07:00:08 <rainemak> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 17th Aug 2023
07:00:08 <sailbot> Meeting started Thu Aug 17 07:00:08 2023 UTC. The chair is rainemak. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
07:00:08 <sailbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
07:00:27 <rainemak> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here:
07:00:31 <rainemak> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-17th-august-2023/15962
07:00:37 <rainemak> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please respect the timings and bee-hive.
07:00:47 <rainemak> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info
07:00:52 <b100dian> Morning
07:00:55 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä, community
07:01:02 <rainemak> morning b100dian
07:01:02 <b100dian> #info Vlad G, community
07:01:04 <Fubo> #info Johannes Fuchs - community
07:01:13 <rainemak> #info Raine Mäkeläinen, sailor @ Jolla, chairperson today
07:01:14 <direc85[m]> #info Matti Viljanen, community
07:01:49 <sebix[m]> #info sebix, community
07:01:57 <xenial-user> #info xenial-user - lurker
07:04:41 <Keto> #info Pami Ketolainen, sailor @ Jolla
07:05:25 <rainemak> We have only one topic today and let's get move to that one soon. We were fine to take it even though it arrived a bit late.
07:05:33 <rainemak> #topic Helping with Community OBS (10 mins -- asked by vlagged[m] / b100dian)
07:05:46 <rainemak> #info <vlagged[m] / b100dian> The current build time for some projects (qt5.15, nodejs) may take a
07:05:52 <rainemak> #info <vlagged[m] / b100dian> full day on ARM slaves. Is there anything the community can help with, like making more build
07:05:58 <rainemak> #info <vlagged[m] / b100dian> slaves available? Alternatively, is setting up another OBS instance something Jolla can help with
07:06:02 <rainemak> #info <vlagged[m] / b100dian> configuring?
07:06:09 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Thank you for raising this issue.
07:06:16 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> We briefly discussed qt5.15 issue earlier but unfortunately, we do not have a proposal yet. Need more investigation.
07:07:31 <b100dian> So, to be clear, there was more to this question - like if community can participate with hardware.
07:07:50 <b100dian> Not sure this was explained clearly
07:08:08 <rainemak> It was clear enough. Thank you for your clarification.
07:08:19 <b100dian> Ok, thanks for confirming
07:08:41 <sebix[m]> Is that the complete answer?
07:08:43 <rainemak> My personal take is that let's say Qt5.15 should really take full day with whatever HW
07:08:59 <rainemak> sebix[m], yes
07:09:32 <b100dian> That is correct, but a such build time easily beats any network lag, so in this case it should be possible to add machines from far away somehow
07:09:35 <rainemak> No comments / updates regarding how could community help / participate
07:11:33 <Keto> is it a problem where more hardare would help?
07:12:05 <b100dian> In general when a chum build is happening, it might be difficult to build something else
07:12:32 <b100dian> indeed that is a transient state, which does not happen that often now
07:13:05 <Keto> right
07:13:38 <rainemak> correcting myself whilst probably was clear... building Qt5.15 shouldn't take full day
07:14:35 <rainemak> b100dian, noted by Jolla. let's think what can be done.
07:14:46 <b100dian> thank you
07:14:47 <rainemak> Maybe it's time to move on
07:15:14 <rainemak> #topic Untracked bug reports (5 min -- asked by pherjung)
07:15:20 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> Untracked bug reports
07:15:25 <rainemak> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-17th-august-2023/15962/2
07:15:41 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> The Community Bug Coordination Team have done a superb job once again this fortnight.
07:16:06 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Unfortunately we didn't manage to check these after summer vacation period which is still ongoing.
07:16:24 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> We'll comment results to the forum post later this week. Thank you for your understanding.
07:17:28 <rainemak> I'm not sure if pherjung[m] is around to comment?
07:19:33 <rainemak> Time to move on
07:20:05 <rainemak> #topic Open PR discussion (5 mins -- asked by jolla / b100dian)
07:20:11 <ExTechOp> I think most of us would want to know have there been any developments on the funding and ownership front that could be shared here?
07:20:54 <rainemak> let's say for a moment on a topic. generic is coming.
07:20:58 <rainemak> let's stay for a moment on a topic. generic is coming.
07:21:03 <rainemak> #info <b100dian> Open PR URL: Buffers are not always recycled automatically by b100dian
07:21:03 <rainemak> #link https://github.com/sailfishos/droidmedia/pull/111
07:21:15 <ExTechOp> Oops, sorry, I read that as "Open discussions"
07:21:32 <rainemak> #info <b100dian> The PR solves a situation observed on Zenfone 8, port based on lineage-18.1, and video playback -
07:21:32 <rainemak> #info <b100dian> with new media buffers coming in with the same slot as existing ones, but without recycling old buffers
07:21:32 <rainemak> #info <b100dian> (they should have been null if they were recycled). The PR tracks the old buffers and the memory
07:21:32 <rainemak> #info <b100dian> pointing at them, and does two things: releases old buffers ASAP and reclaims memory only when the
07:21:34 <rainemak> #info <b100dian> client (gecko-camera, gst-droid) is not using them anymore.
07:21:40 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> We'll try to find somebody to review this. Thank you for your contribution.
07:22:14 <b100dian> thank you. I'm available if there are questions
07:22:22 <rainemak> thank you for that b100dian
07:23:17 <rainemak> questions/comments should be written down to the PR as usual
07:23:21 <rainemak> ^ as well
07:23:27 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Any open PRs to discuss?
07:23:33 <direc85[m]> How device/port specific that issue is? Is it possible that some other device unknowingly benefits from the PR?
07:24:15 <rainemak> let's cover direc85[m] 's question first before moving to "any open  PRs to discuss?"
07:24:21 <b100dian> It is. I think it is specific to media handling in Android CCodec, with newer (>=Lineage 18.1/AOSP 11) ports
07:25:03 <b100dian> I have read about a possible playback error on Volla 22 (I think?) but maybe it is not related
07:25:32 <b100dian> However, the PR should not bring any material change to device behaving as before
07:25:37 <rainemak> there are also still some async issues in the video playback
07:26:01 <rainemak> I guess there are no other PRs to discuss
07:27:01 <rainemak> #info Maybe worth noting that we're review Qt6 PRs that community has created
07:27:13 <rainemak> Let's move on to the general discussion.
07:27:18 <rainemak> #topic General discussion (20 min)
07:27:30 <ExTechOp> Again: I think most of us would want to know have there been any developments on the funding and ownership front that could be shared here?
07:27:32 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones - community (sorry for the late entry)
07:28:14 <rainemak> ExTechOp, no comments at this stage.
07:28:23 <ExTechOp> Sigh
07:28:27 <rainemak> good morning flypig
07:28:38 <Nico> I just wanted to mention that so far my Sailfish device has been working great on the chaos camp including their custom GSM network (just no VoLTE, but I am not sure if they even have that)
07:28:53 <flypig> Good morning :)
07:28:54 <Nico> #info Nico - community
07:30:42 <rainemak> Nico, pleased to hear
07:31:19 <flypig> Nico, could you share a link to the camp?
07:31:34 <rainemak> yes please! :-)
07:31:54 <Nico> Uhm, let me look, I always struggle to find the right page, but I probably can find the blog...
07:32:14 <rainemak> no worries if you don't find it
07:33:01 <Nico> Chaos camp blog with details: https://events.ccc.de/camp/
07:33:47 <Nico> Or maybe that is the start page rather :D
07:34:28 <rainemak> #info <Nico> Chaos camp blog with details https://events.ccc.de/camp/
07:36:23 <rainemak> One very interesting development related thingie is that flypig has started looking into newer gecko engine. I bet that at point he'd appreciate if others would contribute as well.
07:37:14 <Nico> Nice
07:37:45 <rainemak> First stages are problematic to distribute for multiple developers as he needs to get it building first.
07:38:16 <rainemak> but I do know that he has right kind of knowledge for this
07:38:28 <b100dian> Great to hear! Is that started in the gecko-dev fork? Is it needing a rust update?
07:39:04 <rainemak> let's see if flypig himself is able to comment on this
07:39:48 <rainemak> personally I'd definitely would like to give a look to this.
07:41:30 <flypig> Sorry, I have an intermittent connection.
07:41:45 <rainemak> no worries
07:42:01 <flypig> So far, I've not hit antyneed for a rust update, but it might come.
07:42:19 <direc85[m]> The Sailfish OS Rust repo is at 1.61: https://github.com/sailfishos/rust
07:43:07 <direc85[m]> Which is a great upgrade over 1.52, which doesn't support Rust Edition 2021.
07:43:09 <flypig> Once it's building, I'd love help. I'm putting info here: https://www.flypig.co.uk/gecko
07:43:36 <direc85[m]> Thank you flypig!
07:44:43 <flypig> Thanks :) I could do with your help with rust info direc85[m] :)
07:45:04 <rainemak> flypig, once you're done. I'd like to document your findings docs.sailfishos.org as well.
07:45:26 <rainemak> great stuff!
07:46:21 <rainemak> documenting to docs.sailfishos.org together with you of course (and that goes without saying)
07:46:37 <rainemak> let's move on
07:46:40 <flypig> That sounds good rainemak, although right now it's all very similar to ESR 78 (which is good in my opinion), so not much to add yet :)
07:46:58 <rainemak> I'm thinking more about the process
07:47:08 <rainemak> as you happen to take notes
07:47:26 <flypig> Oh, yes, excellent!
07:47:40 <rainemak> only few Sailors have "notes" regarding this :-)
07:48:07 <flypig> I'm following yours, he he:)
07:49:27 <rainemak> #topic Next meeting time and date (5 min)
07:49:38 <rainemak> Proposing Thursday 31st August at 07:00am UTC.
07:50:28 <flypig> Sounds good, for what it's worth :)
07:50:31 <rainemak> How does that sound like? Back to bi-weekly schedule that is.
07:50:39 <ExTechOp> Works4me.
07:51:24 <flypig> It'll be nice to have the meetings running again.
07:51:30 <rainemak> settled then
07:51:38 <rainemak> #info Next meeting will be held on Thursday 31st August 2023 at 07:00am UTC: 2023-08-31T0700Z
07:51:47 <rainemak> Thank you everyone for the meeting!
07:52:04 <xenial-user> thx all
07:52:20 <rainemak> Hope everybody have had chance to relax and recharge during summer time.
07:52:40 <flypig> Thanks rainemak, all!
07:52:51 <rainemak> #endmeeting