08:00:30 <rainemak> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 23rd Nov 2023
08:00:30 <sailbot_> Meeting started Thu Nov 23 08:00:30 2023 UTC. The chair is rainemak. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
08:00:30 <sailbot_> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:00:46 <rainemak> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here:
08:00:46 <rainemak> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-23rd-november-2023/17342
08:00:46 <rainemak> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please respect the timings and bee-hive.
08:00:46 <rainemak> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info
08:00:46 <rainemak> #info Raine Mäkeläinen, sailor @ Jolla, chairperson today
08:00:56 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä, community
08:01:03 <pherjung[m]> #info pherjung, community
08:02:12 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones, community
08:04:55 <poetaster> #info poetaster, community
08:05:02 <poetaster> morning!
08:05:07 <rainemak> morning
08:05:13 <rainemak> JIT :-)
08:05:22 <poetaster> (middlename).
08:05:24 <rainemak> #topic WebView + PullDownMenu (10mins -- asked by pherjung)
08:05:40 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> To improve harbour-hydrogen these days, we tried to include
08:05:40 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> a pulley menu 1 to access settings and other pages. Unfortunately,
08:05:40 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> we found that this feature breaks scrolling. As soon as you scroll
08:05:40 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> up, you have to scroll down to scroll within the WebView. On the
08:05:40 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> other hand, you’ll be able to trigger the pulley menu.
08:05:41 <rainemak> #info <pherjung>
08:05:43 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> We found out that there is a pulley menu on the Jolla email and this
08:05:45 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> bug is not there. I’ve tried to understand the differences between
08:05:47 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> harbour-hydrogen and Jolla email, but haven’t found the solution.
08:05:49 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> What was done in Jolla Email to make scrolling within a WebView with
08:05:51 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> a pulley menu work?
08:05:53 <rainemak> #link https://github.com/hydrogen-sailfishos/sfos-hydrogen/commit/1578413d114597abf983711dc007c99e30d3f3cc
08:05:56 <rainemak> #link https://openrepos.net/content/markkyboy/patch-returns-pulley-menu-email-view
08:05:58 <rainemak> #link https://github.com/hydrogen-sailfishos/sfos-hydrogen/tree/hackathon
08:06:05 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Thank you for this question. This is very interesting one.
08:06:06 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> When we removed pulley menus (plural) from the Jolla email we had
08:06:06 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> a challenge on combining Flickable and Gecko based WebView. Reason
08:06:08 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> for the Flickable is that PulleyMenu requires Flickable to work.
08:06:10 <rainemak> #info <Jolla>
08:06:15 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> The challenge comes from the fact that there are two viewports
08:06:15 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> that should be moving within the same coordinate system simultaneously.
08:06:16 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Bottom viewport is the WebView one and on top of it we have Flickable.
08:06:18 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> They should have contentLength that equal to the content length of the
08:06:20 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> web content. For both, viewport size is roughly the screen resolution
08:06:22 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> (minus header and footer) whereas content length usually is much more.
08:06:24 <rainemak> #info <Jolla>
08:06:26 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> This caused html content drifting whilst opening the PullDownMenu as
08:06:28 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> events are/were also delivered to the web content i.e. causing parallax effect.
08:06:32 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> We’re pretty sure that problem has not yet disappeared.
08:06:34 <rainemak> #info <Jolla>
08:06:44 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> The patch that you’re referring does not fix contentHeight rather having
08:06:44 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> contentHeight fixed to screen height – like it used to. Thus, it is not
08:06:44 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> hiding pulley indicator properly and doesn’t work if you’d have both
08:06:44 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> PullDownMenu and PushUpMenu declared. It is a coincident that the patch works
08:06:46 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> at the first place.
08:07:27 <rainemak> #link https://github.com/hydrogen-sailfishos/sfos-hydrogen/commit/1578413d114597abf983711dc007c99e30d3f3cc
08:07:36 <rainemak> #link https://openrepos.net/content/markkyboy/patch-returns-pulley-menu-email-view
08:07:43 <rainemak> #link https://github.com/hydrogen-sailfishos/sfos-hydrogen/tree/hackathon
08:08:06 <rainemak> Those were already above.
08:08:34 <rainemak> I'll give a moment to digest reply
08:09:25 <rainemak> I might be able to further clarify PulleyMenu & WebView combo if there's something to clarify.
08:09:51 <flypig> So, this means there is currently no official/clean way to combine a WebView and a PulleyMenu?
08:10:03 <rainemak> That's correct
08:10:07 <pherjung[m]> :(
08:10:35 <pherjung[m]> We will see if it's reasonable to keep the pulley-menu. As it triggered the text selection too
08:10:39 <rainemak> flypig, you may remember that parallax effect ?
08:10:57 <rainemak> pherjung[m], yes noticed that long press event as well
08:10:59 <pherjung[m]> It's not necessarily a bug-free feature
08:11:13 <flypig> Yes, I do rainemak, and I remember this being a big question during the redesign of the email app.
08:11:21 <pherjung[m]> but we already have a hint, let's try it
08:11:27 <poetaster> I remember remvoving pulleys from mormahjong since they caused issues.
08:11:34 <flypig> It's a shame, but nice answer, very comprehensive.
08:11:43 <pherjung[m]> Is it possible to disable the text selection?
08:11:56 <pherjung[m]> I saw a property, but defined as readonly
08:12:05 <pherjung[m]> not sure what that exactly mean
08:12:12 <rainemak> pherjung[m], it might be possible to avoid text selection by binding pulley menu active property to the webview's enabled
08:12:32 <pherjung[m]> good to now. Could you attach your answer too?
08:12:42 <dcaliste> #info Damien Caliste, community
08:12:46 <dcaliste> Sorry to be late.
08:15:12 <rainemak> #info It might be possible to avoid text selection by binding pulley menu active property to the webview's enabled
08:15:35 <rainemak> Let's move on
08:15:38 <flypig> So the idea is that the WebView will be disabled as soon as the pulley menu becomes active.
08:15:47 <rainemak> correct
08:15:52 <flypig> Neat.
08:16:14 <rainemak> just came to my mind but no idea whether it works properly
08:16:35 <flypig> This is why these meetings are so great :)
08:17:21 <rainemak> usually you'd trigger touch cancel as well so that all the previous events would be flushed away
08:17:52 <rainemak> but I bet that touch cancel wouldn't make any difference with WebVewi
08:17:55 <rainemak> WebView
08:18:46 <rainemak> #topic Sailfish OS at FOSDEM’24 (5mins -- asked by flypig)
08:18:52 <rainemak> #info <flypig> Some details about the topic: FOSDEM’24 will take place on 3-4 February 2024.
08:18:53 <rainemak> #info <flypig> Sailfish OS will be represented on the “Linux on Mobile” stand. However, as
08:18:53 <rainemak> #info <flypig> I won’t be able to present on the stand the whole time, if anyone else is
08:18:53 <rainemak> #info <flypig> planning to attend and would like to help for a bit, please get in touch.
08:18:53 <rainemak> #info <flypig> Last year it was a blast on the stand!
08:18:53 <rainemak> #info <flypig> FOSDEM’24: FOSDEM 2024 - Home
08:18:55 <rainemak> #info <flypig> Stands: FOSDEM 2024 - Accepted stands for FOSDEM 2024
08:18:57 <rainemak> #link https://fosdem.org/2024/
08:18:59 <rainemak> #link https://fosdem.org/2024/news/2023-11-20-accepted-stands-fosdem-2024/
08:19:11 <rainemak> #info As you flypig noted, a very late meeting topic submission. Added to the agenda regardless.
08:19:11 <rainemak> #info I'll ask around to understand who's going.
08:19:28 <flypig> Sorry for the late entry, and thanks for including it! And if you could ask around, that would be really great.
08:19:58 <flypig> And if anyone from the community is thinking of coming and would like to help, you are welcome too.
08:21:40 <poetaster> Glad you'll be there representing! I wish I could, but cannot, attend.
08:22:19 <flypig> I'm sad to hear that poetaster, I'd have enjoyed meeting up again.
08:22:54 <poetaster> Child rearing, winter school holidays.
08:23:04 <poetaster> Otherwise, I'd be there.
08:23:25 <flypig> You're putting your children ahead of FOSDEM? ;)
08:23:32 <rainemak> Do we need to reserve an extra minute or two for this?
08:23:48 <flypig> I just want to get the word out really, so happy to move on personally.
08:24:04 <rainemak> poetaster, anything to add?
08:24:47 <rainemak> I guess not
08:24:50 <rainemak> #topic Open PR discussion (10 mins -- asked by jolla)
08:24:50 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Any open PRs to discuss?
08:25:00 <poetaster> nope, sorry.
08:25:05 <rainemak> no problem
08:25:21 <pherjung[m]> Not exactly PR, but could be possible to update Sailfish-Utilities?
08:25:41 <pherjung[m]> there are merger PR not included in the Jolla-Store
08:25:54 <rainemak> pherjung[m], ah. let's give a look
08:26:28 <flypig> pherjung[m], out of interest, what do the the changes do?
08:26:37 <rainemak> pherjung[m], nb now-a-days sailfish-utilities is part of images as well
08:26:40 <pherjung[m]> Include keyboard restart again
08:27:02 <pherjung[m]> rainemak: Oh, I see now
08:27:14 <flypig> Thanks pherjung[m]!
08:28:44 <rainemak> Thanks pherjung[m]
08:28:59 <rainemak> moving on to the bug reports
08:29:53 <rainemak> #topic Bug reports (5 min -- asked by pherjung)
08:29:53 <rainemak> #info <pherjung> Bug reports
08:29:53 <rainemak> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-23rd-november-2023/17342/2
08:29:53 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> As always, the Community Bug Coordination Team have done a superb job.
08:29:53 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> As a result of their work, we now have:
08:29:55 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> 4 high quality bug reports now recorded internally and tagged as "tracked"
08:29:56 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> 2 bug reports flagged with needinfo
08:29:58 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> 1 bug report under investigation
08:30:02 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> 5 bugs were closed.
08:30:28 <rainemak> pherjung[m] pointed out one related issue this morning that was marked as tracked as well
08:30:29 <pherjung[m]> BTW, thanks to thilo
08:31:23 <rainemak> thanks to the whole bug coordination team
08:31:30 <flypig> +1 to that!
08:35:11 <pherjung[m]> let's move on?
08:35:28 <rainemak> #topic General discussion (5 min)
08:35:37 <rainemak> done :)
08:36:00 <rainemak> I'll continue a bit with the WebView and Pulley
08:36:16 <rainemak> quickly checked that qtmozembed doesn't handle touch cancel by any means
08:36:20 <pherjung[m]> great!
08:36:22 <rainemak> so you can ignore that
08:36:51 <poetaster> ah. sad.
08:37:37 <rainemak> in cases like... display on, fingers on the screen then press power button to turn display off => we trigger touch cancel to flush the touch
08:37:55 <pherjung[m]> rainemak: If you find something interesting, not sure where is the best place to share it. Perhaps the related issue https://github.com/hydrogen-sailfishos/sfos-hydrogen/issues/18 ?
08:38:30 <rainemak> pherjung[m], I'll comment there is something pops to my mind
08:38:35 <rainemak> there if
08:39:23 <rainemak> I logged some new items to the https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser/issues
08:40:26 <flypig> Thanks for that rainemak! I started up looking at these issues now so will start picking them off.
08:41:13 <rainemak> assigned one for myself as well but haven't really proceed with that yet
08:41:32 <flypig> The Session History bug?
08:41:36 <rainemak> that one
08:42:03 <rainemak> I could try to help with embedlite-components errors? How does that sound like?
08:42:37 <flypig> Yeah, that would be really great, thank you!
08:42:46 <ExTechOp> I am currently using a Sony Xperia 10III, and there are two issues that really need resolving: missing echo cancellation and camera support. Is there any work being done on these?
08:43:34 <rainemak> camera2 support is here https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/camera2-api-development/14491/
08:44:07 <rainemak> #info Two issues on Sony xperia 10 III that really need resolving: missing echo cancellation and camera support. Is there any work being done on these?
08:44:16 <rainemak> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/camera2-api-development/14491/
08:44:53 <rainemak> #info As far as I understand, echo cancellation issue is on the Sony blobs
08:48:21 <rainemak> As a note to myself, I'll check whether I could help somehow Whisperfish developers with rust update issues
08:48:27 <flypig> It's a real shame about the echo cancellation. The blobs are not open?
08:48:54 <rainemak> nope, those are not open
08:49:28 <ExTechOp> I've resorted to making any important calls using a headset (which does have other benefits), but that of course is a bit clumsy
08:49:57 <flypig> I agree ExTechOp, a headset is the best solution right now.
08:50:45 <rainemak> what happened
08:51:01 <pherjung> strange, I don't see any new message on matrix
08:51:01 <ExTechOp> What does "the blobs are not open" mean in this context, there is some bug there that prevents using them successfully?
08:51:28 <rainemak> open as open source
08:52:05 <pherjung> poetaster: had you the time yesterdey to test QML Live?
08:52:14 <ExTechOp> But I mean, Jolla has very successfully used other binary blobs to talk to the phone hardware, is the API for using the echo cancellation somehow unusable or what?
08:52:33 <rainemak> those are device specific
08:52:49 <rainemak> and there's bug in the blob
08:52:58 <flypig> Maybe it's also worth clarifying that Sony provide different blobs for their factory install compared to those for the Open Devices Programme.
08:53:09 <rainemak> flypig, thanks
08:54:29 <rainemak> I guess we can move on.
08:54:43 <rainemak> ExTechOp, noted those two issues down to the minutes as well
08:54:56 <rainemak> and those are known issues
08:55:07 <pherjung> Is the bridge between IRC and matrix broken?
08:55:19 <rainemak> I guess it died
08:55:35 <flypig> Oh, there are more messages on Matrix?!
08:55:40 <pherjung> exactly
08:55:41 <poetaster> pherjung, sorry, not yet. I'll git it a go later today
08:55:49 <pherjung> no hurry
08:55:59 <rainemak> #topic Next meeting time and date (5 min)
08:55:59 <rainemak> Proposing Thursday 7th December at 07:00am UTC.
08:56:02 <ExTechOp> I there anything that can be told about Jolla's future right now? If not, is there a meta-date when more information will be revealed?
08:57:06 <ExTechOp> Proposed date works4me.
08:57:25 <flypig> +1 works4me
08:57:40 <poetaster> +1 works for me.
08:58:01 <rainemak> ExTechOp, communicated here https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/re-organisation-of-jolla-company/17133/17
08:58:02 <dcaliste> Ok for me too.
08:58:08 <pherjung> +1
08:58:17 <rainemak> #info Next meeting will be held on Thursday 7th December 2023 at 07:00am UTC: 2023-12-07T0700Z
08:58:22 <ExTechOp> rainemak Thanks.
08:58:22 <rainemak> Thank you everyone for the meeting!
08:58:29 <flypig> Thanks rainemak, everyone!
08:58:33 <ExTechOp> Thank you everyone!
08:58:48 <rainemak> #endmeeting