08:00:25 <rainemak> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 28th March 2024
08:00:25 <sailbot> Meeting started Thu Mar 28 08:00:25 2024 UTC. The chair is rainemak. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
08:00:25 <sailbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:00:25 <rainemak> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here:
08:00:25 <rainemak> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-28th-march-2024/18251
08:00:25 <rainemak> I am the meeting's chairperson today, and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please respect the timings and bee-hive.
08:00:25 <rainemak> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info
08:00:27 <rainemak> #info Raine Mäkeläinen, sailor @ Jolla, chairperson today
08:01:08 <Thaodan> #info Björn Bidar, sailor @ Jolla
08:02:31 <nephros> #info Peter G., community, just lurking today
08:02:35 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä, community
08:03:42 <pvuorela> #info Pekka Vuorela, Jolla
08:04:10 <flypig> #info David Llewellyn-Jones, community
08:04:55 <rainemak> No topic proposals for today's meeting. I'm expecting Easter somewhat affecting. We can keep this short.
08:05:23 <rainemak> #info Welcome everybody
08:05:23 <dcaliste> #info Damien Caliste, community
08:05:28 <rainemak> #topic Open PR discussion (5 mins -- asked by Jolla)
08:05:34 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Any open PRs to discuss?
08:07:18 <rainemak> I'd just like to say that it was a great push from all to get https://github.com/sailfishos/rust/pull/22 in that direc85[m] raised last time. Thank you everybody involved!
08:07:45 <flypig> Great work!
08:08:01 <rainemak> flypig, hopefully helps you as well
08:08:36 <flypig> That'd be great :) Practically speaking, when is this likely to make it into the SDK?
08:09:05 <rubdos[m]> direc85 and me are very happe that it got it :)
08:09:39 <rainemak> gecko patches were quite huge... but it looks good
08:10:07 <rainemak> dcaliste, you're in talks with pvuorela regarding open PRs
08:10:48 <dcaliste> Indeed, pvuorela will give a look to my PRs when he will have time. I'm afraid he's quite busy now ;)
08:11:03 <pvuorela> dcaliste: finally getting there!
08:11:07 <rainemak> great! thank you
08:11:11 <dcaliste> Maybe after the 4.6 branching he will be more available, I guess.
08:11:30 <rainemak> time is up
08:11:37 <dcaliste> Hello pvuorela, don't worry, I know it's busy time at the moment.
08:11:48 <rainemak> if something pops up we can continue on general discussion
08:12:00 <rainemak> #topic General discussion (15 min)
08:12:20 <flypig> Are these the PRs listed in the "Communication bits" part of the last newsletter? https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/sailfish-community-news-21st-march-2024-rust/18235#communication-bits-4
08:12:53 <flypig> (ofono, messagingframework, nemo-qml-plugin-email)
08:13:16 <rainemak> what PRs?
08:13:33 <flypig> The ones dcaliste and pvuorela are working on. Sorry, I'm just trying to follow along :)
08:14:38 <flypig> The ofono one is closed, so I guess maybe the other two:
08:14:39 <flypig> https://github.com/sailfishos/messagingframework/pull/16
08:14:39 <rainemak> flypig, would you like to say few words regarding esr91? Btw, it's so nice to read your blog.
08:14:58 <dcaliste> flypig, I've opened PRs to bring decryption capability to the email application. And some others about adding filtered voicecall to the call history.
08:15:01 <rainemak> flypig, anything that I could do?
08:16:10 <flypig> Thanks rainemak! I'll just say that I'm still stuck on WebView rendering. I've not yet exhausted all of the avenues to try to fix it and am currently applying the patch for the emulator that piggz and frajo worked.
08:16:12 <dcaliste> I dropped the one in ofono and libqofono after discussing with Slava, and implemented the voice call filter in a separated package, ee https://github.com/dcaliste/sailfish-voicecall-filter
08:16:33 <flypig> When I hit a dead end, I'll be coming to you for advice again rainemak!
08:16:39 <ExTechOp> Jolla folks: any new SFOS hardware ports on the horizon that you are able to divulge?
08:17:56 <dcaliste> flypig, about ESR91, it's great that you figured out the issue with code (and phone) seizure. Impressive job.
08:18:21 <flypig> Thanks dcaliste :) It was a silly error that I missed. But nice to have it fixed.
08:18:32 <flypig> I'd also like to advertise piggz's ofono blog, which is a great read.
08:18:32 <flypig> https://www.piggz.co.uk/sites/pgz/blog/
08:18:40 <rainemak> ExTechOp, not too much.
08:19:03 <dcaliste> flypig, thanks for the blog. I'll read it. Looks interesting.
08:19:32 <flypig> Thanks dcaliste for the summary of your nice PRs. Great to hear about the decryption. This is to complement your signing plugin?
08:19:35 <rainemak> #info In addition to Flypig's blog Piggz's ofono blog is a great read
08:19:38 <rainemak> #link https://www.flypig.co.uk/gecko
08:19:52 <rainemak> #link https://www.piggz.co.uk/sites/pgz/blog/
08:20:23 <flypig> Thanks for the plug rainemak :)
08:20:44 <dcaliste> Yes, I'm adding the decryption to the existing signing capability.
08:21:14 <dcaliste> Next step is to add, encryption. And next next is to give a look to implement it with a sequoia backend.
08:21:32 <flypig> Brilliant :D Can you please remind me what you're using for the backend currently? (gnupg?)
08:21:48 <Thaodan> would  sequoia not block yubikeys/smartcards?
08:22:10 <dcaliste> Yes, it's GnuPG. Which is fine, as far as I know, but lagging too much behind in Sailifhsh OS for licence reasons.
08:22:13 <rainemak> Hi piggz
08:22:55 <rainemak> flypig, just advertised your great blog! :-)
08:23:00 <flypig> :D
08:23:06 <flypig> dcaliste, understood, thank you!
08:23:12 <Thaodan> Another thing I noticed can be quit annoying is that the email client doesn't allow the embedding of emails into the email
08:23:27 <dcaliste> Thaodan, I must admit my ignorance in that domain. The idea is just to see if the QMF plugin currently in GnuPG, can be redone in sequoia. It would prove the API of the QMF plugin is well designed enough to support different backend.
08:23:33 <piggz[m]> haha, im not sure my blog is a good read, but thanks anyway :D
08:23:50 <piggz[m]> btw, comments are back and i have quite some work to do :)
08:24:34 <flypig> I don't see comments :(
08:24:38 <Thaodan> dcaliste: thanks for explaining. I wonder if more of that kinda of work could be shared with kontact given they also have a qt wrapper around gnupg
08:24:54 <dcaliste> Thaodan, do you mean when creating a new email ?
08:25:14 <piggz[m]> flypig: https://lore.kernel.org/ofono/c9c9aef1-be51-48c5-b3c0-63cdc906f834@gmail.com/T/#t
08:25:19 <Thaodan> dcaliste: that but also when someone else sends you an email forwarded as an attachment
08:26:02 <nephros> On changes to the email app, I'm missing an interface to create an email  with recipient, subject, body, *and* a list of attachments.
08:26:06 <flypig> Ah, thanks piggz[m]! I misunderstood you, but now I understand (you've received comments from your upstream patches; great!).
08:26:22 <dcaliste> Thaodan, I'm afraid KDE is not using QMF anymore, if they did at anytime. The GnuPG plugin in QMF is really thin anyway. Most of the job is to propagate the capability to the QML bindings in nemo-qml-plugin-email. And also adjust the UI.
08:26:42 <Thaodan> dcaliste: ok
08:26:54 <nephros> currently, you can to recipient, subject etc via mailto: or DBus call, OR List of attachments via Sailfish.Share (but no recipient etc.)
08:27:50 <dcaliste> About opening an email with an attached one, I thought it was implemented in the email application… I need to check. There are many places where you test if the attachment is of MIME rfc8821 (or whatever number I don't remember).
08:28:34 <rainemak> Opening an email which contains an attached .eml is not quite that trivial
08:28:48 <flypig> nephros, when you say "missing an interface" you mean a programmatic interface? Not the user interface?
08:28:48 <Thaodan> dcaliste: Anyway that's the kde interface to gnupg https://github.com/KDE/kgpg
08:29:36 <rainemak> Do we need more time for general discussion? Sounds that we're not yet done.
08:29:37 <nephros> flypig: yes. A Dbus call.
08:30:40 <flypig> Got it; thanks nephros. That'd be a fun task to add.
08:30:47 <rainemak> Extending general discussion by 10mins. Ending 40mins past.
08:30:53 <nephros> I have sketched an idea here: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/enhance-sailfish-share-api-to-include-metadata-hints-for-the-receiving-application/13762
08:31:27 <flypig> Nice!
08:31:44 <nephros> ... that is based on Share, not necessarily Email only. But an extension to the email app's dbus methods would suffice as well.
08:33:27 <dcaliste> Very nice nephros, I'll give a look with great interest.
08:34:11 <nephros> dcaliste: great! :)
08:34:26 <dcaliste> Thank you Thaodan, I'll give a look. I've based the current QMF plugin implementation, mainly on claw-mail plugins.
08:35:24 <nephros> dcaliste: I'm sure there are flaws in my sketch design, but the goal here was to minimize necessary changes in propriertary bits.
08:36:09 <rainemak> ExTechOp, there are things like https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/kernel/pull/2608 still in the Murray and Zambezi.
08:36:29 <Thaodan> dcaliste: I haven't had much experience with claw mail. My motivation comes from having working smartcard support in the email app for my yubikey
08:37:42 <rainemak> ExTechOp, that's from the "minor" side... whilst that for instance was rendering automatic display brightness update to void
08:38:24 <dcaliste> Thaodan, sure, don't worry, I don't plan to drop GnuPG. Just to add another way (beside recompiling ourself a modern GnuPG) to get a modern version of PGP implementation.
08:38:48 <Thaodan> dcaliste: I found some minor issues in the packaging of the voice call filter will post a pr later.
08:39:01 <dcaliste> Thaodan, great thanks a lot !
08:39:48 <ExTechOp> rainemak (Murray and Zambezi are 10IV and 10V) Thanks!
08:39:54 <rainemak> yeap
08:40:39 <rainemak> alright... let's schedule next meeting
08:40:47 <Thaodan> dcaliste: np no worries. Personally I just don't like nih type of issues but that's another topic.
08:40:49 <rainemak> #topic Next meeting time and date (5 mins)
08:40:49 <rainemak> Proposing Thursday 11th April at 08:00am UTC
08:40:55 <dcaliste> nephros, I'll comment on the forum on your proposition. I've just given a very quick look, but will take time to read it in longer details.
08:41:01 <flypig> Is it finally time for the clocks to change?
08:41:10 <rainemak> yes, next weekend
08:41:45 <flypig> So I think that usually means the meeting time changes too... am I misremembering?
08:41:59 <nephros> dcaliste: Much appreciated. (And just because I have to: through XDG Portals, there is a standardized API for apps to use to create email.)
08:42:10 <rainemak> How did we do last spring? Please remind me
08:42:31 <ExTechOp> I think we had the meeting at a different UT time, so the local times were the same?
08:42:47 <flypig> Yes, exactly, that's my recollection too.
08:42:54 <rainemak> Same
08:43:00 <rainemak> Would you like to adjust?
08:43:23 <flypig> The clocks will go forwards by an hour. So that means the UTC time goes... back? To 7:00?
08:43:24 <ExTechOp> This local time works4me, how about the others?
08:43:30 <rainemak> Correct
08:43:39 <rainemak> flypig, Correct
08:43:58 <rainemak> UTC 8am , HKI 11 am, UK 9am
08:44:03 <flypig> Thinking about this hurts my brain :(
08:44:25 <rainemak> but we can go to UTC 7am
08:44:36 <dcaliste> I agree with flypig, it should be UTC 7am, I think.
08:45:35 <rainemak> Both goes for me... Pondering would it help if central Europe if this would be one later
08:45:35 <dcaliste> In france we will become UTC+2, so to keep it at 9am (while we are UTC+1 now), it should switch from UTC8am to UTC 7am. If I'm not mistaken.
08:46:00 <rainemak> ....Whether it would help
08:47:00 <rainemak> I'm open to adjust given that it's not 6am UTC
08:48:05 <flypig> I personally prefer to stick to the same local time. But think it should be whatever works best for the Jolla team.
08:48:12 <rainemak> Let's go with 07:00am UTC
08:48:33 <rainemak> I was more thinking central Europe and early wake ups
08:48:44 <rainemak> #info Next meeting will be held on Thursday 11th April 2024 at 07:00am UTC: 2024-04-11T0700Z
08:48:57 <rainemak> I wish happy Easter for everybody! Thank you all!
08:48:58 <ExTechOp> Thank you everyone, once again!
08:49:14 <flypig> Thank you all! Happy Easter!
08:49:39 <rainemak> #endmeeting