08:00:52 <Jaymzz> #startmeeting Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration – June 14th 2017
08:00:52 <merbot> Meeting started Wed Jun 14 08:00:52 2017 UTC.  The chair is Jaymzz. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Meetings.
08:00:52 <merbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:01:04 <Jaymzz> #info Meeting information and agenda can be found here: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2017-June/007909.html
08:01:14 <Jaymzz> I am the meeting’s chairperson today and will be doing my best to keep time and order. Please behave, respect the timings and be gentle.
08:01:27 <Jaymzz> #topic Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with # info
08:01:33 <tbr> #info tbr, mer community
08:01:41 <DylanVanAssche> #info Dylan Van Assche, app developer & community member
08:01:46 <Jaymzz> #info James Noori, Sailor @ Jolla
08:01:50 <LarstiQ> #info Wouter van Heijst, infra at Jolla
08:02:03 <ljo_> #info Leif-Jöran Olsson, community
08:02:11 <jwalck> #info Jonatan Walck, community member
08:02:18 <sledges> #info Simonas Leleiva, sailor @ Jolla
08:02:47 <eekkelund> #info eekkelund
08:02:52 <nh1402> #info nh1402, community member
08:03:17 <Xray2000> #info Rudi Timmermans, app developer
08:03:47 <_jester_> #info _jester_, curious , perhaps a future developer / contributor
08:03:58 <remote_> #info remote, had a question posted on together.J.
08:05:51 <abranson> #info Andrew Branson, Jolla sailor
08:06:09 <mattaustin> #info Matt Austin, community member
08:06:39 <Jaymzz> Moving to the first topic of the day
08:06:46 <Jaymzz> #topic How soon dual-sim version of Xperia X (F5122) will be supported after F5121 fw release? (5 min, asked by remote_)
08:07:59 <remote_> so I guess somebody from Jolla could tell if they had any plans on dual-sim version
08:08:23 <remote_> I already have one, and very interested in getting Sailfish on it
08:08:41 <Nokius> #info Nokius SailfishOS community manily reading today
08:09:12 <LarstiQ> remote_: do you know how different f5122 is from f5121?
08:09:29 <r0kk3rz> LarstiQ: apparently not much
08:09:40 <abranson> just the dual-sim I think
08:09:55 <mkosola> #info Matti Kosola, Sailor @ Jolla
08:10:08 <Jaymzz> For now our focus is to bring you the single SIM device, however once that's done, we can start doing work on the dual-SIM variant and in fact other Sony devices. But as for now there are no concrete plans to comment on. If the HW isn't that different, there should not be that big of an issue to make it work.
08:10:11 <remote_> I know that Sony's open fw is available for both versions and they have the same tree, just different build files
08:10:20 <kimmoli> #info Kimmo Lindholm, community
08:10:39 <abranson> it's present as a build target in the lunch menu of the aosp build we have for the f5121, so it's really similar but will require a separate build - not the same image
08:11:07 <abranson> but as james said - we'd tackle that after the first one's ready
08:11:27 <r0kk3rz> technically it should be fine, but business could get in the way of 'official support'
08:11:28 <Nokius> \o/
08:11:31 <remote_> I just hope it won't be lost in plans, after the release, when the pressure for bug fixiing arisees
08:11:45 <LarstiQ> remote_: there is some scope for community port of course
08:12:04 <r0kk3rz> whatever 'official support'  means
08:12:07 <LarstiQ> before/if we don't get to it
08:12:09 <_jester_> The dual-sim variants are very popular in the south east asia, local companies only manufacture dual-sim phones
08:12:16 <_jester_> it would be nice to have support
08:12:58 <Jaymzz> #info Any project other than the single-SIM Xperia X is currently not being actively worked on. That may/will change after we are done with the current project. Community is more than welcome to help with future builds
08:13:05 <remote_> seems like I got an answer, so we can proceed
08:13:21 <Jaymzz> remote_: Alright :)
08:13:31 <Jaymzz> #topic: Will the Xperia X coming for sure, and will alien dalvik updated to a newer android? (2min, asked by Xray2000)
08:14:17 <remote_> yes, I'm interested, too, if for example android >=6.0 app permission mngt would be available
08:14:37 <Jaymzz> Xray2000: Just one request: Please edit the wiki page on the planning page and add your topic directly to the page instead of adding it as an answer. It is way easier to spot like that.
08:15:03 <r0kk3rz> Jaymzz: some dont have the karma
08:15:40 <Jaymzz> r0kk3rz: I understand that :) But I have always said, please feel free to message me on IRC or email me or contact me somehow so I can make that happen for you!
08:15:53 <nh1402> Jaymzz: same for remote, I noticed the change and added to the first post.
08:16:15 <Jaymzz> nh1402: Thank you :)
08:16:30 <Xray2000> Jaymzz will do that sorry…
08:16:52 <Jaymzz> Xray2000: No nee to apologize, thank you for taking note :)
08:17:01 <Jaymzz> Now, let's get to the topic
08:17:25 <_jester_> wasnt the original list much lenghtier with questions about qml components and their status ?
08:17:35 <_jester_> oh, sorry id reserve that for general discussion
08:17:50 <Jaymzz> _jester_: Yes please
08:19:10 <jwalck> so, yes, as all meetings the last few months we're all eager to find out more about when and where xperia sailfish devices will pop up
08:19:46 <Jaymzz> So about the dalvik question, We know Anrdoid 4.x is getting old and apps are moving beyond it. We'd like to sort this out but don't know how much work it will end up being. It may work out quickly, or we may not have the resources to get it done any time soon.
08:20:54 <Nokius> Jaymzz: isn't this done by Myriad Group?
08:21:00 <Xray2000> Ok that’s a fair answher thanks.
08:21:16 <DylanVanAssche> Myriad Group has updated their engine already?
08:21:22 <Nokius> the adaption of a newer Android version in Alien dalvik?
08:21:34 <LarstiQ> Nokius: resources = time and money
08:22:09 <Jaymzz> About the Xperia project: Our developers are working on it as we speak, the status is set to be updated for the public in a few weeks so it is clear where we are headed. Of course the main goal is to make it happen as we have promised. But I suggest you to wait for our official status update on the project. It will most likely be something on the blog :)
08:22:21 <r0kk3rz> ah so you need to pay myriad. fair enough
08:22:23 <Nokius> LarstiQ: okay :)
08:22:48 <Jaymzz> LarstiQ: Made it very clear there ;)
08:23:06 <Nokius> LarstiQ: I personally never used it I don't care about it much
08:23:15 <Xray2000> Ok good thanks!
08:23:15 <Jaymzz> OK Xray2000, did you get your answer? :)
08:23:25 <Xray2000> Yesp thanks
08:23:36 <Jaymzz> Alrighty
08:23:37 <Jaymzz> #topic General discussion (15 min)
08:23:56 <_jester_> would the qml components get open sourced ?
08:24:15 <M4rtinK_phone_> +1
08:24:17 <DylanVanAssche> _jester_: +1
08:24:40 <r0kk3rz> _jester_: thats been an ongoing discussion for a long time now
08:24:42 <M4rtinK_phone_> would help even just for bugfixing
08:25:22 <_jester_> r0kk3rz: so there must be an answer of some sort, I mean if its undecided, its still an answer
08:25:24 <veskuh> _jester_:  Do you mean Silica or various other QML components we have on the system?
08:25:53 <_jester_> Silica, the development api question coderus was asking in the minutes i saw
08:26:18 <_jester_> since I want to start being involved in the development, I would like to know the answer too
08:29:44 <veskuh> _jester_: We have a plan of open sourcing more of the components, and Silica would be part of that. So far we haven’t been able to open more components as our investors have been very cautious due to financial situation.
08:30:20 <veskuh> _jester_: If our customer work proceeds nicely, as it looks now, then we should be able to proceed with opening up.
08:30:58 <M4rtinK_phone_> interesting!
08:31:50 <_jester_> well, here are my two cents, if its bothering the small community of developers and porters you have, you should consider it more. All the best and I hope the financial situation opens up
08:31:50 <DylanVanAssche> For the upcoming SFOS 2.1.1 there will be some security restrictions I read on the Devel list. The ConnMan DBUS API will be read-only for nemo lvl apps. Are there other things that are going to restricted in 2.1.1 for devs?
08:32:20 <_jester_> DylanVanAssche: +1
08:32:51 <veskuh> jpetrell: ^
08:33:05 <tortoisedoc_> how about the hirings? still on the roadmap?
08:34:06 <veskuh> tortoisedoc_:  Yes, we’ve been interviewing some candidates and still continue the process
08:34:28 <nh1402> How is the 64bit Sailfish support going?
08:35:44 <sledges> nh1402: it's coming together together with xperia x port
08:36:29 <sledges> nh1402: sorry, misread your question, i thought you ask about 64bit hw adaptation
08:36:40 <jpetrell> DylanVanAssche, veskuh: not that I know of, ConnMan privileged move was the big change in 2.1.1
08:37:00 * sledges <- coffee ~D)
08:37:01 <Jaymzz> Less than 5 minutes remains on this topic guys
08:37:21 <DylanVanAssche_> jpetrell: Thanks :) But for sure: reading will still be possible
08:37:58 <nh1402> sledges: what I meant was like say when Sailfish can handle 6GB ram and above
08:38:50 <sledges> nh1402: if we get a 6GB+ RAM hw port lined up, that will speed things up:)
08:39:53 <Jaymzz> Alright seems that we are clear to move on
08:40:06 <Jaymzz> #topic Next meeting’s time and date (5 min)
08:40:17 <Jaymzz> Proposal: Wednesday, 28th of June 2017 at 08:00 UTC. Any votes against?
08:40:41 <_jester_> nopes
08:40:57 <nh1402> Jaymzz: when you say "few weeks" for updates, would that be 28th or later?
08:41:45 <nh1402> like if it's the following week, we could do the meeting then, if it's the week after or later, then 28th is fine
08:41:52 <Jaymzz> nh1402: That is hard to say. The goal it to get the update out as soon as possible, but there are things we can't control so let's hope that it is out by then. I'll personally do my best on that front
08:42:41 <nh1402> fair enough
08:42:46 <Jaymzz> I'd suggest keeping the bi-weekly timeline that we have now and see how other things work out!
08:43:07 <nh1402> yes
08:43:10 <Jaymzz> #info Next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 28th of June 2017 at 08:00 UTC
08:43:20 <Jaymzz> Thank you everyone for attending today's meeting.
08:43:27 <Jaymzz> And thanks for participations!
08:43:30 <jwalck> that date works for me!
08:43:31 <Jaymzz> #endmeeting