#mer-meeting: SailfishOS, open source, collaboration: 11-Feb-2016 @ 14:30 UTC

Meeting started by cybette at 14:30:32 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Happy Chinese new year from Taiwan! And welcome to another week of SailfishOS OSS and collaboration meeting (cybette, 14:30:47)
    2. Meeting info and agenda: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2016-February/006960.html (cybette, 14:30:54)

  1. Brief introductions (5 min), prefix your information with #info (cybette, 14:31:06)
    1. Kimmo Lindholm, Community member. (kimmoli, 14:31:12)
    2. Richard Rondu - Community app developer & Whisky drinker (lainwir3d, 14:31:14)
    3. Carol Chen, community member, hatless meeting chair today (cybette, 14:31:27)
    4. Lewis Rockliffe - community developer (r0kk3rz, 14:31:27)
    5. Vesa-Matti Hartikainen, Jolla, Program Manager (veskuh_, 14:31:48)
    6. Simonas Leleiva, sailing porting and pootling with Jolla (sledges, 14:31:50)
    7. Eugenio Paolantonio - community member, lurker (eugenio, 14:31:51)
    8. Steph Gosling, porter, community (stephg, 14:31:55)
    9. Juhani Lassila, Head of Communications, Jolla (jlassila1, 14:31:57)
    10. Fran├žois, community (daitheflu, 14:32:01)
    11. William McBee - UX developer, tester, community (gerbick, 14:32:05)
    12. David Greaves, sailor and Mer guy (lbt, 14:32:06)
    13. Fra, community member. Happy new year @cybette <3 (fravaccaro, 14:32:08)
    14. tortoisedoc, doctor of tortoises (tortoisedoc, 14:32:16)
    15. n9mx,Community member (n9mx, 14:32:31)
    16. Pami Ketolainen, backend developer @ Jolla (pketo, 14:32:33)
    17. Aleksi Suomalainen community (locusf, 14:32:34)
    18. Marko Saukko, Chief Engineer @ Jolla (Sage_, 14:32:59)
    19. Kuba Domaszewicz, Chief Engineer of Aidlab for Jolla project (guzik, 14:33:27)
    20. Jarkko Lehtoranta, SDK Developer @ Jolla (Jare, 14:33:35)
    21. Damien, community (dcaliste, 14:34:33)

  2. Status update from Jolla (tablets, financing, resourcing, etc.) - Jolla + community (10 min) (cybette, 14:36:00)
    1. please address the subject of the tablet situation (delivery to backers, taobao situation) - Also, what about additional perks - e.g. 64GB upgrades - and $20 USD delivery fee that we were asked to add to the tablet contributions? Are those included in the current theoritical refund plan? (cybette, 14:36:06)
    2. Refund program for Jolla tablet is not a trivial task as there is no ready solution available. Jolla has been working super hard on it with good progress, and is starting to send instructions etc. to contributors. (cybette, 14:39:20)
    3. All the perks (64GB upgrades, delivery fee etc.) will be included in the refund program (cybette, 14:40:00)
    4. Regarding Jolla Tablets on Taobao, according to Jolla's knowledge there would have been a few hundred devices on sale there, but the sellers indicate there are more devices. Jolla is still investingating this. (cybette, 14:41:56)
    5. There are both 64GB and 32GB tablets in the batch of 540, but no exact figures of each. (cybette, 14:42:59)
    6. It should not take long for the shipping of remaining 540 tablets, although no exact date yet. Please also refer to FAQ in latest blog post for other questions. (cybette, 14:45:38)

  3. Open actions for jlassila - petervink (20 min) (cybette, 14:46:27)
    1. roadmap development, more frequent communication, public release 2.0.1.7, licensing (turing phone / intex), update sailfishos website (cybette, 14:46:37)
    2. Roadmap: as stated previously, it is hard for Jolla to give a long roadmap as the strategy is still being worked on (cybette, 14:50:42)
    3. Jolla is doing their best to have more frequent comms (cybette, 14:51:04)
    4. Public release of 2.0.1.7 is pending on one critical issue (cybette, 14:51:52)
    5. the blocking issue for 2.0.1.7 is https://together.jolla.com/question/128005/bug201taalojarvi-auto-ignoring-incoming-connection/ (cybette, 14:53:41)
    6. Intex phone is being presented in MWC in less than 2 weeks, if you want to see the phone, come to Barcelona (cybette, 14:54:14)
    7. Turing CEO announced their intentions last week, and Jolla can confirm the partnership (cybette, 14:54:38)
    8. There are also openssl and openssh updates for 2.0.1.7, which are building at the moment (cybette, 14:55:09)
    9. SailfishOS.org website will have a slightly bigger update before MWC, Jolla is working on it as we speak (cybette, 14:55:36)
    10. Intex phone will be available in India only (cybette, 14:56:11)
    11. Fairphone 2 pre-release soon by mal- \o/ (sledges, 14:59:59)
    12. Decision to go outside India is up to Intex, nothing confirmed from their side for now. (cybette, 15:00:48)
    13. Jolla's cooperation with SSH is moving slow, not much to share at the moment. (cybette, 15:01:01)

  4. Collection of files and instruction of public ports for 'non-developer'-users - petervink (10 min) (cybette, 15:01:58)
    1. How to bring public ports that are fully working to users that are not-developers but want to run Sailfish OS on their device. We can generate some more traction in the community if we can make this more accessible and attractive. (cybette, 15:02:09)
    2. http://www.merproject.org/logs/%23sailfishos-porters/%23sailfishos-porters.2016-02-09.log.html (stephg, 15:02:49)
    3. (off topic) Pootle is WIP and getting there, community's input at FOSDEM was invaluable for documentation (cybette, 15:03:45)
    4. https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Devices (stephg, 15:04:11)
    5. https://together.jolla.com/question/128326/community-port-requests-2016/ <- there are some requests here (locusf, 15:04:21)
    6. More exposure of ports is a good thing, situation can be improved, such as adding missing info for ports (how they are built, what sources, where the uplodaed configs are) (cybette, 15:08:08)
    7. Each port is different requiring differing levels of technical competence, so simplicity for non-developers is not straightforward. (cybette, 15:10:06)
    8. Cleaning and consolidating the info for various ports will require domain specific knowledge for each device (cybette, 15:12:31)
    9. Discussions to continue in #sailfishos-porters and to be revisited in future meetings hopefully with solutions :) (cybette, 15:15:34)

  5. Documentation priorities for SailfishOS - lbt (20 min) (cybette, 15:16:28)
    1. There's actually lots of documentation for the components that make up SailfishOS but it's rather scattered and there is a lot missing. So the discussion is "What are the priorities - and why?" (cybette, 15:16:33)
    2. Remember that this is more than just for SFOS app developers; we have platform developers; hardware adaptaters; UI designers etc. We also need to provide information about the whole platform; APIs for each area; tool documentation etc. Finally there are things like collaboration and processes (MRs, code reviews, bug/feature handling). (cybette, 15:16:43)
    3. http://pastie.org/10718032 (lbt, 15:19:16)
    4. SailfishOS documentation outline http://pastie.org/10718032 (cybette, 15:20:41)
    5. Current plan is to use a wiki for most of the material, and as a sailfishos.org site with a lot of CC licensing for the content (cybette, 15:23:08)
    6. there's a TJC question : https://together.jolla.com/question/129182/what-should-sailfishos-documentation-be-providing/ (lbt, 15:24:01)
    7. Use the TJC link above to gather info, votes and feedback (cybette, 15:26:05)
    8. Things to be considered: contribution capabilities, upstream docs, handling versioning in wiki (cybette, 15:33:37)

  6. General discussions - everyone (10 min) (cybette, 15:35:47)
    1. Developers are more than welcome and definitely needed for sfdroid. Development will slow down from March onwards. (cybette, 15:41:14)

  7. Wrap up and next meeting (5 min) (cybette, 15:45:20)
    1. Next meeting Thurs Mar-03 @ 14:30 UTC, Chairperson cybette (cybette, 15:48:23)
    2. keep an eye on the docs wiki please - it'd be nice to see community contributions in MWC :) (lbt, 15:49:12)


Meeting ended at 15:50:04 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)


People present (lines said)

  1. cybette (104)
  2. stephg (67)
  3. lbt (47)
  4. sledges (37)
  5. jlassila1 (30)
  6. r0kk3rz (28)
  7. Smar (18)
  8. tortoisedoc (13)
  9. locusf (10)
  10. nh1402 (8)
  11. fravaccaro (5)
  12. kimmoli (5)
  13. M4rtinK (5)
  14. urjaman (5)
  15. veskuh_ (5)
  16. ghosalmartin (4)
  17. mal- (3)
  18. jjoe (2)
  19. merbot` (2)
  20. pketo (2)
  21. daitheflu (2)
  22. gerbick (2)
  23. coley_ (2)
  24. Jare (1)
  25. dcaliste (1)
  26. n9mx (1)
  27. eugenio (1)
  28. Raymaen (1)
  29. guzik (1)
  30. fpe (1)
  31. Stskeeps (1)
  32. Sage_ (1)
  33. andybranson (1)
  34. lainwir3d (1)
  35. TylerTemp (1)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.