#sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 30th September 2021

Meeting started by sledges at 07:00:11 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Meeting information and agenda can be found here: (sledges, 07:00:25)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-30th-september-2021/8043 (sledges, 07:00:28)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info (sledges, 07:00:47)
    1. Otto Mäkelä, community (ExTechOp, 07:00:51)
    2. Simonas Leleiva -- privateer for Jolla (sledges, 07:00:56)
    3. fridlmue - community (fridl-m, 07:01:06)
    4. Chris Adams, privateer @ Jolla (chriadam, 07:01:15)
    5. poetaster, community (poetaster, 07:01:19)
    6. cartron - community (cartron, 07:01:20)
    7. Damien Caliste, community (dcaliste, 07:01:23)
    8. Andrew Branson - sailor (abr, 07:01:44)
    9. Simo Piiroinen - sailor (spiiroin, 07:01:57)
    10. Lukáš Karas - community developer (karry, 07:02:19)
    11. Joona Petrell - sailor @ Jolla (jpetrell, 07:02:29)
    12. Ville Nummela - sailor @ Jolla (ViGe, 07:02:53)

  2. droidmedia buffer imports and H264 encoding (7.5 min -- asked by fredldotme) (sledges, 07:05:13)
    1. <fredldotme> I'd like to use droidmedia to encode H264 frames and send them over Miracast using our LGPLv3 licensed component in Ubuntu Touch (sledges, 07:05:25)
    2. https://github.com/ubports/aethercast (sledges, 07:05:31)
    3. <fredldotme> It needs an additional API to import ANWB handles, so I'd like to know if there's interest from SailfishOS and talk about details. (sledges, 07:05:37)
    4. <Jolla> We definitely have interest to follow up on the topic, and our sailors promised to help give pointers during the meeting where they can. (sledges, 07:06:04)
    5. David Llewellyn-Jones - late and apologetic sailor @ jolla (flypig, 07:07:35)
    6. https://cs.android.com/android/platform/superproject/+/master:frameworks/av/media/libmediaplayerservice/StagefrightRecorder.cpp (abr, 07:12:55)
    7. Have a look at the screen recording mode of StagefrightRecorder. The droidmedia recorder could possibly be convinced to do something similar (abr, 07:15:12)

  3. QML App - force SW-keyboard to open when "HW-keyboard" is plugged (7.5 min -- asked by fridlmue) (sledges, 07:15:31)
    1. Denis Grigorev - sw developer @ OMP (d-grigorev[m], 07:15:31)
    2. <fridlmue> When something is plugged to the Phone's USB-Port that appears to be a HID Keyboard, the Software-Keyboard does not pop up. If e. g. a YubiKey is plugged, it seems to be accepted as hid, which is good. But if I want to have user input while the device is plugged I can't. Can I force the keyboard to appear somehow (at best in QML only), also when a "HW-keyboard" is plugged? (sledges, 07:15:48)
    3. <Jolla> We can certainly see the value(*) of using virtual keyboard with HW keyboard (also enabling hybrid solutions like using hardware keyboard to type, but still having the virtual prediction bar and emoji layout available on the software). (sledges, 07:16:44)
    4. <Jolla> You could just unplug USB keyboard (or unpair Bluetooth keyboard) to get the virtual keyboard to show, but unfortunately there is no force option currently supported for cases where unplugging is not an option. Sounds like YubiKey is one case which should not affect the virtual keyboard visibility. (sledges, 07:16:59)
    5. <Jolla> Other than Gemini what is the use case of why HW keyboard cannot be unplugged? (and Gemini should show SW keyboard when its HW keyboard is slit-closed) (sledges, 07:17:36)
    6. <Jolla> (*) HW keyboard being tied to specific character layout, some language inputs require prediction bar (Chinese Pinyin), you may have Bluetooth keyboard paired but prefer to use on-screen keyboard for some quick input task (sledges, 07:18:10)
    7. <jpetrell> here is the logic if somebody wants to have a look (sledges, 07:22:18)
    8. https://github.com/sailfishos/maliit-framework/blob/master/maliit-framework/src/mimhwkeyboardtracker.cpp (sledges, 07:22:24)
    9. https://together.jolla.com/question/173332/sailfish-x-bluetooth-thinks-speaker-is-keyboard-and-disables-touch-screen-keyboard/ (sledges, 07:31:27)

  4. Company support for mapping and navigation (15 min -- asked by ddobrev) (sledges, 07:31:50)
    1. <ddobrev> Pure Maps is by far the best choice for mapping and navigation for Sailfish. Unfortunately, since its author of @rinigus is forced to work mostly alone, progress is slow. Is there any way Jolla can help speed work up on this critically important application? (sledges, 07:31:57)
    2. <Jolla> We should definitely do more in the location area (mapping, positioning, etc.), but maybe not for individual apps but in terms of the overall developer offering (as @rinigus said Pure Maps is not the only Maps client developed for Sailfish OS). (sledges, 07:32:14)
    3. <Jolla> Developing a native mapping and navigation solution is no a small feat, we emphatise with @rinigus and @Karry efforts. In Jolla 1 times we developed Maps app with HERE-based map tiles, directions and points of interest. Taking that to fully-fledged navigation solution would have required a substantially bigger investment. (sledges, 07:32:26)
    4. <karry> for me as developer, I would more like to keep Jolla support and improve existing and new apis for all developers... not just one specific stack (sledges, 07:48:03)

  5. (Stop) censorship in the forum (15 min -- asked by ddobrev) (sledges, 07:50:09)
    1. <ddobrev> Just the other day I saw @deloptes's and others' opinions censored for no reason at Total Buggy OS - Xperia 10 Plus (sledges, 07:50:16)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/total-buggy-os-xperia-10-plus/7710 (sledges, 07:50:23)
    3. <ddobrev> This is the first time I've seen any censorship here, and I'd like to discuss what we all can do to make it the last one as well. (sledges, 07:50:27)
    4. <Jolla> Nobody's opinions are censored. Flagging posts is a good thing and helps us moderate the forum. Moderators will try to review the flagged comments quickly, but please be patient e.g. during weekends or holidays. (sledges, 07:50:39)
    5. <Jolla> Opinions are encouraged, rude language and name calling is not. See forum guidelines (sledges, 07:50:48)
    6. https://forum.sailfishos.org/faq (sledges, 07:50:52)
    7. <Jolla> ^ how to maintain polite and productive discussion. (sledges, 07:51:00)
    8. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/forum-censorship-some-proposals/ (sledges, 07:56:06)

  6. Make packaging for Harbour much easier by depending on Jolla packages like: https://github.com/sailfishos/python3-imaging and ffmpeg-tools (5 min -- asked by poetaster) (sledges, 08:09:45)
    1. <poetaster> Depending on Jolla packages like (sledges, 08:09:51)
    2. https://github.com/sailfishos/python3-imaging (sledges, 08:09:58)
    3. <poetaster> and ffmpeg-tools makes packaging for Harbour a bunch easier AND obviously makes build jobs on obs, for instance a lot lighter, faster... what are the chances of being permitted to require those? It's clear to me that python3-imaging, for instance, is not in 3.4 which leaves me using the approach I have now, but it's a real advantage or 4.x. (sledges, 08:10:11)
    4. <poetaster> It radically simplifies builds of Imageworks, Videoworks and Audioworks (audiocut) for Harbour and chum if this route opens. (sledges, 08:10:20)
    5.  <Jolla> Extending allowed packages is definitely possible, we will investigate if there are issues with these particular packages. (sledges, 08:10:36)

  7. "hub" for users interested in trying out ports (10 min -- asked by flypig) (sledges, 08:17:27)
    1. <flypig> I recently wanted to provide someone (unfamiliar with SFOS) details about what ports are available. I found the info on the web to be fragmented and hard to negotiate. It would be useful to have a launch-point that can be easily kept up-to-date (a forum wiki maybe?) for this. There are already some resources available: (sledges, 08:17:32)
    2. https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris (sledges, 08:17:46)
    3. https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci (sledges, 08:17:49)
    4. https://build.sailfishos.org/project (sledges, 08:17:56)
    5. ^ and search for device codename (sledges, 08:18:00)
    6. https://github.com/search?q=droid-config- (sledges, 08:18:03)
    7. ^ and search for droid-config-<device codename> (sledges, 08:18:09)
    8. https://build.sailfishos.org/project/subprojects/nemo:devel:hw (sledges, 08:18:28)
    9. https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris (sledges, 08:28:35)
    10. https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/sailfishos-on-tucana (sledges, 08:30:42)

  8. XA2 phone calls no audio (15 min -- asked by sailr) (sledges, 08:39:15)
    1. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/3-4-0-22-xa2-phone-calls-no-audio/2446 (sledges, 08:40:03)
    2. <sailr> For quite some time now, there has been the problem that no sound is heard on the XA2 during calls and the device sometimes has to be restarted several times. I would like to know what Jolla's strategy is to fix this problem. Is there anything we as users can do to help solve the problem(e.g. transmit log files)? Please see the linked thread for more information. (sledges, 08:40:09)
    3.  <Jolla> We have been investigating the issue, but unfortunately don't have a solution yet as the issue has been hard to reproduce reliably. (sledges, 08:40:54)

  9. General discussion (15 min) (sledges, 08:48:04)
    1. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/sailfish-ports-page/8422 (flypig, 08:50:05)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/sailfish-ports-page/8422 (sledges, 08:50:14)
    3. <ViGe> Regarding the hidden posts in forum, I figured I could share a TIL: In addition to trust levels, the AI also takes into account how often the moderators have agreed with the flagger. And it's thought process is actually reviewable, at least for the moderators. I'm starting to think there aren't any obvious bugs there. (sledges, 09:01:04)
    4. For Thaodan: <pherjung> just for information, the telegram bridge is broken (sledges, 09:01:44)

  10. Next meeting time and date (5 min) (sledges, 09:05:32)
    1. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/join-our-10-year-celebration-in-berlin-on-14th-october/8375 (sledges, 09:07:36)
    2. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/jolla-10-years-celebration-in-berlin-october-14-tickets-174993539387 (sledges, 09:09:59)
    3. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/how-to-unlock-the-encryption-of-your-home-if-you-dont-know-your-lock-code-bruteforce/3004/8 (sledges, 09:10:42)
    4. Next meeting will be held on Thursday 21st October 2021 at 7:00am UTC: 2021-10-21T07Z (sledges, 09:14:22)
    5. https://forum.sailfishos.org/c/community-news/25 (sledges, 09:14:37)

Meeting ended at 09:14:43 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)

People present (lines said)

  1. sledges (144)
  2. poetaster (44)
  3. flypig (36)
  4. abr (28)
  5. Nico (28)
  6. fridl-m1 (22)
  7. ExTechOp (13)
  8. Domo_ (13)
  9. ViGe (10)
  10. karry (8)
  11. jpetrell (7)
  12. lolek (5)
  13. sailbot (4)
  14. spiiroin (3)
  15. thilo[m] (3)
  16. piggz (2)
  17. fridl-m (1)
  18. chriadam (1)
  19. cartron (1)
  20. dcaliste (1)
  21. d-grigorev[m] (1)
  22. cartron_ (1)
  23. pherjung (1)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.