#sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 14th April 2022

Meeting started by flypig at 07:00:16 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Meeting information and agenda can be found here: (flypig, 07:00:23)
    2. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/community-meeting-on-irc-14th-april-2022/10931 (flypig, 07:00:27)

  1. Brief introduction (5 min). Please prefix your name/handle with #info (flypig, 07:00:40)
    1. David Llewellyn-Jones - sailor @ jolla (flypig, 07:01:11)
    2. pherjung - community (pherjung, 07:01:24)
    3. Mark poetaster - community (poetaster, 07:01:28)
    4. Peter G. - community (nephros, 07:02:48)
    5. thigg - community (thilo[m], 07:02:58)
    6. Santhosh M - User (santhoshm, 07:03:24)
    7. Otto Mäkelä - community (ExTechOp, 07:03:40)
    8. Damien Caliste, community (dcaliste, 07:04:24)
    9. Simonas Leleiva - privateer (sledges, 07:04:25)
    10. Raine Mäkeläinen - sailor @ Jolla (rainemak, 07:04:40)

  2. Community bug coordination (15 mins -- asked by flypig) (flypig, 07:07:03)
    1. <Jolla> This is a follow-up topic from the last meeting, where we discussed about better bug tracking on the forum. (flypig, 07:07:09)
    2. <Jolla> pherjung thigg and nephros rose to the challenge, and have already done some amazing work improving the forum bug pipeline. (flypig, 07:07:14)
    3. <Jolla> This is an opportunity for them to share and discuss the processes they've devised further. (flypig, 07:07:20)
    4. https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2022/sailfishos-meeting.2022-03-31-07.00.html (flypig, 07:07:26)
    5. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/new-role-community-bug-coordinator/10935 (flypig, 07:07:30)
    6. sebix - community and latecomer (sebix[m], 07:14:48)

  3. Structure EA phase with specific task (30 mins -- asked by pherjung) (flypig, 07:24:08)
    1. <pherjung> Seems EA phase is "let's try and catch them all". (flypig, 07:24:38)
    2. <pherjung> It works well, but sometimes some bug stay in the nature and appears once update is out of EA. (flypig, 07:24:42)
    3. <pherjung> Could it be a possibility to add a page to https://docs.sailfishos.org/Develop/Collaborate/ listing all things to test (Fingerprint, specific function, etc.) for each device. (flypig, 07:24:46)
    4. <pherjung> Then each user report what doesn't work in a new topic? (flypig, 07:24:51)
    5. https://docs.sailfishos.org/Develop/Collaborate/ (flypig, 07:24:56)
    6. <Jolla> Thanks for this question. (flypig, 07:25:12)
    7. <Jolla> The feedback we get from the community at all stages is a critical way for us to catch and understand bugs, so improvement to this process is worth exploring. (flypig, 07:25:16)
    8. <Jolla> We discussed this internally, particularly with our testing team, to see how it might fit in with their processes. (flypig, 07:25:24)
    9. <Jolla> When it comes to EA testing, the biggest area of risk is around regressions caused by changes. (flypig, 07:25:31)
    10. <Jolla> Consequently, the most beneficial focus for testing is on those areas listed in the Release Notes. (flypig, 07:25:39)
    11. <Jolla> As an immediate suggestion, if you'd like to propose a PR to add a "Testing advice" page under the page you suggested, then we can discuss it further on that PR. (flypig, 07:25:47)
    12. <Jolla> We have a plan to move the Known Issues section of the Release Notes to the documentation site, and once there it would make sense to reference this in the testing guidelines, to avoid duplication of effort. (flypig, 07:25:58)
    13. https://docs.sailfishos.org/Develop/Platform/ (flypig, 07:26:10)
    14. pherjung will take some time next week and submit a PR. (flypig, 07:28:53)

  4. Using compass under Sailjail (5 mins -- asked by direc85) (flypig, 07:29:20)
    1. <direc85> As I updated GPSInfo with appropriate Sailjail permissions, it turned out that compass isn't included in Location permission. (flypig, 07:29:33)
    2. <direc85> Compass works when Sensors permission is added (which makes sense), but Sensors permission should not be used by applications directly. (flypig, 07:29:38)
    3. <direc85> This makes GPSInfo and many other apps Harbour-incompatible. (flypig, 07:29:42)
    4. <direc85> Is compass going to be added to Location permission, Sensors added to allowed list, or can it be solved otherwise? (flypig, 07:29:48)
    5. <Jolla> Thanks for this question. Access to the compass is a very reasonable requirement for apps. (flypig, 07:30:27)
    6. <Jolla> Up until now we hadn't done this because the sensor permission is quite broad (due to the way the dbus interface works, restricting it to just the compass is challenging). (flypig, 07:30:34)
    7. <Jolla> There also didn't seem to be many apps that required it. (flypig, 07:30:42)
    8. <Jolla> However, since this is needed, we now have a PR to add the Sensor permission to the Location permission group. (flypig, 07:30:50)
    9. (thanks to rainemak). (flypig, 07:31:04)
    10. https://github.com/sailfishos/sailjail-permissions/pull/122 (flypig, 07:31:04)
    11. <Jolla> Please feel free to comment on that PR. In the meantime a workaround would be to use the Camera permission, which contains the Sensors permission. (flypig, 07:31:09)
    12. <Jolla> Note however that this may change in future, so should only be considered a temporary workaround. (flypig, 07:31:15)
    13. <Jolla> Likewise the Location permission may be tightened in future so that it doesn't allow access to non-compass settings. (flypig, 07:31:21)
    14. <Jolla> So please bear this in mind if adding these permissions to your app. (flypig, 07:31:21)
    15. <Jolla> In case someone wants to contribute to refining the permissions, all of the relevant code is open source. Some hopefully useful links follow. (flypig, 07:31:31)
    16. <Jolla> Location permissions (flypig, 07:31:39)
    17. https://github.com/sailfishos/sailjail-permissions/blob/master/permissions/Location.permission (flypig, 07:31:41)
    18. <Jolla> Sensors permissions (flypig, 07:31:45)
    19. https://github.com/sailfishos/sailjail-permissions/blob/master/permissions/Sensors.permission (flypig, 07:31:47)
    20. <Jolla> Allowed permissions (flypig, 07:31:50)
    21. https://github.com/sailfishos/sdk-harbour-rpmvalidator/blob/harbour-qa/allowed_permissions.conf (flypig, 07:31:52)
    22. <Jolla> SensorService DBus API tips (flypig, 07:31:55)
    23. https://docs.sailfishos.org/Reference/Core_Areas_and_APIs/D-Bus_APIs/#how-to-query-for-d-bus-apis (flypig, 07:31:57)
    24. <Jolla> sensorfw source (which provides the dbus interface) (flypig, 07:31:59)
    25. https://github.com/sailfishos/sensorfw (flypig, 07:32:02)

  5. Bluetooth passtrough to android (5 mins -- asked by stiray) (flypig, 07:38:17)
    1. <stiray> I have noticed that this option is rolling around the forums for quite a while. (flypig, 07:38:27)
    2. <stiray> It is not reasonable to expect that the applications for various bluetooth devices will be implemented natively in sailfish while on the other side market is full of various hardware with their proprietary android applications. (flypig, 07:38:34)
    3. <stiray> Avoiding buying something that at the end wont work with Sailfish is a bit of an annoyance, is there any effort to actually implement this? (flypig, 07:38:40)
    4. <stiray> I have read the specification for bluetooth "a bit" and the whole thing is a monster but probably there should be a way to present the bluetooth to the android container without implementing the whole stack. (flypig, 07:38:45)
    5. <Jolla> This has come up a couple of times before, and we apprecate that for many users, having Bluetooth support integrated with AppSupport is important functionality. (flypig, 07:39:44)
    6. <Jolla> As we have launched AppSupport as a separate product (see https://jolla.com/appsupport/) also the priority of this has increased, but as we noted back in June 2021, "We are looking into this, but we do not have any schedule to announce on this." (flypig, 07:39:54)
    7. <Jolla> There's no change from this statement at the moment. (flypig, 07:40:00)
    8. https://jolla.com/appsupport/ (flypig, 07:40:04)
    9. https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-06-03-07.00.html (flypig, 07:40:08)
    10. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/list-of-working-bluetooth-devices/8042 (flypig, 07:44:36)
    11. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/list-of-working-bluetooth-devices/8042 (poetaster, 07:44:36)
    12. stiray is interested to use a Sony WF-1000XM4 (flypig, 08:00:38)
    13. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/bluetooth-support-in-android/3120/40 (flypig, 08:00:47)

  6. KCalendarCore & Co. (10 mins -- asked by poetaster) (flypig, 08:01:14)
    1. <poetaster> Nemo-qml-plugin-calendar timeline for harbour? (flypig, 08:01:58)
    2. <poetaster> I would also be wiling to find a work-a-round to the use of the older libraries, libmkcal-qt5 libkcalcoren-qt5, but that has proven a bit difficult without docs. (flypig, 08:02:06)
    3. <poetaster> At the moment I basically have to do method for method comparison including mapping methods in extendedcalendar.h to new locations. (flypig, 08:02:11)
    4. <poetaster> I’d prefer to go with the qml-plugin solution. (flypig, 08:02:16)
    5. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/nemo-qml-plugin-calendar-timeline-for-harbour/11119 (flypig, 08:02:20)
    6. <Jolla> Even though it provides a convenient interface, the nemo-qml-plugin-calendar API was primarily designed around the requirements of the Calendar app and other calendar functionality in the operating system. (flypig, 08:02:45)
    7. <Jolla> As such it's not ideally designed or implemented for third party app use. (flypig, 08:02:47)
    8. <Jolla> It looks like you've already had some fruitful discussion with dcaliste, pvuorela and martyone, on the forum. (flypig, 08:02:53)
    9. <Jolla> Your use the DBus interface (via QDesktopServices::openUrl) to import calendar events seems to be a good solution for what you need. (flypig, 08:03:01)
    10. <Jolla> To answer your question more generally though, while we don't have any immediate plans for supporting it in harbour, our advice for others would be to work with the mkcal API. (flypig, 08:03:09)
    11. <Jolla> A lot of effort has been put into updating mkcal and the calendar stack recently, not least by dcaliste and pvuorela. (flypig, 08:03:18)
    12. <Jolla> The mkcal API isn't fixed, but if we do decide to provide a harbour-compatible way to access calendars in the future, we think it's most likely to align closest to the mkcal API. (flypig, 08:03:24)
    13. <Jolla> Consequently it's also unlikely that nemo-qml-plugin-calendar will be harbour-supported in the future. (flypig, 08:03:29)

  7. General discussion (10 min) (flypig, 08:18:49)
    1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halium (ExTechOp, 08:23:25)
    2. piggz asked about building Sailfsh OS on Halium. (flypig, 08:25:10)
    3. <piggz> the halium android rootfs runs inside an lxc container .... would mean ports would share the same android runtime, instead of all porters building DHD individually (flypig, 08:25:31)
    4. <piggz> (edited) notkit demoed it to me for the pro1-x port .. so, i'm currently running with that for the port (flypig, 08:26:20)
    5. <poetaster> re: the generic bluetooth app, this came to mind (flypig, 08:27:18)
    6. https://openrepos.net/content/jdrescher/obdfish (flypig, 08:27:26)

  8. Next meeting time and date (2 min) (flypig, 08:29:07)
    1. Next meeting will be held on Thursday 28th April 2022 at 07:00am UTC: 2022-04-28T0700Z (flypig, 08:31:04)

Meeting ended at 08:31:20 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. (none)

People present (lines said)

  1. flypig (174)
  2. poetaster (37)
  3. dcaliste (21)
  4. thilo[m] (20)
  5. pherjung (19)
  6. piggz (19)
  7. nephros (14)
  8. rainemak (6)
  9. ExTechOp (5)
  10. sailbot (2)
  11. sledges (2)
  12. sebix[m] (2)
  13. santhoshm (1)
  14. abr (1)

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.