I'll do it
07:16:47 <pherjung[m]> thank you!
07:16:59 <flypig> Yes, more sorted bug reports! There were some emojis there too, but they didn't make it through I guess :sadface:
07:17:22 <pherjung[m]> on the contrary
07:17:25 <flypig> They were :partypopper: :smiley:
07:17:41 <pherjung[m]> on element, it triggered an animation :)
07:17:52 <flypig> Oooh! Nice!
07:17:56 <ViGe> flypig: Well, this is *IRC*. A text mode medium...
07:18:28 <pherjung[m]> We started with about 1k unsorted bug reports and now we reached 614. We are in the good way to sort all of them until the end of the year \o/
07:18:41 <flypig> ViGe: :D
07:18:53 <ViGe> pherjung[m]: That's nice progress I'd say
07:19:02 <Solrac[m]> Mighty fine progress
07:19:11 <ViGe> #topic Open PR discussion (5 mins -- asked by jolla)
07:19:14 <ViGe> #info <jolla> Any open PRs to discuss?
07:19:15 <flypig> Yeah, really, really nice. Very very impressive.
07:19:32 <pherjung[m]> The door is still open if someone want to check the bugs report ;)
07:19:39 <dcaliste> This PR has been opened for a (little) while : https://github.com/sailfishos/sensorfw/pull/8
07:19:57 <dcaliste> mal approved it and spiiroin commented positively.
07:20:36 <dcaliste> I've no idea if it's good or not, but do you plan to merge it in ?
07:21:09 <ViGe> I'll ping mal and spiiroin about that
07:21:22 <ViGe> They have approved it so I would assume it will get merged
07:21:32 <ViGe> Might be that it's just forgotten
07:21:56 <dcaliste> Thanks. I was just thinking the same.
07:22:09 <ExTechOp> (oops, sorry for being late, can I still submit a #info line?)
07:22:55 <ViGe> ExTechOp: go ahead :)
07:23:03 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä, community
07:24:22 <ViGe> #topic General discussion (20 min)
07:24:32 <rainemak> ViGe, pinged already spiiroin
07:24:48 <rainemak> :)
07:24:56 <ViGe> rainemak: I already pinged both of them... :)
07:26:08 <ExTechOp> Are there new developments Jolla can share, like any new hardware support in the pipeline or such?
07:27:44 <flypig> ExTechOp, there was some discussion earlier about the Xperia 10 IV. Not an announcement as such, but there are now official repositories for it.
07:27:53 <ViGe> ExTechOp: You might want to read the log (https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2023/sailfishos-meeting.2023-05-25-07.00.log.txt)
07:28:06 <ExTechOp> Thanks!
07:28:34 <pherjung[m]> Yesterday there was a discussion about Signal and backup
07:29:04 <pherjung[m]> Signal cannot access the SD card. Does anyone know about this?
07:29:08 <flypig> I've not read the full thread, but the hardware discussion on the forum seems to also be wondering about the Xperia 10 V. I think that's been announced, but not released yet.
07:30:41 <ExTechOp> pherjung I ran against this the last time I changed phones, so I'm also interested in what the answer is.
07:31:40 <Fubo> Specially about if the technical similarities between the iv and v will make official releases easier an if the iv will maybe skipped, now that the V is available.
07:31:51 <Fubo> and
07:32:13 <pherjung[m]> Here the bug report: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/android-environment-programs-cannot-create-any-files-on-external-storage-sd-card/15044
07:33:02 <flypig> Thanks Fubo for clarifying.
07:33:20 <flypig> Comparison, in case it's of interest:
07:33:22 <flypig> https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11522&idPhone2=12264#diff-
07:33:35 <Fubo> Your welcome! #info: Johannes Fuchs, community (!?)
07:35:07 <flypig> pherjung[m], I'm using Whisperfish, so don't have experience of Signal Android, but I'm curious, is the only way to backup to store to SD card?
07:35:36 <ExTechOp> flypig The other alternative would be to use ad-hoc wifi, but that doesn't work either on Sailfish
07:35:36 <pherjung[m]> No, no. You can backup on the main storage too
07:35:39 <Solrac[m]> flypig: Usually, you're allowed any device, but its usually suggeted to use an external storage
07:36:20 <ExTechOp> What I ended up doing was copying the file I'd created on main storage over to the new device, and I could do a restore from that.
07:36:33 <ViGe> Well at least then we can manually copy the backup from internal storage to the sd card. Of course it's a bit clumsy workaround.
07:37:19 <flypig> I see, thanks again all for clarifying.
07:37:31 <tuplasuhveli[m]> Does the backing up work, if one creates a symlink (to the SD card) in the home directory?
07:37:44 <pherjung[m]> ExTechOp: There is a tutorial about it: https://www.ncartron.org/automatiser-le-deplacement-des-sauvegardes-signal-sous-sailfish-os.html
07:37:55 <ExTechOp> Oh la la
07:38:10 <Solrac[m]> tuplasuhveli[m]: I assume not, I've tried Symlinks for other apps and they don't see it as a folder
07:40:42 <flypig> Did Signal backup to SD card work previously?
07:41:20 <Solrac[m]> Before 4.5 (thus Android 10), yes.
07:41:31 <Solrac[m]> at least it was working for me
07:41:34 <flypig> I noticed from the Jolla Blog post for 4.5 that it mentions this, and wonder if it's related?
07:41:38 <flypig> "From the Android side, new privacy features mean better separation between Android apps, with scoped storage now applied also to external media"
07:42:00 <tuplasuhveli[m]> Solrac[m]: Okay, good to know. Now that I think about it, symlinking has worked with the native apps, but I've never had use it with Android apps.
07:42:32 <Solrac[m]> tuplasuhveli[m]: Android apps are the exception. I beleive it might be related to how things are mounted
07:43:24 <tuplasuhveli[m]> s/had/used/, s/use//
07:43:38 <ViGe> flypig: that could very well be.
07:44:07 <Solrac[m]> for reference, Android can see some folders, but not some others. One example for me is something like Snapseed (photo editor), browsing the files won't show the folder, but the terminal can, which I find very odd. Likewise, Droidsound-E (Emulator music player) cannot read not the external, nor symlink to the external sdcard.
07:45:17 <ViGe> Alright, we are approaching the end of today's meeting, so...
07:45:21 <ViGe> #topic Next meeting time and date (5 min)
07:45:26 <ViGe> Proposing Thursday 8th June at 07:00am UTC
07:46:53 <flypig> LGTM :)
07:48:16 <flypig> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_8
07:49:44 <ViGe> World Ocean Day
07:49:57 <ExTechOp> Works for me, in spite of the Oceans.
07:50:05 <ViGe> #info Next meeting will be held on Thursday 8th June 2023 at 07:00am UTC: 2023-06-08T0700Z
07:50:17 <ViGe> Thanks everyone, see you next time!
07:50:22 <flypig> Sailfish are ocean-dwelling creatures :)
07:50:25 <ViGe> #endmeeting